Sign in to follow this  
ZIG HIEL!!!!!

INDUCTION

Is there a place on planet earth where I could pick up an induction kit for my 2 litre 16v so I can get a real manly GRRRR instead of a girlie PURRRR I thank you !. :twisted:

*mod edit - please don't SHOUT posts - de-cap'd for you - Henny*

How about drilling the airbox (assuming it's the same set up as a 1.8 16v), cheap option too, and sounds good! Scottish Corrado webiste has a section on doing it (can't remember the address, but Google will)

Won't damage the car at all, all you are doing is putting a few holes in a plastic moulding the air filter sits in (follow the instructions as per the 'supercharged junkie' post). Not only is it cost effective and easy, but it sounds bloody good too. All I would say is don't welly in there and make the airbox a swiss cheese. I drilled a few holes , took her for a run, decided it was too quiet, put a few more holes in, etc, etc, until it sounded just to my liking. Have heard of one instance where too many holes were drilled by a guy and it was too loud for his taste. Guarantee youl'l like it, if induction roar is what your after! :D

I did this to my airbox tonight and drilled approx eight 10mm holes. I had done this to my Golf 8v and it sounded quite nice but it doesnt really sound that good with the Raddo. Its not to loud either.

Should I drill more holes or just remove the snorkel alltogether?

Supercharged Junkie, GOD BLESS YOU MY CHILD MY YOUR HARVEST BE PLENTIFULL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and may God also TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

(welcome to the forum by the way! ;) :lol: )

I did this to my airbox tonight and drilled approx eight 10mm holes. I had done this to my Golf 8v and it sounded quite nice but it doesnt really sound that good with the Raddo. Its not to loud either.

Should I drill more holes or just remove the snorkel alltogether?

I reckon you need to put some more holes in, think I ended up with about 16 in total, at a guess.

It is possible to get an induction kit, i had one on mine last yr, the worse money i ever spent and it damaged my car.

Go with K+N and drilled bx

Sounds awesome

Yep I did mine too and it does sound so much deeper and with a bit of grunt!! I drilled my airbox with a 11mm drill bit, don't go overboard juist drill to how you like the sound. Fit a K & N filter too and it will improve the airflow a lot. I did'nt bother with removing the snorkel.

Sanj.

Definately remove the snorkel! This is a specialy designed noise baffle which VW kindly installed for Joe Public so he/she didn't think that the car was to loud. It is designed to tone down any induction roar. I lost the snorkel and drilled holes in the airbox on my old 16v and it sounded great. Just make sure you only drill the front and wing sides of the box. If you drill the engine side of the box you wil just suck in hot air from around the engine which will not help performance.

If you look at where the snorkel is on the inlet tract, it's for torque aswell as cancelling induction pulses. It is a tuned system.

I really cannot understand this airbox drilling fascination. It does Feck all other than make the engine noisy, and it's not even a nice noise, especially where the 4 cylinder engines are concerned.

I beg to differ on the noise front. All my normally aspirated VWs have sounded rather bland with the std airbox set up and removing the trumpet and drilling the airbox has always given the car a great induction roar :D . The other advantage is that the noise comes from the business end of the car (i.e. the engine) rather than from the back of the car (as with a performance exhaust).

I do however appreciate that induction roar is probably a matter of personal taste and my enthusiasm for it is helped by the fact that I do not use the car daily. If I used the car daily the induction roar that I get from my current G60 running a 68mm pulley and Jabba induction kit might prove a bit tiring. For occasional use though it's great ! ! ! ! :D

If you look at where the snorkel is on the inlet tract, it's for torque aswell as cancelling induction pulses. It is a tuned system.

I removed my snorkel recently and it seems to me that the snorkel provides a place for the warm air flap to shut off the cold air. That's it!

*Definitely* a personal taste thing!

I don't know about the G60/16V but if you take the snorkel off the VR box, the induction pulses shake the dashboard and vibrate the entire engine bay. I don't see how anyone can like that :roll:

Only a certain few engines can get away with induction roar, imo only American muscle V8s and some V and straight 6s, but 4 cylinder? Why bother unless you've got muscle to back it up? I keep hearing all these jap cars and Golf 16Vs with drilled boxes and they make a horrendous racket off the lights but just crawl up the road. All noise and no go....

No i totally disagree-removing my snokle and drilling the airbox is well worth it.suppose it depends how many holes etc-but i was well chuffed once i drilled mine.

Cheers Fraser

ive just taken my induction filter off my vr6 and to be honest it goes better now on the standard box,and it still sounds nice :)

It does Feck all other than make the engine noisy, and it's not even a nice noise, especially where the 4 cylinder engines are concerned.

TOTALLY AGREE - following a busted fuel cut off valve on the metering head, my local garage kindly blocked my 'performance enhancing/ noise creating holes' up without telling me :?

The result when I pulled away from the garage had me well confused, the car was pulling much better than it was before; and as they hadn't put it on the service sheet it was only after inspection I noticed they'd done it :D

Needless to say the cardboards still there, and I'm enjoying the 16v engine noise and K&N filter as it should be - revvy and with a whistle :wink:

:twisted: I took the plunge girls and boys and drillled the airbox following that guide supercharged junkie sent and i will tell you what going through tunnels in leeds has never been so exciting i almost wet my pants when i heard the noise nothing not a dikiebird up to 3 thousand then a monster is unleashed, feels a bit more responsive as well. All in all the dogs danglies

cheers for the help :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

going through tunnels in leeds has never been so exciting i almost wet my pants when i heard the noise nothing not a dikiebird up to 3 thousand then a monster is unleashed,

:? :roll: :wink:

Induction roar on the 16 valve is amazing, plus the ace thing is it makes no noise change at all untill you floor it and it goes on WOT so it doesnt do your head in on long journeys. Drill large my brother!!!

*Definitely* a personal taste thing!

I don't know about the G60/16V but if you take the snorkel off the VR box, the induction pulses shake the dashboard and vibrate the entire engine bay. I don't see how anyone can like that :roll:

Only a certain few engines can get away with induction roar, imo only American muscle V8s and some V and straight 6s, but 4 cylinder? Why bother unless you've got muscle to back it up? I keep hearing all these jap cars and Golf 16Vs with drilled boxes and they make a horrendous racket off the lights but just crawl up the road. All noise and no go....

One of the reasons am thinking of dumping my induction kit on the VR6 is due to the horrible resonation I get around 4200 - 4500rpm and rattles the dashboard.... not all the time but mainly when gunning it in third gear up a bypass and waiting for revs to come up.... does my head in! :mad: