Hofmiester

Ron's Blackberry VR6 - A11 VRX - Getting her back on the road

There didn't look to be any rust at first, only with a pit of close inspection could I see the surface was deformed and so had a poke around ;)

Well.....I haven't gotten to fitting the Toledo sunroof yet, having done the dash out last year......I really hope this goes a bit smoother!

Ah nuts, fuel filler looks ok from the outside.....

7739c6925fb320952b6cdb464ba21fe1.jpg

But once I'd removed the fuel cap lock mech, I found that things were a bit rotten :(

52e38699553fbbcb19166d5e8dcdf376.jpg

Hole got a little bigger once i cut all the rust out, luckily doesn't have any rust on the inside of the outer skin.

494892d6db6639fac51bb3757260e6cb.jpg

aff7c1616c39a5ef9030a2705edeca5b.jpg

Treated all the metal to this POR prep and ready stuff. Which is Zinc Phosphate

ad757c245a5c364b7de512a7598499ee.jpg

20c135262eb963c37aee38b486433856.jpg

Converts rust to a black inert substance. Will coat with POR15 when dry.

I think Corrado's hide their rust well. There will always be something lurking away on cars this old but you really have to find it on ours. The fuel filler thing is a good reminder to people to clean out in there.

How you getting on with the S4? Got myself one of them at the start of Nov and love it but you can see the benefit from a map. It feels slightly strangled up top and apparently they bleed boost at higher rpms to limit power from factory. Obviously not wanting to upset those that have splashed out on a RS4 B8.

Yeah, I'm actually fairly pleased that it isn't worse. Car is 21 yrs old now so it is to be expected. What I like about the Corrado is that the quality of the metal is very good, so when you do get rot, you don't have to cut much to get back to solid ground. I'll be dammed if I can get a mig in there and changing the whole panel for a 4cm x 7cm hole is over kill. I'm just going to patch it http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/por-15-mat-rust-hole-repair-157273.html#/forumsite/20624/topics/157273

S4 is a serial killer dressed as a businessman, basically I haven't been outgunned by anything yet...kinda makes it too easy :) love the way it is no fuss, can poorly to shops but also destroy a 911 or two when I fancy!

Get it mapped! Stage 2 from MRC is £1400 for a mere 150bhp extra :)

Already have a circa 480bhp in the RS so might just go for stage 1 map TBH. Its a daily car so doesn't need silly power although mine is manual and has 2ndary cooler so should produce good power.

I had some surface rust but as you say when sanded back it was okay, treat and paint and no issues.

The thing is, I did a lot of research and just going for stage 1 won't feel that much quicker, it won't boost any more....just makes it hold boost for longer. The stage 2 is indistinguishable from standard in normal driving, savage when giving it the beans but still very smooth.

Yeah, that's the tricky thing. As it is a belt driven charger, the only way to get more boost is to start changing hardware. The stage 1 map just advances the timing a bit due to 98 Ron fuel in the UK and stops the venting of boost at high RPM.....but the lower end of the rev range (the bit you use daily) is no different. Stage 2 MRC involves a bigger drive pulley/new belt, stage 2 Revo is just a smaller SC pulley. Effect is the same (more boost) but MRC method gives better belt traction, although they have to take the front of the car off to get to the drive pulley behind the radiator. They also change the intake pipe work and mod the airbox, fit a bigger K&N filter I there.

Got my OEM rear axle bushes on recommendation from the chaps on here.....gotta say, they'd better be bloody magical for what they cost, £93 from Tps!

72f6b2e4de319dfb7b24842942c5eac3.jpg

At least you know the ones you've fitted are the best available and should last you a long time

I don't know if it compares but I had febi engine mounts fitted two years and 14,000 miles ago and they're already starting to feel looser

14000 for me in my Corrado is about 6 years worth of mileage! Plus when you look at them, they are literally rubber moulded into a metal case. Unlike engine mounts which are a little more complex.

I think it depends how you use the car if it's very limited mileage like Ron does is it really worth it. Though I can appreciate what you are saying Stuart

I always try to use lemforder parts mate there very good quality and i believe sometimes supplied by dealers if they cant get an origional part , its what im using for the full underside of mine