Roger Blassberg

Injector cleaning

Assuming that the standard VR6 injectors can be cleaned and serviced, can anyone recommend a reputable fuel injector cleaning company please?. I still get light pinking under full throttle acceleration, and one or two (but not all) spark plugs indicate lean running.

Thanks

Best wishes

RB

I dont know what others think, but I reckon a good fuel system cleaner works wonders for injectors. Ive used both Magic Bullet (around £10/12) and BG44 (around £20) in several cars in recent years. There also a product by Forte. May be worth trying???

http://mrinjectoruk.co.uk/

My girlfriends dad does them, got all the kit, did my G60 ones for me.

he has VR injectors and the can be cleaned and serviced. cant really remember prices as i got them done for free, but its worth a call!

you need to open the injectors to clean them properly, also replacing the tiny filters in them is helpful!

I would get a spare set of injectors off someone on here, or ebay, for peanuts and get those overhauled by these /\ guys. It's the only way really.

Which cylinders are showing lean? Could you have an air leak on these cyls perhaps? Maybe from perished injector O rings, or a split gasket etc?

Well worth getting them done properly, I used a guy of eBay who I'm guessing is same as Kev posted above as he was called mr injector too, flow tested them before and after, new orings and cleaned, and turned them around in a few days.

I got a 30% flow improvement on mine, pretty good I thought.

I also used BG44K as an additive. Ok, its not a patch on removal and overhaul of injectors, but it does make a massive difference. Flow was much better, bores were much cleaner, and fuel consumption was much improved after a tank full. The only thing it didn't make a big difference to was the cold start valve, but its kinda to be expected.

Thanks for all interest and replies; I'll get in touch with Mr Injector, he's just up the road from me.

Cylinder 6 seems to be the hottest running one, grey/white deposit on the plug (not oil, surprisingly for that cylinder on a 212K mile engine). I didn't renew the throttle body gasket (re-used the old one) when I did the chains job, so there may be a leak there. I'll get new seals and gaskets on and take it from there. Using standard NGK plugs by the way, so the heat rating should be ok.

Anyone know offhand the Bosch and VAG part numbers for the injectors on an ABV engine?

Best wishes

RB

Latest news on this. I did as suggested, bought a spare second-hand set on eBay and gave them to MrInjector (see reference earlier) who ultrasonically cleaned them, and replaced the filters and seals, for a grand total of £73. There is a £7 charge for return registered postage if you need it.

They are now in my engine which is running very noticeably more smoothly with a rock-steady and consistent idle. The additional bonus is about 10% better fuel consumption (admittedly over a relatively short period, but I think it is a fair estimate). All gaskets from cylinder head to throttle body have been renewed. The heavy load pinking has gone, so there was probably an air leak somewhere.

I thoroughly recommend MrInjector (Steve Biggs, 07860350390, near Stevenage Hertfordshire). He gave me a guided tour of his workshop and showed me exactly what he does and all the equipment he uses to test, service and report the work. The process took a couple of days to turn the injectors around and they come back pristine and restored to good order.

As an indication, the spray patterns were restored from generally uneven and ill-defined to excellent, and the flow rate was improved by up to 8,5% on one of the six, with an average of over 5% overall.

Best wishes

RB

Thats really good feedback, ive just emailed them for a price...

Are the Golf 2.8 injectors the same as used in the corrados? I'm going to source some injectors off the bay unless anyone on here has any going cheap? :)

Yes they are the same.

I have the original ones from my Corrado, part nr. 021 906 031A, sitting on the bench, needing the treatment. Yours for £25 ono, plus postage; PM me if you are interested.

Best wishes

RB

Latest news on this. I did as suggested, bought a spare second-hand set on eBay and gave them to MrInjector (see reference earlier) who ultrasonically cleaned them, and replaced the filters and seals, for a grand total of £73. There is a £7 charge for return registered postage if you need it.

They are now in my engine which is running very noticeably more smoothly with a rock-steady and consistent idle. The additional bonus is about 10% better fuel consumption (admittedly over a relatively short period, but I think it is a fair estimate). All gaskets from cylinder head to throttle body have been renewed. The heavy load pinking has gone, so there was probably an air leak somewhere.

I thoroughly recommend MrInjector (Steve Biggs, 07860350390, near Stevenage Hertfordshire). He gave me a guided tour of his workshop and showed me exactly what he does and all the equipment he uses to test, service and report the work. The process took a couple of days to turn the injectors around and they come back pristine and restored to good order.

As an indication, the spray patterns were restored from generally uneven and ill-defined to excellent, and the flow rate was improved by up to 8,5% on one of the six, with an average of over 5% overall.

Best wishes

RB

Cheers for that information mate.

Good to have recommendations like that :)

VR6OC Club Members get a 10% discount from MrInjector UK.

I was impressed with his work.

Damn, just had mine done. Could have saved £8. :(

Cool! I've got a spare set of R32 ones (of unknown origin) which I might send off to him then :D

Will do dave..... they should have been in by now but I had a gran with a broken oven so was on call :(

Ill fit them tomorrow and let you know.

My VR was so smooth after I fitted my refurbished injectors.

I also had the body of mine painted black so they look like new too :)