Sign in to follow this  
OllieVR6

Simple tasks not so simple?

Is it just me, or do other people find that 'simple tasks' or jobs that you have been told take '30 minutes' take a LOT longer?

For example, yesterday I fitted a new foliage cover seal....took me 25 minutes just to get the clip off so I could get the bugger out, then another half an hour (probably more) cleaning and removing leaves and so on, then realised the cover had a crack in it, so had to glue that up, then putting it back with a new seal, lining it all up and so on. All in it probably took me 1.5 hours to do what should have been a 20 minute job!

A lot of the time it comes down to not having the right tools, I often find I'm hunting around badly (non existent) organised tool boxes looking for a tool I haven't used or seen for months but 'remember' seeing it recently, or rotten screws that need drilling out and so on. Yesterday I had the whole day to work on the C, the first time for a very long time, but after the seal and some other set backs with a couple of other bits I threw in the towel and played the xbox instead. Getting stressed out only makes things worse, so it's better that I just stop and go back to it another day!

I feel your pain I know exactly where you are comming from. Anyone says to me its only a 5 minute job I know I'll be at least half a day on it :lol:

stick with it mate :) as you find and fix these things properly it will get easier, one thing I always do if I'm taking something off is replace the bolts/screws with new from VW they only cost pennies and make it much easier for 'next time' the first time I replaced the cambelt was a nightmare every single hex bolt was rounded or frozen solid but new bolts (and some copper ease grease) mean every time since has been a dream!

Cheers

Dan

Best bet for tools is to buy a socket set etc from Halfords that comes in a vacuum formed box or tray. That way the tools you use most (socekts and screwdrivers) are already organised in a box and it's easy to see if something is missing.

It does take longer to do a job properly, like Dan says, replacing all the fasteners as a matter of course really makes life a lot more simple, I always change my fasteners for new ones unless it's a job I have done recently.

Although my recent head swapping farce I did reuse some bolts etc that were only fitted 3 years and less than 15k ago and some of those don't look so great now. Things like getting aluminium parts shotblasted and then getting some paint on them are well worth doing but it really eats up the time.

ive found getting a nice tool box and tools helps,also i get screws and nuts and bolts at the shows.they always come in handy

:lol: i did the cover seal on mine and then on a valver ,its fine gettin it off but gettin that screw back in ,you need womens hands :lol: .

This is one job I keep putting off. I got the parts sometime in August but have found no time to fit them - honest :lol: . Will now have to wait until 2011 as I'm off to Oz next week for 3 months.

You'll get better at it as you go along - tools, and the right ones are v. important. Ajob that's nearly impossible will be a piece of cake with the right tool. Also worth knowing a few tricks such as how to free seized bolts - you can use heat, penetrating oil, a stud extractor, bolt remover or even a torx or spline that's slightly larger than the bolt head socket hammered in. And always have a few spares around - bolt, clips etc as these are often useless after removal.

good tips on here ,the steel pipe on the end of a ratchet is good for releasing the bolts on bumper irons ,once they have been sprayed with wd40 ,dont tell er in doors but i used the hoover extention :lol:

i dont think i've ever done a 5 minute job on the corrado in 5 minutes - quick easy job on the c is a contradiction in terms :cuckoo:

once they have been sprayed with wd40 ,dont tell er in doors but i used the hoover extention :lol:

Cool, but what did you use to clean up the bolts? :norty:

i replaced some headlights on a 07 bmw x5....sounds simple? um not both front doors off,sill covers,front lower section,arches,front wheels,ineer arches,then lots of nuts and bolts to remove both front wings as the headlights are screwed to the rear of the wings!!!!!! simple job....um no way!

i replaced some headlights on a 07 bmw x5....sounds simple? um not both front doors off,sill covers,front lower section,arches,front wheels,ineer arches,then lots of nuts and bolts to remove both front wings as the headlights are screwed to the rear of the wings!!!!!! simple job....um no way!

That's just ridiculous.......

.....I would have done it in 30 mins :rofl:

Spent at least a full day attempting to get the carrier bolts off, got some irwin bolt grippers and the bolts were off with in 5 mins! A must buy for the tool box.

and 2x on the extension bar! :D

One weekend when the missus was away I wrote a Corrado job list of about ten things to get done over the two days. In the end I got about three jobs done. :(

Just getting the car in the garage, jacking up, on axle stands and wheels off takes me about 30 mins alone.

Took my dash out and all the heating conduits, then wife comes out saying toilet is leaking, have a look and should be a simple cystern replacment!

2 days later I have finished! the bas**rd plumber had made a complete mess of the pipe work and then boxed it in!

Now I have to go back to work tommorow and I have no dash so when I return no way will I know what goes where :censored:

cowboy builders, plumbers, electricians, mechanics bring back the death penalty!

Rant over sorry

This is one job I keep putting off. I got the parts sometime in August but have found no time to fit them - honest :lol: . Will now have to wait until 2011 as I'm off to Oz next week for 3 months.

I actually surprised myself - after the rush hour deluge on the A329M last night and that fact the screen was misting like crazy even with the fan on setting 3 I decided this job had to be done today. In total it took me 1hr 15mins. Thankfully I had replacement windscreen lower trim clips as the windscreen repair man last year obviously thought it better to break them all and instead use masses of silicon :bad-words: .

The most ridiculous job I have done was replacing the charger bracket after fitting a new water pump. The bracket has to sit in exactly the right place for 2 bolts at the bottom to go through. what should be 'push bracket in place, insert two bolts' took an hour and a half! No method, just pot luck.

The best job was replacing the ignition switch. Thought it was going to be a complete nightmare, took less than 20 minutes.

The two I'm still stuck with are engine overheating and battery draining. Who knows how long they'll take to solve..