daves16v

Corrado Short Shifter

What's the best way of removing this section ?

Probably with a dremmel, I cut down each side with a hacksaw blade then using mole grips to bend and snap the piece off, deburred it afterwards. It's a little time consuming with a hacksaw blade though.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

Hi dave, any plans to make the short shift mech for the gearbox end?

No, never felt the need to.

the gearbox end (selector cable on left from front of car, not shift cable) is only required for reducing the left/right movement of the gearlever, which would only make it easie to select the wrong gear I reckon, so as Dave says, not really much point in doing it, unless you have very short arms and can't reach reverse :)

i'll be up for one in a month or two. slightly scared by the amount i have spent on the car lately

I think I'm right in saying that I have the first short shift that Dave did, as I have his previous car.

I have a slightly shorter shift than what Dave is offering, but the workmanship is still to the same standard and I have had no problems with it.

I can highly recommend this little upgrade.

Mark

Edited by Laser Mark

Thanks Dave... Recieved mine today, very nice packed and easy to understand instructions... The unit itself looks sweeeet... Proper nice weld aswell.

Fitted it in about 20 minutes with some cigarette brakes and at night with just the interior light and the phone light, really easy.

Didnt test drive it yet but it does feel a lot better... Owned my car for 6 years, so I felt the difference straight away...

Old unit back in the box ready for post tommorow.

THANKS DAVE

Thanks Dave... Recieved mine today, very nice packed and easy to understand instructions... The unit itself looks sweeeet... Proper nice weld aswell.

Fitted it in about 20 minutes with some cigarette brakes and at night with just the interior light and the phone light, really easy.

Didnt test drive it yet but it does feel a lot better... Owned my car for 6 years, so I felt the difference straight away...

Old unit back in the box ready for post tommorow.

THANKS DAVE

Excellent, let me know how it feels on the move. Did you set it up (adjustment) as per the instructions?

I'm really keen for any feedback.

No problem... Ill let you know tommorow. The adjustment ive only done on the shifter (side way adjustment) like I said.... Instructions are very clear... Any way I know corrado inside out and im a mechanic... But maybe if you can get a better picture of the adjustment on the gear box might help some people out (the last pic on the instructions)

Yes please, this sounds a great idea. Please send me the details :)

I'm happy to do cash on collection if that helps.

Cheers!

Chris

If you're going to fit this I'd recommend buying the 2 or 3 nylon bushes that can be replaced as part of the mechanism, not sure how much they are now but a few years ago they were only a couple of quid each from VW.

Just re-read you first post Dave, have you included these in the mechanism?

Edited by davidwort

If you're going to fit this I'd recommend buying the 2 or 3 nylon bushes that can be replaced as part of the mechanism, not sure how much they are now but a few years ago they were only a couple of quid each from VW.

Just re-read you first post Dave, have you included these in the mechanism?

I only replace them if worn, from what I've seen so far they don't wear much at all. I've never seen one that has suffered any wear to be honest.

I assume you mean the bushes that the main pivot shaft drops through?

It's a little bit too easy to accidentally select reverse rather than 2nd in mine and I suspect something is worn. Would fitting this kit help with that?

It's a little bit too easy to accidentally select reverse rather than 2nd in mine and I suspect something is worn. Would fitting this kit help with that?

????? Is this a corrado? Or did you mean 1st gear?

????? Is this a corrado? Or did you mean 1st gear?

Yep and nope. I almost don't need to depress the stick to nudge it to reverse so have to be quite careful changing down from 3rd.

Sounds like you have a problem with the mech. You have to push down against a spring to get reverse, is the spring present or broken? Could be a problem on the end of the stick.

Pull the gear surround up and examine the spring near the top of the stick also check that all bolts are tight and clips are present.

What sort of turn around time would i be looking at for delivery?

Do you have any ready to ship out tomorrow

Haven't got any ready but should have some later this week.

Ah, I'll go and have a look when I get the chance. Will probably come back and have a kit off you soon enough anyway :)

Haven't got any ready but should have some later this week.

ok no probs

PM me when you have one ready and ill send payment etc

the gearbox end (selector cable on left from front of car, not shift cable) is only required for reducing the left/right movement of the gearlever, which would only make it easie to select the wrong gear I reckon, so as Dave says, not really much point in doing it, unless you have very short arms and can't reach reverse :)

So, perhaps if you're a tyrannosaurus rex?

Received my shifter and tunnel repair kit this morning - very quick delivery! Kit and instruction look very well made. I'll be fitting as soon as possible and will be back with pictures and feedback =D.

Will get my old shifter off to you as quick as possible Dave.

Many Thanks!

Chris