24V Renshaw

Anyone have indepth knowledge of building regs?

I am sending out a plee for help, following a visit from the building inspector, who has looked at our foundations and proposed floor slab and is telling the builder all kinds of things are needed which the builder himself has never had to do and feels are completely innappropriate, but seems powerless to do anything.

Is there anything I can do without major hassle or upset to the building inspector/builder as this is going to add significant cost to the build.

I have a number of queries over the process and rationale, but don't have the knowledge to back them up.

Can anyone help??

Cheers

Jay

Jay prob beat to list what he is asking.

Problem is building inspectors are different from each area and sometimes unhelpful so list the concerns and sure someone could point u in right direction.

Generally the builder would have indepth knowledge of construction methods so would know what is reasonable and what is not.

Unfortunately u need their approval to proceed

Basically he is saying because there is a beech tree hedge 7m from the foundations and the ground is clay, we are being told we have to have a suspended concrete floor, meshed and supported on the walls.

What I dont understand is two houses adjacent have had the same extensions virtually and have the trees but didn't have to have the same. How?

Have you spoken to your neighbors to see if they had any issues with their extension, they maybe able to advise you on how they carried out their extensions.

Matt

It's very common to have to do this !

The architect we use has a book with all different tree types,soil types,and depths needed at distance from tree !

IIRC the Willow is the worst !

I know it's not what you want to hear,your neighbour most likely had a different inspector then you,one new to the job can be an absolute nightmare !

Jay,

I had a very similar problem when I was building my house. We have heavy clay soil like you and a neighbour had a Eucalyptus tree about 6 metres away. They take up massive amounts of water and cause the cause the clay soil to contract as it dries out. Obviously no good for the footings. We came to an arrangement with the neighbour who wasn't overly keen on the tree anyway. I cut it down for him and that solved the problem.

You don't say whether the hedge is yours or not. If it is, then get rid of it. If not, you might have to do some grovelling with a neighbour.

In my limited experience of one building Inspector, building one house, there wasn't much point arguing. I could negotiate a bit with the chap I had, but with something important like the foundations, you might find they wont change their mind.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Got the info at work for building near trees documents. But am off work this week.

Usually gives a depth for footings, but as far as the floor type, its sounds as if its to allow for ground heave.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Just reading again, are you having a block and beam floor, is that what the inspector wants.

How do you know what the other houses have and when were they built.

Building inspector should know best really, but you can sometimes prove other theories or settle it with a drawing/detail.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Have you got an architect or have you done the plans yourself? If you have I would put it to them, if not this may well be the reason the regs man is being overly cautious. Don't whatever you do **** him off is all I can say!

Come across this issue before on shrinkable clay but always for fast growing vines with fluctuating water demand within meters of a wall not hedges that are 7m away.

Its not my area of expertise but I have the regs at work and can ask a few guys, on the face of it seems unreasonable to me but inspectors need handled with kids gloves.

Why are you set on a concrete ground floor anyway, why not timber joist it?

You could seek the advice of a aboricultarist who deal with these issues all the time too, for a few hundred quid they could do a survey with recommendations.

All I can say is to keep the BI with the keen eye on side. Neighbours may have had different inspectors (their attitude to actually building, not just best practise can differ wildly).

Personally, I'd chop the bush out, get him round again and put the kettle on.

At the end of the day, if that's what the BI wants, then that's what he's getting. Cost doesn't even come in to it.

Hope you work something out either way.

Cheers guys. I find it hard to swallow that what one person says is gospel and you have to lump it, even when I know the other houses didn't have to do the suspended floor as the same builder did those.

I am clearly going to have to lump it, even removing the hedge would make no difference apparently!

It's a fraction of the overall build but it's still a couple of grand out of pocket being literally poured into the ground!

At least I have a nice moat now!

[ATTACH]68702[/ATTACH]

We're always having to put block and beam floors in, building inspectors are easier to get on with when you jump through their hoops, try to cheat them and they'll turn your build into a nightmare!

Have you looked into a 2.5/2.8 dig with clay boards? We've been able to get away with that a few times but it all depends on the inspector.

If hes problem is the proximity of the trees and you have highly shrinkable clay then removing the hedge wont make a difference, no

The problem being that the hedge will be taking water out of the ground and removal will stop this, you could then find the additional water within the clay will result it in swelling and heave, so you basically have the same 'shrinkable clay' problem but in reverse

Who is acting as building control ? you local authority ? Ive seen people nominate other local authorities to act as their building control because there more reasonable!

but others have said its just down to negotiation, you could employ a structural engineer to put you argument forward, building 7m away seems a fairly safe distance to me (but im civils not structural) and if your neighbors have had theres standing without problems you might be able to come up with a good case, doing that will delay the build and come with its own costs tho...

Cheers guys. I find it hard to swallow that what one person says is gospel and you have to lump it, even when I know the other houses didn't have to do the suspended floor as the same builder did those.

At the end of the day, it's your house. The neighbours are irrelevant. Are you willing to take a chance?

I wish the current regs were applied to my garage when it was built because the back half of it has subsided because of a big tree in close proximity and clay soil. 18" footings don't help either. It's why building regs are constantly being updated because of lessons learned from inadequate previous regulations.

i was talking with a friend about a similar issue with a building inspector last week. He's having a single story kitchen extension, but because in theory someone could build a second story on top in the future he has to have foundations to allow for this. The neighbours who did the house opposite last summer didnt need this, but recent regs meant he has to spend thousands more!

Unfortunately, what everyone has said and the route you're going along is correct. Persuading a building inspector to deviate from the norm is almost always impossible as at the end of the day its his neck on the line should you have problems in the future. Unfortunately trees, clay soils and foundations aren't a good combination and on many occasion I have had to specify piled foundations for the smallest of structures, regardless of the fact that the neighbouring properties are still standing after 50 years of being located 3m away from trees twice their height....

Unfortunately, a competent building should know this, as should an architect. Possibly scope to negotiate the additional costs with these two maybe....?

Always happy to help...

Your local resident Structural Engineer.

Waz