P3rks

Ridiculous insurance after a claim.. Who to try..

Last May my Golf GTi was stolen and not recovered. I stayed on the same policy and transferred it to the Corrado (first a G60 then the current VR6), it jumped from £450 a year to £750 a year (mainly down to the claim according to the insurers).

My insurance is due for re-newal on the 18th this month..

The re-newal quote I've had is £4000.. Laughable.

I'm 28, 5 years NCB (protected), no points or convictions, one claim (as above) and had modified, fast cars since I was about 20.

Adrian Flux and HIC are more expensive than that and Sky won't touch me as the car is parked on the road.

I can get a classic insurance with a 5,000 miles a year policy for around £350-400.. But my circumstances my differ within the next few months and I may require more mileage which means classic policies could be out of the window..

What's peoples advice on who to try?

Performance direct (though they may want to shuffle you on to a classic policy). Or Aviva. I shopped around and ended up with Aviva. Cheapest by far.

Insurance quotes always seem like a bit of a lottery. There's that many contributing factors that affect the overall result.

I find chopping around with details in a screen scraper website (job, car parked, mileage, excess) then ringing the companies that guarantee to beat any quote works for me.

There will come a point where it won't get any lower though, as all you'll end up doing is having brokers trimming their margin to get the business.

Best of luck

James

I'll give them a try..

The cars modified (exhaust system, 6-branch, Coilovers and BBS RC's)

Do Aviva do modified?

Adirmal always came up cheapest for me mate.... and also try using different comparison sites

adirmals quotes were £400 different for me from compare the market to the cheaper confused.com quote which was strange....

Edited by northG60

I've found sky insurance cheapest for the last few years and Chris Knott can generally match them.

Im a bit worried what my renewal is going to be once my claim goes through. Was bracing myself for up to double this year but £4k is ridiculous.

Insurance companies are taking the p1ss. They expect everyone to repay their claim payouts via massively inflated premiums, but the whole point of insurance is claims are 'covered' by normal premiums. It's just greed. They want to have their cake and eat it. F'ckers the lot of them. They should be hated more than banks.

Anyway, I've always found Brentacre to be the cheapest. £650 to insure my R32 rado with tonnes of other mods.

Insurance companies are taking the p1ss. They expect everyone to repay their claim payouts via massively inflated premiums, but the whole point of insurance is claims are 'covered' by normal premiums. It's just greed. They want to have their cake and eat it. F'ckers the lot of them. They should be hated more than banks.

Anyway, I've always found Brentacre to be the cheapest. £650 to insure my R32 rado with tonnes of other mods.

I agree with you and insurance companies are a joke; made compulsory by law but not regulated in the prices they quote. A business model aimed to insure as high as possible and pay out as little/cheap as they can. It's a shambles.

But I'm currently with Brentacre (insured with Highways, part if LV). Brentacre have a new policy where they won't insure anyone who's claimed within 12 months. Pretty much the 4k they quoted me is simply because they don't want my custom.

Brentacre have been top trumps for about 5 years with me, I have been overly happy with them and I couldn't have recommended them enough. Not this time though and I'm so disappointed with the way my claim has been dealt with by Highways and the fact of this obscene valuation as a result of the theft they've lost my business and recommendations for years to come.

Edited by P3rks

Simillar to you I'm 30 have 6 years no claims. I use Adrian flux pay $350 a year would be 290 but I have unlimited mileage and it a classic car policy so suprised its so high for you could be on location but can't see it making that much difference. Try mentioning the best quote you can get when you phone the insurance bods, play them against each other some of them bite and can be quite competotive, even to the point of twisting the truth a little (lie) about what other companies have offered you. as long as you get a certificate of insurance stating what they have given you its legal.

But I'm currently with Brentacre (insured with Highways, part if LV). Brentacre have a new policy where they won't insure anyone who's claimed within 12 months. Pretty much the 4k they quoted me is simply because they don't want my custom.

Brentacre have been top trumps for about 5 years with me, I have been overly happy with them and I couldn't have recommended them enough. Not this time though and I'm so disappointed with the way my claim has been dealt with by Highways and the fact of this obscene valuation as a result of the theft they've lost my business and recommendations for years to come.

Ahhh! Well that's just crazy. I've been with them about 10 years, on and off now. I wasn't aware of their new policy on claims. Unfortunately they're all getting like that now. Greenlight absolutely took the P with me. Well over a grand. They actually said that if it wasn't for my claim (3 effin years ago!), they could get the premium down to £450. How long do I need to be 'punished' for a non-fault accident? It really makes my blood boil and I duly let rip into the Greenlight guy with a hellish rant :lol:

As you say, ins companies are a law unto themselves. Take license points. The DVLA stop caring about them after 3 years, but the insurance companies continue to load your premium for up to 2 years AFTER they've come off your license. They are absolute chunts. They've declared themselves judge and jury on your character and insurance worthiness.

It's about time the whole festering, corrupt mess was overhauled. Not all owners of performance or modified cars are unskilled pillocks, but we're all tarred with the same brush.

Not all owners of performance or modified cars are unskilled pillocks, but we're all tarred with the same brush.

Apart from Reidy - his car has crashed more times than a Spectrum ZX81.

Ahhh! Well that's just crazy. I've been with them about 10 years, on and off now. I wasn't aware of their new policy on claims. Unfortunately they're all getting like that now. Greenlight absolutely took the P with me. Well over a grand. They actually said that if it wasn't for my claim (3 effin years ago!), they could get the premium down to £450. How long do I need to be 'punished' for a non-fault accident? It really makes my blood boil and I duly let rip into the Greenlight guy with a hellish rant :lol:

As you say, ins companies are a law unto themselves. Take license points. The DVLA stop caring about them after 3 years, but the insurance companies continue to load your premium for up to 2 years AFTER they've come off your license. They are absolute chunts. They've declared themselves judge and jury on your character and insurance worthiness.

It's about time the whole festering, corrupt mess was overhauled. Not all owners of performance or modified cars are unskilled pillocks, but we're all tarred with the same brush.

Couldn't agree more..

For me insurance is their in case of a time of need and you should be in the same position after as you were before I.e you loose £4,000 you get £4,000 back.

so far my claim for the amount of £4,500 has cost:

*Excess - £250

*Bumped insurance premium for replacement car - £300

*This years cheapest insurance quote difference to last year - £1000

*Original premuim £450

In less than 12 months I'm over half down compared to what I should see back. Then I will pay higher premiums for the next 4 years. Whats the point of making a claim? it actually will end up costing me more money than what the car was worth.

Not to mention I'm still awaiting the settlement.

I have to pay insurance by law but the companies who supply it pretty much make it pointless to claim under normal situations. The only reason I see insurance as useful nowadays is in case you crash your/into a expensive car or cause injury. Honestly if it wasn't mandatory I wouldn't have it.

For me insurance is their in case of a time of need and you should be in the same position after as you were before I.e you loose £4' date='000 you get £4,000 back.[/quote']

Yep. I used to work at RoyalSunAlliance, so I know a thing or two about insurance :D

Back in the 16th century when insurance was first conceived (by Sun Life IIRC), it was built around that exact concept, i.e. the premiums collected build into a large 'pot' of money to pay out when required. No one should have to pay extra because Joe Bloggs ran his cow over with a tractor. It all comes out of the central pot. Proper insurance companies like SunAlliance still work to that ethic now.

It's all these little companies like Highway, Ensign, LVE and numerous others who have little or no reserves of cash and therefore like to push up everyone's premiums to cover their losses instead. But they're also doing it to increase profits. Rather than putting £10 onto 150 people's policies to cover a £1500 claim, they're shoving 100s, even 1000s on top.

Fair enough the amount of idiots and scammers are increasing on Britain's roads, but rather than the Insurance industry working to stop it, they are profitting from it.

I hear you (as I'm sure most of us do),

Currently with Admiral. Bizarrely however, I discovered my missus can insure my car for less than me, a good £2000 less even though she doesn't have a license! Admittedly I haven't had my car license long, been driving on and off for over 10 years - grown up on motorbikes but decided enough was enough, I need 4 wheels and roof over my head so got my car license last year. But, because I have 3 points on my license (L plate fell off my bike years ago...) and I was smashed off my Suzuki by a pr*ck doing an unannounced U'ee across 3 lanes of traffic (claimed off of other drivers insurance) my premiums are ridiculously high now. Costs me nearly £3000 a year to keep my valver on the road, as opposed to my missus insuring it costing her £650 a year on a provisional license. What the f*cks that about?

At the end of the day - I would have thought knowing how to drive a car safely (with a full UK Drivers License) is safer than not knowing, and an LC20 offence is often overlooked by insurance companies when getting quotes etc anyway (or so I've been told by a number of insurance companies). So why such a high price hike? I wasn't at fault when I claimed on the other guys insurance but some how this is pushing my premiums up as well?

The whole thing's a farse, no wonder people drive without insurance these days... Not that I'd ever do it mind.

Edited by tentonhammer

well, so far tried:

HIC - £4,000+

Performance Direct £4,000+

Adrian Flux £4,000+

Brentacre £4,000+

Compare the Market - Cheapest was £2,900

Sky - car needs to be parked off the road

Greenlight - Don't cover S11

Chris Knott, car has to be off the road

Aviva £3,575

I'm actually shocked..

Thing is, last October when I got the VR6 I rang around getting quotes out of curiosity and I was seeing around the £600-£800. I don't know why it's jumped so much. is it possible that because I've kicked up a fuss and disputed my claims valuation I've been blacklisted or something?

£2,900 for a 28 year old is obscene. I actually have no idea why it's gone so high. I think I could have insured the same car for less when I was 17. :confused4:

I have tried a few classic insurers and with a limited mileage of 5,000 and I've got quotes circa £400; all things considering it's not bad. Still a shambles when I was paying that this time last year for a 12,000 mile policy.

So options are: Sell the Corrado or have it as a second car and get a limited mileage classic policy... Problem with this is I have nowhere to park it other than the road.. Bad times. :sad:

Classic insurers are a price stand off between Footman James and Peter Best.. Just trying to get both to haggle lower!

Unless anyone can recommend me some other insurance companies? Pleeeeeease!!?

Edited by P3rks

Get the classic car insurance and disconnect the speedo.

Could well be to do with your postcode: http://www.motorcarinsuranceuk.co.uk/post-code-ratings.php

I had this conversation recently. My friend lives in a penthouse in Manchester, just off Deansgate. Security shuttered underground car park. But because the postcode is M3, he gets absolutely shafted on insurance. Drives a middle of the road Peugeot (even though he could afford something grander) because he refuses to be victimised by insurance companies ignorance for the paltry mileage he covers annually.

Try Peter D James insurance, we have 3 policies between our fleet with them and so far I'm ver happy with them including how they handled my incident in 2010 when someone rear ended me at a roundabout. (Silly Cow)

Get the classic car insurance and disconnect the speedo.

Could well be to do with your postcode: http://www.motorcarinsuranceuk.co.uk/post-code-ratings.php

I had this conversation recently. My friend lives in a penthouse in Manchester, just off Deansgate. Security shuttered underground car park. But because the postcode is M3, he gets absolutely shafted on insurance. Drives a middle of the road Peugeot (even though he could afford something grander) because he refuses to be victimised by insurance companies ignorance for the paltry mileage he covers annually.

I can't do that.. I want my insurance to be legit. Naughty boy! :p

Even if it was the postcode, it still wouldn't explain or justify the jump of over £3,000 in 12 months.

Try Peter D James insurance, we have 3 policies between our fleet with them and so far I'm ver happy with them including how they handled my incident in 2010 when someone rear ended me at a roundabout. (Silly Cow)

Already tried... The car has to be 20 years old.. mines only a baby at 18! :o

Just get the cheapest classic car insurance and buy another clocks. Mileage in corrado is only stored in clocks, and swap the over before and after MOT. Job done. If they rising prices that much we have to be smarter to avoid it :)

I always find confused.com give the cheapest quotes of all the comparison sites. Can't remember who my insurers are this year (I tend to change every year to get the best deal) but I payed about 200 quid last year, fully comp, wife as named driver, for my VR6. But then I am old with full no claims. Just renewed my 19 year old daughter's policy on her 1.6 Puma for about 650, which is still extortionate but a lot cheaper than many are paying. That was through Elephant. They also do a "bonus accelerator" scheme whereby you pay for 10 months but get 12 months no claims credit. My 22 year old son has just paid under 500 for his 1.8 Golf, slightly modified, with a speeding ticket less than 3 years ago. It always pays to shop around extensively, play them off against each other, and tell them politely but firmly what you think of their fees. I often get something like "I'll just go and speak to my supervisor" and they usually come back with an improved offer. So persevere, and good luck!!

Just get the cheapest classic car insurance and buy another clocks. Mileage in corrado is only stored in clocks, and swap the over before and after MOT. Job done. If they rising prices that much we have to be smarter to avoid it :)

You guuuyyyyss are baadddd! :cool:

I've just tried a quick quote on a 1997 1.1 Pug 106 as a daily hack about.. Yep you've guessed it, £1,200.. What the **** is going on? :bonk:

Exactly. They take the ****, we have to take it back.

Forgot to mention earlier, I get my kids to put me and their Mum down as named drivers, which significantly reduces the premiums. Assuming your parents have a recent clean record I would recommend trying that too. I have no idea why any of this works - the insurance industry is a law unto itself these days. It's a scandal for sure, but what can you do? When I started driving back in the 70's it was all much simpler, and much cheaper. Somehow we have allowed the situation to deteriorate to today's levels of moneygrabbing *******ishness by insurers - I wish I could think of a solution to get us back to sensible levels of corruption, but successive governments have no willingness to put things right due to the fact that they lead the way when it comes to corrupt practises.

Edited by Scotties