Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Was, Schrick VGI GB, now show us yours!

Pics 8)

I fitted some hose clamps to the vacuum pipes today (they were definately leaking) and the top end seems to have returned. :D

Also a pic of my bonnet, once the paints touched up i reckon it will look ok.

No need, the hole is only about a half cm deep to clip the damper into, it doesnt actually go straight through into the intake hose.

Good work boys :lol:

Corradovr6sc, supercharger *and* Shrek! Jees that thing must fly! The schrick really kicks in at 3500 rpm and that's also when the charger starts to get going, so you must have a real kick at that rpm :lol:

Got my AmD gas flowed throttle and AmD mapped ECU (mapped for the schrick and bigger TB) on now and it really hauls arse at 3500rpm :lol: It's mad. Finally the Corrado gets the torque it deserves and the 2.9 no longer feels like a sloth.

K

Yes the power comes in like a turbo now, big mid-range thump plus strong top end. :) Can't really tell if the top end is better than before but the engine is certainly a lot punchier lower down. The switchover is smooth too.

I've also changed the vacuum line from the tank to the solenoid with a smaller bore hose so it's a nice tight fit. Other than that no fitment problems except the bonnet of course.

Yeah I found that too with the hosing mate. They just give you a length of generic hose that is too small for the bigger of the two vacuum resevoir outlets and too loose for the solenoid outputs :roll:

I might invest in some smaller bore hosing for the top solenoid output at some point.

Well all I can say is that without a supercharger, my engine feels it's got a low pressure turbo at 3600rpm, so your's must be silly 8)

£1000 well spent I feel :lol:

K

What is the correct torque for manifold nuts? It said 15-20 nm on the schrick instructions and 25 nm for the standard manifold in the Bentley or doesn't it matter :?

Yeah the top half of the manifold just needs nipping up to Schrick instructions as it's a softer gasket.

The lower section to head tighten as per Bentley as it's a coated steel gasket and needs a wee bit more pressure.

K

At around 3900ish rpm you should be pulling 100mph in the VR, so if yours is pointing over to 110+, it's way off!

K

Ive just checked this out on mine, im at about 4250rpm at 100mph in 5th, maybe Star got the final drive gear mixed up with another when they fitted my diff. :lol:

Kev, so do you think its worth the extra to get the larger throttle body and a remap then?

Ive just checked this out on mine, im at about 4250rpm at 100mph in 5th, maybe Star got the final drive gear mixed up with another when they fitted my diff. :lol:

Yep, you've got a diff alright :wink:

Kev, so do you think its worth the extra to get the larger throttle body and a remap then?

If this morning's journey to work is anything to go buy, absolutely! MIne's still got an intermmitant fault where it holds back when you boot it (MAF I think) but when it's all working, yeah the TB and ECU makes hell of a difference. Loads of torque from tick-over to 3500, then the characteristic VGI kick, totally seemless changeover and then pulls as normal to 6K. I don't think either on their own would give massive improvements but together + the Schrick, it's a superb combination.

Stuck behind a lorry at 56mph in 4th is superb, just squeeze the gas and you're pulling up behind the car in front in next to no time. I reckon the 50-70 time has been slashed by well over a second.

The only snag now is the engine really feels like it needs the 268 cams :oops: Next year maybe....

I would say if your engine isn't pinking when you gun it hard at 3600rpm, even on steep hills, and you like the feel of it, put a remap and TB in the Pending tray. If the car does pink a bit and you feel the Schrick could give you more, put the TB and remap in the In-tray.

The engine is smoother with remap, a lot smoother.

K

I'm really missing mine......Need to get on with polishing it ASAP. Mine won't pull from 3000rpm in top now like it used to....in fact, for the first day I had it on the road I thought it was running on 5 cylinders because it felt so flat under 3000!!

Even with the low gearing?

Sheesh...

Know what you mean though, the flatness below 4K is shocking for an almost 3.0 litre engine!

[ totally seemless changeover and then pulls as normal to 6K.

Just to update myself, I thought I'd give it some hard beans past 4K on the way home tonight (restrained myself until now due to my shagged upper tensioner) and it pulls harder than standard past 4K. A lot more so actually. More air and more fuel = more speed :lol:

When the chains are done next week and they're not so sloppy, I should see another small improvement.

The engine is unbelievably smooth when chipped. It behaves and feels like a BMW 328i now, but doesn't sound like one though unfortunately.

K

The engine is unbelievably smooth when chipped. It behaves and feels like a BMW 328i now, but doesn't sound like one though unfortunately.

But you don't look like a twat driving a Corrado don't you find?

I never felt a twit driving my old Bimmers. Who gives a t#ss what people think :lol:

I mean come on, you have to be very liberal minded to drive a Violet coloured Corrado :wink:

"The only snag now is the engine really feels like it needs the 268 cams Next year maybe.... "

Glad you're enjoying it Kev. I'd heard that fitting the cams with the schrick can negatively effect the low down torque in trade-off for more top end. I might well be wrong though!! Perhaps someone who has experienced a car with the schrick with and without the cams can comment...

I also notice that you say yours kicks at 3,500k? Maybe each car is different (and mine has been remapped too) but I get that Low Pressure Turbo-like feel from just over 3k (maybe ~ 3,100rpm).

Still, the manifold is a superb mod eh?! :D Glad to hear that you're enjoying it.

I think PhatVR6 has used the Schrick with and without 268 cams. He seems to rate them very highly and most other folk that have the manifold and 268s don't seem to suffer a loss of bottom end.

There's always the 248 and 256 profile cams if you want to focus on the midrange more though.

Yeah my torque starts building strongly at 3000rpm but it's at it's strongest at 3500-3600rpm. Know what you mean about the low pressure turbo feel, don't forget the Schrick is pushing 6psi in at it's peak resonance!

Mine still isn't quite there but it's a vast improvement. My chains are slack and the upper tensioner is shot, so when all that's done next week, it should run more consistently.

That'll do me for a year and then I'll look at some cams and shortening the gear ratios a bit.

Kev

I dropped the car off at Stealth today and had a chat with a fellow Schricked VR driver. He recently put the Schrick 268 cams in and he says it really polishes off the engine nicely. His is developing 223bhp with 209lb/ft torque. Nice :lol:

Cams added to the shopping list me thinks!

Now I've got a ropey old BMW for a week. I miss the C already :(

K

Looking forward to finding out if you get a new steering rack on, and if that sorts a few things out, kev!

Yeah me too.

Incidentally Vince showed me the late solid tensioner and we both agree it will work. So it's going in :lol:

K