jimpy66

How to fix the rattles and squeaks

Glove box, squeaks. Which i think is the mesh/hatched plastic on top of it rubbing on the underside of the dash.

this one was another nuisance - still not cured it totally. This was the mech inside the two panels of the door, inside the lock itself. Still squeeks if you press the door, otherwise ok.

I must be the lucky one when it comes to rattles,etc in the cabin. Somtimes a get a squeak from the shelf which covers the fusebox. I just simply give it a good coating in silicon spray and that does the trick.

After stirring up so many to the defence of the car, I felt I had to give it some loving and set about it today with felt tape, grease, WD40 etc, tightened, greased, oiled, adjusted everything that moved/squeaked and got it so that there's little noise now at all. Still a good old crash or two on the potholes, but that's unfixable- avoidance is the only answer.

As for the handling, I did say it was really good at the limit, and I was being unfair to a 15 year old car- it does handle really well, it's just that I remember the rave reviews when it was new and I had a picture in my mind as to how good it was. I regret having to admit that a few days ago I checked the tyre pressures for the first time and found 25/27psi on the front, 30 on the rears, so I take it all back. Pumped them up, then took it for a blast- it's fantastic- doh!

Pumped them up, then took it for a blast- it's fantastic- doh!

Yup, been there before! Cursing poor car and it was my fault! Something I did on the way back from meeting you was check the (top) adjusters on the shocks. What I found was that they were about 1/8th of a turn out of sync. Reset them and wound back carefully and equal amounts - the car suddenly doesn't waver about on undulations or pitch a bit under hard braking. Had an amazing drive to Aberfeldy yesterday :)

Another rattle discovered & cured - the seatbelt attachment bolts (17mm) sit through a plastic collar on the attachment hoop. Remove bolts, insert a piece of felt with a hole attach hoop, another piece of felt and then bolt back up. Same for front and rear, although the rear has the spacer collars.

Thank god I noticed this thread, the rattles are starting to do my head in and pretty much all the areas are covered in here!

Just a quick one, where do you lot get your self adhesive foam from?

You can get self-adhesive felt from Hobbycraft at the moment. It's not super-sticky, but it doesn't have to be as it weighs next to nothing. Looks tidy and OEM when fitted (even though you'll never see it).

79p for a sheet of A4... bargain!

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Edit, here's a link... I bought 5 sheets, and have so far used less than 1/16th of a sheet on the glovebox area

http://direct.hobbycraft.co.uk/products-HobbyCraft-Black-Stick-On-Felt-Sheets_272679.htm

just to add to this, one squeak that had plagued me was tracked down to being the passenger bottom right door card corner that was rubbing on the lhs kick plate. Obviosuly its not see when the door is closed hence the problem. Hobbycraft felt did the trick! So far no more squeaks, just a few other noises i'm trying to track down, although this may just be panel flex, eg bottom of the centre console by the centre tunnel.

Not got round to tracking down the million and one knocks, squeaks and rattles yet but that will come hopefully! And I know mine is an early one (90 kr), and the interior has probably been ripped out and put back in a thousand times with the obligatory odd screw left over, but I thought the exact same thing as the OP with regard to interior build quality. Nothing seems to line up very well, and as above, lots and lots of annoying little rattles! I will get it sorted though. :rolleyes:

You can get self-adhesive felt from Hobbycraft at the moment. It's not super-sticky, but it doesn't have to be as it weighs next to nothing. Looks tidy and OEM when fitted (even though you'll never see it).

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Edit, here's a link... I bought 5 sheets, and have so far used less than 1/16th of a sheet on the glovebox area

http://direct.hobbycraft.co.uk/products-HobbyCraft-Black-Stick-On-Felt-Sheets_272679.htm

Will be buying some of this , mine is not to bad apart from the plastic that covers the spoiler motor ,sounds like i have three dozen mice in there !. Cant do anything bout the glovebox though .

http://direct.hobbycraft.co.uk/produ...ets_272679.htm

I'll have me some of that I think :cool:

I had a half-hearted attempt at getting the interior rattles out of my car a few years back and simply used a roll of draught excluder. Took off some of the dash panels, stuck on the excluder where they looked like they might be knocking and screwed them back on. Worked well with the exception I didn't do enough.

As for the quality of the Corrado, handling, etc., I haven't driven my Storm for almost two years now. I decided fixing it would cost too much and it would take it off the road for too long so bought bargain '01 diesel A3. Now, if you want to know the epitome of poor handling and soul-destroying driving, then this is the car to show you. In the meantime, I've bought myself a Lotus Elise, a car famed for it's handling and I will say it is exceptional - but the car is so different to the Corrado, there are roads I simply can not drive fast on in the Lotus, but could monster my way over them in the Corrado. As completely brilliant as the Elise is, I have come to the end of my tether with the A3 and am now stating the long haul into getting the Storm up and running again (although, economics are screaming at me to simply buy a cheap VR6 and let this once fine example of a car die peacefully - seen quite a few VRs recently going for £2K or less and I think mine will cost me about that to get it satisfactory again!!).

So, in summary, that Corrado's handling is awesome to the point I miss it like hell even when driving an Elise!

Edited by storm_warning

just to add to this, one squeak that had plagued me was tracked down to being the passenger bottom right door card corner that was rubbing on the lhs kick plate. Obviosuly its not see when the door is closed hence the problem.

Yep. Well done for spotting that one!

Ok got another one. took ages to find! The looms that run through rubber boots at the top of the bootlid go into the car. the looms themslves knock against the roof lining. solution: remove the plastic end trim, slightly pull the headlining downwards and stick a thick piece of foam in there, literally just in front of the loom.

I eliminated one annoying rattle today by removing the warning triangle. The OEM lover in me recoils at the thought, but it's another rattle gone...

looks like the tailgate seal on mine is squeeking a lot against the plastic trim on the tailgate (although it may be something else). What's a good solution to this? I was thinking a smear of vaseline or light mineral oil, although this might spread everywhere making a big mess and start attracting dust etc!

I'm still chasing one at the back (driver's side) - it went away when I removed the parcel shelf so I looked closer and found one of the rubber 'tube' parts on its hinges was missing. 70p for a new one from VW and it all seemed very promising but it's now squeaking again! Hoping it's not something expensive and suspension-related...any ideas?

The C pillars and speaker bits on the sides of the parcel shelf squeak like hell. They need a bit of new felt tape on all the parts that touch each other on most rados.

The seal running under the doors rubs against the frame. Give it a good clean (very likely that it will be filthy) and treat it with some rubber dressing. Squeak gone!