ChrisL

Blackberry VR6...BBS RS301's -SOLD!

Cheers Guys! Very kind words there!

Will definately be at the national this year!

Edited by ChrisL

Front crossmember and radiator support fitted!!

IMG-20130113-00535_zps47ef3cdd.jpg

waiting for a new belt from VW for the radiator fans before I can go any futher.

Very nice mate, you must be pleased with the progress.

Take it the bushes went in ok in the end then :)

Yeah, really pleased with it, just waiting for the bloody belt from VW so i can assemble and re-fit the radiator etc.

Bushes went in fine in the end thanks, I made a similar setup to yours and used plenty of lube!!!!

Nice work Chris.

Mines all been held up by the new arrival and losing the garage space so its sat in the open air :(

Front end almost complete, just the 4 main bolts to tighten, bottom covers to fit and fill / bleed the power steering system.

Hopefully this will be done by weekend then its round to the back!!!!!

Really pleased with how its turned out.

ATT76542_zpsd9bcbb96.jpg

Great work bud. It's nice to see a documented build of you taking the car to the next level!

Looks great. Very clean.

I found the bleeding of pas quite a lot easier than I thought. Did you have the rack off as well? I had to do lots of topping up. But think that was because I had the rack off and emptied all the fluid.

Looks great. Very clean.

I found the bleeding of pas quite a lot easier than I thought. Did you have the rack off as well? I had to do lots of topping up. But think that was because I had the rack off and emptied all the fluid.

No, I didn't take the rack off, just the pump and the front pipe though the rad support. I filled the pump with a syringe and was turning it while doing so. The reservoir bottle is still quite full too. I'm going to go from lock to lock a few times while its in the air then start it and do the same again.

Well started the car tonight and all seems well with the coolant, gets warm and the heater works a treat.

Really awful sound coming from the power steering pump though when the engine is running so sounds like the bearings have gone. Absolutely Gutted!!!

Well started the car tonight and all seems well with the coolant, gets warm and the heater works a treat.

Really awful sound coming from the power steering pump though when the engine is running so sounds like the bearings have gone. Absolutely Gutted!!!

It will be just air in the system mate - you need to drive it and do some figure or 8's in a car park etc - should quieten down after 50 miles or so!

Really? I turned the steering wheel lock to lock a fair few times before starting then once I started it I did it loads again. The front is in the air with the wheels off. I got underneath to find what was noisy, put a screwdriver on the pump and my ear on the other end and its a terrible noise.

Yep they really dont like to be disturbed after all it's probably the original, mine was exactly the same and it didn't quieten down it simply stopped altogether which i bet a pound for a penny will be the same for yours too Chris.

Replacement is the best policy i feel but no harm in trying first but mine went and had to drive to harewood Macho style lol!

next time fill her up (reservoir) start it let it run for about 4-5 seconds then look at the reservoir again top it up, then drive it mine did the say thing mate simply turning it lock to lock wouldnt bleed it, if after you still getting the rumble noise then look into new pump!!

all the best

Chris

Thanks for the advise but going to just play it safe and get a new pump, but first this:

ATT99421_zpsf898281c.jpg

got most of the bits stripped now but one of the brake lines is refusing to come out of the regulator so looks like this will have to be cut and a complete new line fitted from front to back!

I was hoping I wouldn't have to do it but never mind, I have a new compensator so its no a problem really.

Jobs for tomorrow: drop the rear coilovers (got to strip the boot build to get to them), cut the brake lines that wont undo, lower the beam and attempt to remove the petrol tank.

The fuel pipe clips look to be a crimped type thing, can these still be bought and do you need a special tool to do it?

Chris I just used a high quality jubilee type one that has a thin bolt & small nut on opposite end, not just a screw type one.

Back in the garage today, seems that to get something off the car there is always something you need to undo first! couldnt drop the beam because the coilover lower bolt was hitting the petrol tank so had to take the coilover off but to get the coilover off I had to strip the stereo out the boot! Anyway, shortly after this happened:

ATT89921_zps768dfa73.jpg

Then after a bit more messing, I ended up with this:

ATT50256_zpsd4056ece.jpg

Its immaculate underneath the car, no signs of rust anywhere so just need to give it a good clean. Big thanks to Bill for keeping it garaged and not using it in winter..

Thanks Chris. I do keep tabs on what you're up to from time to time and it's great to see you taking the car to the next level - something I always planned to do but never got around to.

Keep up the good work and I do still miss it!

Small update, got some bits back from the platers, this is just a small selection from all the bolts, clips etc

IMG-20130214-00639_zps54fd68b4.jpg

Any further news on the PAS pump?

Going to swap it when I've finished the rear, didn't fancy stripping the front after I'd just rebuilt it!

Well time isnt on my side at the moment and with many weekends taken up recently with swimming I just dont get any good run on the Corrado. Looks like it wont be at Elsecar.

Anyway, I got all the underneath cleaned using APC, turps and a toothbrush. All the Aluminium heat shields went for vapour blasting to give them a clean and picked them up today:

ATT93110_zps615ef1f0.jpg

ATT40581_zps9e90938f.jpg

Also got bumper iron, brake calipers, petrol tank straps and a few other bits for blasting and just waiting for my bumper heat shield to arrive from VW Germany before sending to powder coat.

Made up a rear brake pipe, painted it in Hammerite Wild Thyme (as recommended by James) and got it fitted.

IMG-20130312-00704_zps51d610c0.jpg

The rear beam brake lines are in good shape so these have been sanded to bare metal and will be painted once the end fittings have been yellow zinc coated.

Well one thing seems to lead to another and checking the coilovers I cant really fit these back on the car

IMG-20130312-00705_zpsadcc05bc.jpg

I sripped them down for a clean and the springs are not too bad but still corroded in places

IMG-20130314-00708_zpsb9d19be8.jpg

So I did this:

ATT97577_zpsd3cf1d2b.jpg

The main struts are also beyond a bit of cleaning so I did this:

ATT98871_zps92f0e855.jpg

So springs are at powder coaters and struts gone for re-plating and H&R have kindly sent me some new stickers. Should have completed coilovers by weekend and hopefully the exhaust back on.

I got all the underneath cleaned using APC, turps and a toothbrush. All the Aluminium heat shields went for vapour blasting to give them a clean and picked them up today

That's a job I don't miss. Heat shields look the part though. And good progress to boot. Tres bon.

So got the springs back from powder coat and the struts from the platers. They've both done a great job and along with the new stickers from H&R they almost look like new.

So from this:

IMG-20130312-00705_zpsadcc05bc.jpg

To this:

ATT01382_zps71cfd1ad.jpg

Off to the garage to fit the heat shields and exhaust.

Edited by ChrisL