8vMatt

What Parts Do You Want To See Made From Carbon?

Hi guysI've been talking to a Carbon Fibre manufacturer company over in China. Well as the conversation has progressed, it turns out that they would be willing to produce Corrado parts from original items used for a mould. I am willing to send over a spoiler and number plate plinth to start with. I have been thinking about how much it cost to ship a bare tailgate! Hmmm. What other items would be popular and wanted around here?

Drivers side front wing !

Obsolete from the dealers .

Spoiler and number plate plinth are readily available from Dogger in c/f !

Why not send a whole car over to them in a container. Any of the heavy panels would be benefit from being CF'd. Bonnet, doors, bumpers, sunroof etc etc.... they'd have to be very keenly priced though.

doors would be a great loss right there, that would be amazing, ive got two spare if its possible and you need them to send

perhaps someone who works at VW could get hold of the engineering drawings for the various panels. Failing that, it would perhaps be cheaper to get them measured up here and the drawings sent over for them to price up?

Good idea though Matt, we may just end up with super light carbon fibre cars that last forever!

would love to have a full chassis made of carbon :)

seriously, front wings but only with pulled out arches, doors would be great with new shape audi a6 handles, bonnet of course, tail gate, spoiler, number plate plinth, sunroof panel, mirrors - why not :)

Gearknob and handbrake lever :D

Oh and yes... a carbon rear spoiler! As bristolbaron says on the next page, the Spoonfed ones are very nice but I think I'd rather pay Chinese prices! Got a Chinese framed carbon road bike and more than happy with it.. they've proven themselves to me already! :)

Edited by Jim

Why not send a whole car over to them in a container. Any of the heavy panels would be benefit from being CF'd. Bonnet, doors, bumpers, sunroof etc etc.... they'd have to be very keenly priced though.

I will give a complete car shell, you will pay for shipping :)

Both front wings in a Carbon/Kevlar hybrid would be great, and using Kevlar would stop any stone damage from the inside out.

I'm not sure I'd want to be in an accident with carbon fibre wings or more importantly doors.

All parts would be wanted if the price was right.. Spoonfed are producing some amazing items, but there's no way i'm paying £500 in total for a carbon spoiler & plate holder and urethane splitter.

I'm not sure I'd want to be in an accident with carbon fibre wings or more importantly doors.

I agree, I wrote off my Elise last year and while not CF the fibreglass splintered in the same way and left my arms in tatters!!!

Regards parts I'd consider the little trim piece between the headlights and bumper. Nice and subtle. Can't think of anything else outside thats not being done already.

Inside how about the sunroof controls or door pockets?

Edited by Pete

I agree some of the interior parts would be very handy - steering cowl and centre console spring to mind, you could spray them Matt black if the CF weave wasn't desired....

Mark

All parts would be wanted if the price was right.. Spoonfed are producing some amazing items, but there's no way i'm paying £500 in total for a carbon spoiler & plate holder and urethane splitter.

I completely agree with this, Speedfed are awesome at what they do. Beautiful parts that I would want BUT can't afford. I'm sure I could get stuff other pockets could afford though. The pics of the parts from them look to be very nice indeed.

Mk5 Golf Mirror Covers-

golf5gtimirrorcover1.jpg

Mk5 Golf GTi OEM Engine Cover-

GolfMK5GTIEngineCover4.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

I agree, I wrote off my Elise last year and while not CF the fibreglass splintered in the same way and left my arms in tatters!!!

Regards parts I'd consider the little trim piece between the headlights and bumper. Nice and subtle. Can't think of anything else outside thats not being done already.

Inside how about the sunroof controls or door pockets?

Kind of putting me off getting safety items like the doors, wouldn't like to think about the crash side of things. Trims are no problem.

The trim bit below the headlights, you're better off getting a carbon look wrap for that bit as its part of the slam panel. How about a full Carbon Slam Panel :nuts: :drinking:Hmmm, I've got a late 16v one at home, how different is it to a VR one?

The dash/console insert

Oh the clocks surround, I've got one of those at home I could send off. Not sure how in demand it would be though.

Hmmmm, well doors have huge side impact bars for starters and secondly, wings are no where near the passenger cell are they?

You're moor likely to get showered with glass in a side impact than suffer horrific lacerations from splintered CF.

Besides which, CF when properly laid up and of good quality materials does not cause any issues when crushed in an accident, otherwise how else does the Veryron, Zonda and McLaren SLR get away with full CF bodyshells?

As for token bits of carbon in the interior, I really cannot see the point. It's a bit stick on Halfords tat if you ask me.

Personally, having got a carbon bonnet, I'd like to see some other weight saving parts rather than just bling parts. Late front wings would be good even being quite a small weight saving, but given they are getting harder to find it would be great to have another source. There was a recent group buy feeler regarding carbon tailgates, but cost brought that one to an end - if this come back sufficiently cheaper then it'll open it up to a lot more people. Oh and of course, anything else that's obsolete as well....

Early wings, early bonnet, tailgate, roof panel suitable for use with a sunroof and complete doors.

The doors would have to have all the correct mounting points for the electric window fittings and the mounting point for the side impact bars etc and the same applies to the roof and tailgate panel.

As for stuff like door mirros etc I can't see the point, if you are going to hassle of getting carbon parts made up they might as well save some serious weight, otherwise just use carbon wrap etc.

The existing spoiler does not weigh much so why bother replacing it for a carbon one that will weigh about the same?

I can see the logic in the replacement late centre console though..

I can see the logic in the replacement late centre console though..

Yeah good point. That's defintely worth doing, if just to make one that's less fragile!

Trouble is though, we're always discussing these "Who'd be up for X, Y or Z" type things that never amount to anything. Alex's window reg rollers benig the exception of course. When it comes to carbon fibre, I just cannot see anyone dipping into their pockets for it when the prices come through.

I was thinking about this side of things Kev, I've read a whole load of old carbon threads that have come to nothing as you rightly point out. I thought along the lines of having people make a deposit but for someone like Andi hold it until the balance is needed to be paid (I've not asked him this yet though). Might give people the confidence to commit and not worry I could run off with their money like I've read about others doing. Also have confidence in the fact I have already spent many hundreds with this manufacturer buying Golf items to sell. I will send them small items anyway to be made into carbon as I see there is the demand to support it. Stuff like bootlids and bonnets are too big a commitment without having the deposits ready.Anyone have a spare complete centre console available for me to post off with the rest of the bits? I'm sure we could sort out a nice discount or even a free carbon item if enough sold.

Edited by 8vMatt