Portent

Uprated headlight loom - Where do you place the relays?

I've fitted an uprated loom recently but I'm not yet happy with the placement of the relays. I've mounted them in a box but there seems no obvious place to locate the box. Where do you guys put yours?

It's a superb upgrade though. I wish I'd done it ages ago.

Most put it in front or on the side of the battery stuck with sticky pads or similar mate. Depends what motor you have with regards to space, but inner chassis leg is even an option. Just in front of the battery would be my reccommendation though, as you can route and hide cabling in existing runs if its all wrapped up nicely.

I have them ahead of the battery in a water tight sealed box to keep the dirt and rain out. I remember on my MkII Golf, there were actually a couple of captive bolts on the inside of the drivers wing where you could mount the relays.

by the battery in a watertight box. But Fishwick has run cables inside his car and kept the relays inside, which is perhaps the best option.

My instinct was to run the cables to relays mounted on the spare locations on top of the relay plate. But there is the counter-arguement to that which is to keep the cable runs as short as possible to minimise voltage drop. I have mine in the engine compartment as high as possible, in fact cable tied to an aircon hose, nice and cool.

Best wishes

RB

Fishwick has run cables inside his car and kept the relays inside, which is perhaps the best option.

Yep, fit and forget ;)

Thanks. I've currently mounted it in a box and mounted that on the battery but it's not as tidy as I'd like. I'm not too keen on just leaving it laying around in front of the battery as I think that might cause problems in the future. I'll have a look for those bolts on the inner wing. I'd far prefer it is securely fastened somewhere and not dangling where water can collect. I'd also like it visible so that anyone in the future can easily trace it back to the fuse and relays if they lose the lights.

I bought one recently from KUR2Y. I pmed him to say I was impressed with the build and improvement to the lights. However I too thought there was no suitable mounting location (2L 16V). I suggested that he canvass a few folks for a suitable location for the relays and then modify his looms to suit. He seemed happy to do this. So whats the solution?