Jon94VR

Coolant choices for VR6

Noticed the coolant level is a bit low so obvs going to top up, as I work for a major motor factors, was just going to buy a small 1 litre bottle of ready mixed to top up, question is, can you use G13 coolant? I know you need G12++ but the antifreeze at work is only G12 for the red so would rather be over than underprotected...

Am sure its ok myself but just wanted a 2nd opinion

Not sure on G13.. Not seen that myself yet but can't go wrong with G12++ :)

Vag have replaced g12 with g13 as far as I know

G13 is the new synthetic purple coloured one and should not be mixed as far as I'm aware.

I picked up a couple of bottles of G13 at the weekend from TPS and asked if I could mix with the older stuff and was told yes.

Dave, does it say on the bottle it can be mixed though? Not sure I'd go off the word of a sales assistant at TPS is all.

Given the relatively little effort involved in draining and refilling not sure I'd bother mixing the coolant anyway and just replace the lot.

Usually when one VW antifreeze is superseded by a later one you can mix them. That was the case with G12, G12+ and finally G12++. The newer antifreezes just have more protection additives and "green additives" so aren't going to do any harm. If in doubt about compatibility I would just ask the VW dealer parts person as they are usually pretty good with info like this as they will be asked all the time.

Personally, I renew my coolant on my VR6 every two years, so it's never been an issue for me as I've always used the latest compatible antifreeze.

I just filled up with G13 as I went to Seat to ask for some G12++ and they didn't have any. I think GSF still supply G12++ if you ask around...but for the sake of effort I'd do the whole lot as above.

I believe all new and most recent vehicles use antifreeze which is red, yellow or purple in colour,

which lasts for around 10 years after which it is changed.

In much older vehicles including the Corrado the antifreeze is blue in colour,

and is normally changed every 2 to 3 years as the blue antifreeze has a shorter life span,

this blue antifreeze you can purchase from Halfords.

You can't or shouldn't really mix the different types of antifreeze as they have different additive levels,

you can put the newer type antifreeze i.e the long life type in to the older vehicles but you'll have to drain out the whole,

coolant system as you can't really mix the different types of antifreeze.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

Si

can anyone advice on the quantity required for a VR engine...... Hope I have not missed it in the thread...... If I'm reading it right you guys are using the longlife stuff now G13

Hello there,

I believe the G60, 16 valvers and 8 valver Corrado's hold 6.5 liters of coolant.

The VR6 holds 6.5 to 6.7 liters of coolant.

You should really have between 2-1/2 to 3 liters of antifreeze and then the rest to be plain water, to make up the full 6.5 ish liters,

if you have a too high mix content of antifreeze i.e if it's too rich then the car could over heat plus may not protect against freezing weather.

You should always dilute the antifreeze so it works correctly with in the cooling system.

The average mix of antifreeze in summer or winter is around 2.7 liters to 3 liters of antifreeze by 3.3 to 3 liters of water in a VR6 Corrado,

anymore then that, like I say it would be too high and wouldn't be safe :nono:

Remember that antifreeze also protects against corrosion and so will make your core plugs and engine last longer,

might even be a good idea to replace your thermostat at the same time, and check the water pump for leaks,

as again these could be replaced if your changing the coolant anyway :D

Also I believe there are two water pumps on the VR6 the belt driven one plus the electric auxiliary one as well.

On the earlier Corrado's the heater matrix is prone to leaking.

Remember to check that your radiator cooling fan cuts in at the right temp,

when you are bleeding the cooling system and running the car up to temp.

Hope this helps

Si :thumbleft:

Sorry thread resurrection - okay to mix the coolant with plain water from the tap or buy distilled water?

Also what's the best best method to get air out of the system on a VR6? Noticed mine was full of air following a change of the header tank by my mechanic. Could hear it gurgling whilst in traffic and my coolant temps wouldn't go over 70 degrees. I removed the expansion cap whilst cold and let it run for a bit and now my temp gauge reads around 85 degrees but pretty sure there's still some air in the system. I didn't want to leave the cap off for long incase it all bubbled over.

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by pfnsht

You can buy G13 premixed, so no need to add any water.

You'll need about 6.5 litres if you're flushing the whole system.

Alternatively, you could buy the concentrated coolant and mix it with distilled water.

I bought 10 litres off Amazon recently, when I changed my coolant.

Make sure it's distilled, and not just 'de-ionized' or whatever crap they sell at the supermarket :)

To get rid of air in the system, I do this:

- Make sure car is cold and take off expansion cap

- Set the heaters dial to max, to make sure it flows fully around the system

- Run car so that it gets up to temperature (probably 15-20 mins)

(It can help to squeeze the hoses a bit to force out the air, but it would probably find it's way out once the car is up to temp.)

- Let the car cool down, then top up the coolant so that it's at the max level, and then put the expansion cap back on

Take it for a drive, and keep an eye on the level, incase it needs topping up again.

Run it up to temperature with the cap off the header tank, ensure thermostat opens by checking hoses get hot. Squeeze your hoses a bit, top up as necessary as you go along and switch it off when it starts to bubble out the tank.

As above - then top up as needed to bring it to the correct level. Turning the heater dial to max won't make any difference at all as there is no actual flow valve to the matrix in there (older cars used to have a cable operated valve) - all it does is move a plastic diverter flap in the air distribution box to direct air flow either through or around the heater matrix depending on the temperature setting - so it won't make any difference in getting air locks out of the system.