badgerman

Cup Holder Surprise

I bought some interior trims the other week and look what I found attached to it! Anybody recognise where it might be from? I am assuming there was never a Corrado cup holder. . . . . .

th_IMG_6863.jpg

th_IMG_6866.jpg

th_IMG_6865.jpg

I think Tesco of all places sell that type of stick on cup holders .

Sent from iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

I like the cup holder guys. Its very useful, best fitter to the passenger side. I've fitted one to each of my 3 Corrados. Its very oem and pops up in one motion. My one is all black and the rubber base mat is black too.

12.jpg

you just wanted to show off your electric leather recaros didnt you dave ;) Very impressive, i must say.

This gives me a dilema. I assume you have to screw these into the console? I'd quite like them but I refuse to put screws in something rare :(

I've exactly the same one in mine. Looks fine when in and is really useful.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

This gives me a dilema. I assume you have to screw these into the console? I'd quite like them but I refuse to put screws in something rare :(

Mine's screwed in between the console and the carpet, pretty sure it could be removed without a trace.

self adhesive tape probably wont cut the mustard for holding two bottles of coke... and any kind of glue will wreck the console too. Think your Stuck with screws. Maybe try to fit it somewhere else?

I could try the silicone trick. I've 'glued' all sorts of things with that. If there is a large enough contact area then it should hold it. Just squeeze tons of clear DIY silicone sealant over the contact areas. If you ever want to take it off then pull very hard (might need something thin like a credit card slid between the contact area) and then the residue just peels off without leaving a mark.

How large is the contact area between the cup holder and the console?

Maybe of interest to the people who dont smoke in the car but i never use the ash tray and have been sorting out a replacement holder in my spare time when i can be arsed

Iv had the top cut already just need to make some form of tubing sorted and a base for it

Ill post up pics wen its done for all to see

VW part no. is 3A1862531 0C1 (the last three digits denote colour, in this case OC1 is black). A new one will take some finding and cost some i imagine. i bought one last year, found a dealer in ireland who had it on the shelf for years. it cost £50.00 delivered.

but very usefull and I think doesn't look out of place.

The last one on e-Bay.de went for £65!

I've just got hold of one, thankfully for a lot less than that, but they are very hard to find. I'd been looking for a long time.

There is no large contact area behind the cup holder itself so gluing probably wouldn't work. If you're so worried about the trim then buy a 'spare', but to be honest I'm just going with the screws. Into a beige console :-P

Do you think I should dye/paint the cupholder beige to match the rest of the interior, or should I leave it black?

Edited by tony_ack

Black on beige will look out of place. So I think you should sell it to me as I have a matching black interior. Sorry.

(actually yes I think you should recolour it to match the interior)

It looks like a cheap Halfords accessory, genuine or not. No Corrado deserves such hideousness stuck to it's interior.

I will have a look at the one I have and might give it a trim in black (or beige) if anyone fancies it?

I have a Passat one in mine - you can get them from some third party suppliers in the UK, German eBay and from the states. I find it really handy - don't try sticking it on, it's supposed to be held on with two trim screws.

I used to have 2 black ones and one grey one, and will keep the black and sell the grey if anyone is interested - only problem is the grey does not quite match if the interior is older than the holder and could do with a little darkening.

Edited by fendervg