guildmage

London Olympics 2012

Can anyone tell me why, as football is in the olympics, why arent countries just using their normal national team. I know its GBR no ENG but the likes of Lampard and Terry etc arent in the squad? Is there a reason for this?

under 23's mate. Your allowed only 3 over 23 in the team and terry can eat **** and die anyway the racist scum bag

Edited by corrado_sunderland

So it costs our money to set it up?

Small price to pay for the legacy of inspiration and motivation that will be left by people who get up, commit themselves entirely to a mission and act positively instead of bleating all the time and doing nothing of note.

It is called thinking in the long-term for the betterment of the UK.

Did enjoy the BBC's satirical comedy on the setting up of the games, though.

under 23's mate. Your allowed only 3 over 23 in the team and terry can eat **** and die anyway the racist scum bag

ah right, makes sense then. So only 3 players over 23... why bellamy then, he's good, but there's better? and Terry was a bad example haha Gerrard then.

ah right, makes sense then. So only 3 players over 23... why bellamy then, he's good, but there's better? and Terry was a bad example haha Gerrard then.

Because having done the Euros and starting with their clubs in a few weeks, it isn't seen as a high priority versus the risk of injury and fatigue. You will notice the countries with a break in their club fixtures at the moment have more internationals.

Plus alot of the top players apparently turned it down because there is no pay....a-holes :lol:,im glad rooney wasnt in,gerrard would have been good hes a grafter the rest id say get lost and let the youth get some experience as we bloody need it,we running on dregs and over inflated idiots.Plus bellamy is past it but he always suprises and delivers it seems

What's happened to John Inverdales neck ?

I said that to the wife earlier!

So proud of Ennis, amazing win. And what phelps has achieved, greatest Olympian we'll see in our lifetime.

Can you imagine how Ennis must have felt standing on the podium to the noise around her. At least she looked so happy to have done it.

Edited by Portent

I wasn't bothered about the games before they started. I'm gripped by it now! Absolutely incredible, the effort put in by the brits to win is inspiring to the country. Just think what could be achieved in the country if everyone lived and worked by those standards! Puts the benefit cheats all to shame!!!

Congratulations to all the Team GB athletes.

I wasn't bothered about the games before they started. I'm gripped by it now! Absolutely incredible, the effort put in by the brits to win is inspiring to the country. Just think what could be achieved in the country if everyone lived and worked by those standards! Puts the benefit cheats all to shame!!!

Congratulations to all the Team GB athletes.

Well put! Its been a fantastic games. All of life is mirrored in sport which is why it has the capacity to inspire and move us - the triumphs, the disappointments, the unexpected. So many great moments and not just team GB golds. Who can forget the excitement of South African swimmer Clad le Clos's Dad after watching his son win gold or Zac Purchase and Mark Hunters utter dejection at losing the double sculls. The crowds have been amazing too - can any Olympics ever have had such passionate support? The character of the nation has been shown off to all the world this week and it makes you feel very proud to be British.

I've not been actually watching any of the events but I've been really cheered by some of the scenes I've been seeing on the highlights.. people giving it 110%, crowds of people willing them on to win - and we've been getting some great medals. It's been fantastic to see how well the cyclists have been doing for example, not just taking gold medals but setting world records. I'm even starting to believe we could catch up with the USA or China now!!

Wonderful stuff. Gives you a bit of national pride at a time when I thought there was nothing much good left in this country :)

I too had not been watching it especially, maybe the odd half hour every other day, but its infectious; I think down to the presenters and the support of the crowds, let alone the effort of the participants. I watched some 3 hours yesterday evening, what a great day to have chosen in view of our winners yesterday. Fantastic achievement.

I too am hoping it puts some pride back into this nation.

I've not been too fussed about Olympic games in the past either. Tended to watch the mtbers, but the fact that there was no squash always irritated me so I tended not to to pay too much attention generally.

These games are different though; living in London it's obviously difficult to avoid it but I am getting sucked in. I feel myself welling up everytime a Brit wins something!

Took my daughter to the hockey yesterday. We were there for GB ladies who lost to China. They were devastated despite still being in with a chance of progressing and had tried so hard. Atmosphere was great. Would have been awesome to be in the athletics stadium last night for the three golds.

I'm even starting to believe we could catch up with the USA or China now!!

Would be nice, though rest assured that as far as medals per population goes we're top of the table. If China only had 60 million people to choose from instead of 1.3 billion, they'd be no where!

I'm even starting to believe we could catch up with the USA or China now!!

They should include a medal table that is based on population size.

I'm having a lazy Sunday but I'm not sure I'm at that level of boredom just yet!

---------- Post added at 2:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:55 PM ----------

Lol - we both had the same thought :)

They should include a medal table that is based on population size.

I'm having a lazy Sunday but I'm not sure I'm at that level of boredom just yet!

---------- Post added at 2:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:55 PM ----------

Lol - we both had the same thought :)

Haha, only I am at that level of boredom!! :)

It is being said already - per size of population we are miles ahead.

League table does exist, only on German Spiegel, shown everyday, Britain has climbed up to 3rd place, only behind the Chinese (as mentioned earlier: No wonder they are higher with that many people to choose from, and a not-exactly-free-political-system, they should actually be ahsamed of themselves! Look, for example where Russia has slipped now that they are no longer a totalitarian system), and the US:

http://www.spiegel.de/ Scroll down till on the right hand you see the word ¨Medaillenspiegel¨

Tempest

Edited by Jim

Would be nice, though rest assured that as far as medals per population goes we're top of the table. If China only had 60 million people to choose from instead of 1.3 billion, they'd be no where!

Wow even Murray won gold over Federer.

I live on the Olympic cycling route and there seems to be a real boost to the numbers of cyclists here recently. The route is also lined with people hanging flags out. It's so nice to see us have pride in our country for once.

I have been suprised how much i have enjoyed the games.. It is so refreshing to see people looking happy, proud and giving their all to be successful...Inspirational stuff...

From what ive heard if Yorkshire was entered as a country alone it would have more medals that australia - just a little fact for you there.

Anyone see the remote control minis on the discus field, what are they for - cameras?

Same here Goldie - crowd cheering everyone, good atmosphere in the stadium. I myself have enjoyed it, well the track and field, which is what ive only really been watching. I said i wouldnt prob watch any of it, but got into it :D

From what ive heard if Yorkshire was entered as a country alone it would have more medals that australia - just a little fact for you there.

Anyone see the remote control minis on the discus field, what are they for - cameras?

Same here Goldie - crowd cheering everyone, good atmosphere in the stadium. I myself have enjoyed it, well the track and field, which is what ive only really been watching. I said i wouldnt prob watch any of it, but got into it :D

I went on Sunday night for 100m final ..... we went early to soak up the atmosphere and it was truely epic. The games are been organised so well, we had an incredible day and its great to see so many happy faces considering all the doom and gloom for the last 3 years.

The remote control minis are for the returning of the discus' and hammer once thrown ...... very cool :thumbleft:

EDIT : also its brilliant seeing team GB getting medal after medal - woohooo !!!

I went on Sunday night for 100m final ..... we went early to soak up the atmosphere and it was truely epic. The games are been organised so well, we had an incredible day and its great to see so many happy faces considering all the doom and gloom for the last 3 years.

The remote control minis are for the returning of the discus' and hammer once thrown ...... very cool :thumbleft:

EDIT : also its brilliant seeing team GB getting medal after medal - woohooo !!!

I bet mate, i bet it was electric. Did you see any other events. watched the high jump, discus and also the 800m. :D Is there no pole vault this time, cant say ive seen any, or hammer for that matter only the shot put.

v cool with the minis though 8)

I think GB doing so well is a bonus for me, as the event seems to have been such a success. Well done to all!