Sign in to follow this  
Andi

The Admin: Passat W8 4motion (pg10)

yeah, i cant get used to drive by wire stuff at all, especially when i pull up to a junction and then go to pull away quickly and because i have just let off the brake it takes ages to pull away, which usually happens just as a lorry comes around the corner towards me. that is in a diesel though.

Maybe i'm just not that an 'advanced' driver or something but I can't say that Drive By Wire has ever caught me out or given me problems when driving! My MK4 doesn't feel any different from an operation point of view than my G60.. its just a heck of a lot slower! ;)

Spec they are 193bhp and 207lb/ft - will get it remapped and roaded at some point though. Good for 210bhp when remapped, apparently.

yeah, i cant get used to drive by wire stuff at all, especially when i pull up to a junction and then go to pull away quickly and because i have just let off the brake it takes ages to pull away, which usually happens just as a lorry comes around the corner towards me. that is in a diesel though.

Heh. It may be simply that my mate's one was a bit iffy. This was not the only thing he complained of with it. (He said it would pull inconsistently on part throttle and various other little weirdnesses that couldn't be explained.)

But audi had pored over the car at great length and had declared it 100% healthy, despite his concerns. So he wasn't happy...

so when u starting mini cabbing andi

You can laugh, but I have parked in a Taxi Rank already and a cabby stopped me and I just said I didn't have my plates on and need to pop in somewhere and he believed me :)

Can't do that in a Corrado ;)

Anyway, Skodas are for cabbies now! :)

Interesting.... I'd need to check they'd fit the Syncro though - it's a weird one ;)

Most things are normally listed as "excluding Syncro model"...

Due to the broken ankle, and not able to drive or really go anywhere, had to resort to the local (i.e. very local, about 2 mins walk) gararge for the looming MOT.

Having never used them before, I was a little ominous, but they were happy to come pick the car up, as I couldn't drive it myself for its MOT.

Just had the call - and all is fine!

Sailed through the MOT without a hiccup.

I will finally have properly aligned headlights too, as they were a little low since installing the AEs!

Happy days. 8)

And yes, 70mph is 3k revs. Nice for cruising!

Talking of which, cruise control will be added when my legs are working again.

It really is.

The engine, drive-train, etc, all make it up to be a lot better drive than I'd expected.

A friend of mine has driven his Dad's 1.8 20v Passat as well as mine, and remarked on how it's such a different car.

It may be a bit of a wallowing barge, but with it's immense grip and low-down torque it more than makes up for it.

My B5 Tdi is pretty good to drive. Although lacking immensely in power and being a bit wallowey it manages to corner okay. So yours must be mint with all that power and tauter handling.

Does look nice & tidy mate.

And yes, 70mph is 3k revs. Nice for cruising!

Talking of which, cruise control will be added when my legs are working again.

Isn't 70mph about 3k revs in a VR?! :)

I've got a B6 A4 quattro 2.5tdi...

Wasn't too sure about it to begin with as i'm used to cars no bigger than Golf mk4's!!!!

I do have to say it got loads of torqe and is rapid onece off the mark...

Awesome through the bends and powersliding ....;)

Some of you may have noticed my sig and avatar change recently.

Last Saturday I chopped in my V6 Syncro B5 Passat for a B5.5 4.0litre W8 :D

Nice uber-rare car (probably about 300 in the UK) and all the spec I wanted.

Some geeky W8 specs for those that don't know about the beast.

It's basically 2x VR4 engines side-by-side (forming a sort of W) sharing a crank.

Kicks out about 275bhp and similar torque lb/ft.

Only available in '4motion' - but 4motion on a Passat actually differs to a Golf's 4motion, on the Passat it is still a mechanic 'Quattro' system, unlike the Golf & TTs which are electrically controlled.

Unique to the W8 variant of Passat are:

-- 330mm front discs with twin-pot calipers, shared with the Audi A8

-- unique HID headlamps. A snip at only £750 a pair, if you can manage to find some.

-- differently designed dials, with a speedo which maxes out at 180mph. They are electronically limited to 155mph, but are known to hit 170mph once this is removed

-- BBS split-rims as standard

-- twin dual exit exhausts. System £1500 to replace...!

The extras I managed to find on this model are:

- electric fold-in mirrors

- electric heated memory seats (can be linked to keys to change seat position & mirrors depending on key used)

- Multi-Function steering wheel

The only option missing is the VW MFD Sat Nav (not that great anyway, and I have a TomTom) and the electric rear window blind (bothered!).

I actually haven't driven the car all week, due to waiting for the 1st to get my road tax (it's been an expensive month and didn't want to loose 3 weeks of tax also!) but tomorrow morning I'm off to the Post Office to get her on the road ;)

Pictures on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10959006@N ... 709011733/

(Can you tell I'm a litle bit happy with this purchase!!!)

Always fancied one of them Andi. Uber-smooth I should imagine. Are you gonna change it in anyway?

Not going to mod this one, no. (Famous last words..)

I'm going to do a little work on the 'soundz' - got an USB MP3 player fake-cd-changer coming which is compatible with the Gamma and daisy chains off the 6cd in-dash one, plus a Sony-Ericsson carkit, and some parking sensors.

Other than that, it shall remain how God intended :)

Wouldn't mind piping some more cold air into the airbox, since it does suffer a bit from heat soak on a hot day.

And perhaps get it mapped, which should push it to around 295bhp. We'll see. No rush.

There's not a lot you can actually get for the W8, so limits the mods somewhat :)

And yes, it is uber-smooth. Motorways just waft along in a calm near-silence.