Sign in to follow this  
pookyvr6

Anyone done an R32 conversion yet?

Buying a new one would be hideously expensive, jedi. You'd really have to be lucky and buy a written off car with a good engine. And those are going to be pretty rare.

When you consider that a 12v vr6 engine costs £3600 from VW (in 2.9 litre guise) - and that will be a rebore of a dead 2.8, so it's probably already seen 150k miles service. A brand new cylinder block for the Corrado VR6 is (I believe) about £3k from VW. And that's just the cylinder block, nothing else...

I might be popping upto JBS this weekend so I'll have a look and see what they're planning.

I think the R32 conversion is one to watch for. Remember this engine is now being used in the Golf IV, the new Golf V, Passat, Audi A3, Audi TT and I think, although I dont know why, in some Mercedes. It will totally blow away the 20vT cause its gonna give the C the power, but still with plenty of weight over the front. Also think that now folk are getting the hang of the syncro conversion we could see a few more of these.

Just think, 240 bhp (£500 to get to 270 bhp) from a standard (therefore reliable) engine plonked in (OK so not so easy as to just plonk...).

Has anyone ever tried to buy an engine direct from VW motorsport?

I although I dont know why, in some Mercedes.

Some Merc vans have used the VR engine for years, as has the Ford Galaxy.

It's just a well packaged engine. All the benefits of large capacity in a unit fractionally longer and wider than an inline 4. VW were onto a winner with it from day one.

The R32 will be a great conversion and is already showing signs of giving massive power. Plus, all the weaknesses of the 12V engine will have been ironed out :lol:

It's 250 as standard in the TT so hints that simple ECU changes can yield good results.

K

And you get the glorious V6 sound and smoothness, too. The best of all worlds. I want one...

(A Corrado R32 that is, not a TT..)

People have been talking about this over in the US as well. Oddly enough there was a red R32 rolled here in the US. Dealer test driver rolled it. Oh and here, dont about over there, all R32s have to be driven up to 50miles before sale, to test everything :?: Anyway, so yeah it was rolled......perfect right off, 50 miles. Problem is, that prolly went back to VW to see if there was a "problem" (yeah right).

Anyway, over here, someone mentioned the R32 motor being too tall to fit into the corrado. Any truth to that? is it that different from the standard 24v VR6 in terms of size? One thing I did read about though, thinking it was in the reader's rides section of PVW, was a B4 passat with the full R32 and DSG tranny install. Now thats a swap Id love to do, considering my mom has a B4 Sedan/Saloon.

How much heavier is the 24v motor compared to the 12v?

Dealer test driver rolled it. Oh and here, dont about over there, all R32s have to be driven up to 50miles before sale, to test everything

I think where the R32 is concerned, all the gimpy VW mecahnics/salesmen will be itching to thrape it round the block, so personally I'd pass on the 50 miles @ 7000rpm quality control check!

Anyway, over here, someone mentioned the R32 motor being too tall to fit into the corrado. Any truth to that?

That's more than likely true. Don't forget VW had difficulty getting the 12V lump into a Corrado, hence the bulging, but muscular bonnet. Interesting that....if VW never put the VR in the Corrado, would we have ever had the big bonnet?

is it that different from the standard 24v VR6 in terms of size?

It's the manifold assemblies that are the big bits and will cause rubbing on the Corrado bonnets. The blocks and heads are the same size externally. I doubt VW would have gone to the expense and trouble of designing a whole new engine, as opposed to boring out the 2.8

How much heavier is the 24v motor compared to the 12v?

Not sure. The 24V has no extra cams, 1 less chain and smaller valves......the biggest weight differences will come from the variable intake and valve timing equipment and the bigger inlet manifold.

All speculation as I've never weighed and engine!

K

AFAIK the R32 engine is a rebore of the 2.8 24v, but with the addition of variable valve timing and triple-duct variable inlet manifold.

The 2.8l 24v engines do have variable valve timing and variable inlet manifolds.I`m hoping to fit one in my corrado.Got all the parts, just need the time.

Not sure. The 24V has no extra cams, 1 less chain and smaller valves......the biggest weight differences will come from the variable intake and valve timing equipment and the bigger inlet manifold.

All speculation as I've never weighed and engine!

K

The inlet is plastic on the 24v motor, so it could be lighter than a VR. Interestingly, the 24v conversions i've seen feature a custom made inlet manifold. I guess because the engine is too tall to clear the bonnet.

I knew about the Galaxy/Sharan connection, but Merc Vans - never knew that! :?

Did anyone see the R32 TT conversion in a Red Mk3 (I Think) Golf on a stand at Inters??????

If you can fit it into a Mk3 Golf, then it should go into a rado, Over 500Bhp Sounds good to me :)

steve

I knew about the Galaxy/Sharan connection, but Merc Vans - never knew that! :?

and the R32 engine is also making an appearance in a "budget" Porsche cayenne for just under £35k-ish............making the Turbo just £40k dearer for its engine and trim bits :shock: :shock: :shock: