20vtvw

DBP from 24v to VRT

Here is my corrado vr6 that ive had for a few years now,i bought it as a runaround wilst i smoothed the engine bay in my red 1.8t rado(ended up finding too much rust so got scrapped[:^(])

anyway i then got stuck into this vr,Its a dark burgundy pearl 93 vr ,i fitted the cream leather,all red rears and momo steering wheel from my red one ,then added coilovers and 8x16 merc 8 holes,

looked like this,

08112009912.jpg

08112009914.jpg

i then built up my OZ vegas to 8 and 9x16 these are 5x112 fitment and very low offset so i had my hubs re drilled to 5x112 stud pattern so they bolt direct to hub,

rado3.jpg

rado2.jpg

bestrado.jpg

now painted centres in dbp

vegas.jpg

after having a 1.8t in my old rado the vr6 lump never felt as quick as i wanted but i do love the big 6 pot so i got myself a 24v 2.8 engine from a mk4 4motion golf[:)]

i also wanted a shorter final drive so i have got a v5 box and mk4 shifter to go in,

im doing everything myself apart from the wireing loom and ecu that i will send to andyout[:y:]

wilst in the bay i have removed the battery tray,washer bottle and any brackets that wont be needed(this is were im at now)

welding and smoothing,

radounder.jpg

nsleg.jpg

osleg.jpg

osleg2.jpg

and this is my parts runner and winter hack

A4 1.8t avant ,full cream leather and lots of toys,

audi.jpg

hope you like what iv done so far and will keep this updated as and when i can,im hoping to have it back on the road by may,june time,,

Edited by 20vtvw

Car looks awesome and beautiful colour. Look forward to seeing the updates. Good on you for doing the work yourself and Nice Audi !!!!!!!

Nice, looked superb on the cream 8 holes, you'll love the 24v, so much smother than the 12v, but unfortunately, you loose that roar

thanks,i did like the 8 holes so i have another set sat in the shed as spares,

last year i fitted all powerflex bushes front and rear and cupronickle brake lines as i want this to last a long time as i have no plans of ever gettin rid!!!

i have also removed the ABS as it never really worked very well so once the bay is painted,this week???? i will be on the look out for a non abs servo to get brakes sorted before the engine work starts,

interesting.. do you happen to have a pic of the door open so you can see the interior and wheels together?

ive been looking for a good paint colour match to the beiege leather but cant find one!

Hey Russ looking like some good work there mate!! keep it up you going faster than me anyway so sure yours will be running before mine :)

anyway take it easy buddy speak soon

Looking good mate, cream leather looks real nice in dbp coloured corrados.

Was it much of a job getting your hubs redrilled to 5x112?, im thinking of doing the same to mine, are you using m12 size bolts?, is there much metal left on the ouside of hubs?

Great build going on, I'll be keeping an eye on this one! Fantastic paint the DBP always seems to look better on other peoples cars!

thank you,

il put some pics up tommorow of the 5x112 conversion its basicly rear discs redrilled in m12 then the front hubs have a 5mm ring welded round them then redrilled as 5x112 pattern only just fits inside a 5 stud hub,

hi chris,ye im hopeing to have this back on the road in the next couple of months so youll have to pull your finger out !!!

i got the bay all painted now just a rattle can job,got them from paints4u they are a very good match,

painted.jpg

painte.jpg

sorry for pour quality pics ,

then ive fully stripped the front subframe so will get that cleaned up and painted tommorow aft.

sub.jpg

looking good mate,cant belive your going for it again outside in winter,hats off to ya!

good luck with it after your last one,keep the progress reports coming!

how did you get on with the mk1?

Pictures would be good if you dont mind, I have a couple of pictures of zaks hubs, he had a ring pressed on to the outside of his hubs, im guessing yours are pretty simalar to his

Im having trouble finding somewhere to do the work on my hubs, having the hubs drilled is not the problem i dont think, its having the ring fitted thats causing the problem, ive asked voodoo motorsport and g23 engineering, both known for wheel redrills and hub redrills, both are unable to help.

Can i ask you where you had yours done?

Cheers

James.

Looking good made, great colour too ;)

How was the paint match compared to the original?

You'll love the 24v when its in, mine is amazing so much power on tap. looking forward t reading the progress

thanks Tim,yes im doing it again outside in the cold,,i must be mad!!

the mk1 had to go as i split up from my wife and she kept the house and garage ,All good now tho as im with someone new and we are now engaged!!!

Thanks chris any progress on the vrt??

Heres a pic of my front hub ,iv just got some new dust plates so these will be stripped and painted,

hub5.jpg

i had a local engineer do them for me T B Engineering,charged me £80 i think for the two front hubs and rear discs drilling ,,

Swampy the paint match is pretty good ,i dont think i would do anything on the body but its fine for the bay or small items,

Ive now painted and rebuilt the subframe,i had the steering rack refurbished and i also polly bushed everything just a couple of months ago so should all last awile now,

bits painted,

subfr.jpg

and another shot of the bay,im really pleased with the way it looks now,

daybay.jpg

i am now getting things together to re fit the brake servo and lines without ABS ,and will be stripping the front callipers to get them blasted and powdercoated,

ive also writen out a plan of what i need get done by the end of each month so if all goes to plan the engine should be in and running by the end of april.

Great work fella! You're mad doing it outside in this weather. Sorry to hear about the MK1.

well ive got it back on 4 wheels :D so roled it back and gave it a good clean ,the dbw pedal and mk4 shifter are in so now just need to refurb my brakes get them fitted and run the looms through the legs ,this will all be done next weekend and the engine will finaly come out of the shed and be built up ready for fitting,

heres a few pics now the bays polished,

rolebay.jpg

psbay.jpg

nsbay.jpg

role4wheel.jpg

ive also been playing with the audi dropped it just enougth,

low4.jpg

this will be for sale soon to fund a respray on the rado,

thanks for them mate think i will do the same ...

havent updated this for a wile so will pop a couple of pics up to show where im at,

i sold the audi this week so have some extra funds to get this moving a little quicker,,ive ordered a load of new bits from vw and ebay ,just waiting for them to arrive now.,

engine is sat in the bay,looms all run through legs and wrapped.

plan now is to get it running and moted in the next few weeks then see if i can afford to get it all painted..

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0091.jpg

good stuff! you seem to be missing a gearbox though ;)

im doing this conversion soon as i get my loom back, already got the immo and immisons stuff defeated on ecu ,

which engine is this? i got the BDE

its the aue lump with single coilpack gearbox will be fitted this weekend as my new bolts for flywheel and clutch arrived at vw today.gonna order a united motorsport down pipe next week so should get the engine in properly soon..

i think your still winning chris but its gonna be close!!