seanl82

Seanl82's ringer Storm

Thanks again chaps, it's not gonna be a show winner but should be very respectable come the end.

Chris, not a patch on yours mate, really looking forward to seeing yours Next month.

Martin, it's hycote aluminium mate. It's the recommended one by most on here and I have to agree. I had a couple of tins of Simoniz aluminium left over from the last time, and it's a bit too light compared to the hycote so looks a little false if you know what I mean.

Bit more done yesterday. Picked up powdercoated bits then set about getting everything back together ready to go in. Almost there now, just need to check a few photos which were on my old phone and didn't have it with me. Also started on the interior. Stripped and prepped most of it ready for recolour, and coloured the acoustic carpet that will make up the new parcel shelf. A few pics.

DSC_0065_zpstmpal3qu.jpg

DSC_0066_zpsvrkvkhw6.jpg

DSC_0073_zpsrkzlxieg.jpg

DSC_0068_zpsopcvyuge.jpg

DSC_0069_zpsdhlgqz5y.jpg

DSC_0071_zpsdzu2xd1l.jpg

DSC_0070_zps7ksj8d7c.jpg

DSC_0072_zps1r5xkqif.jpg

Should get a bit more done Friday and maybe monday. Fingers crossed all goes to plan!

When we eventually meet up Sean , weather it's at Rog's or a show I will remember to park several cars down , so mine won't look so bad lol .

I remember reading your post when you bought it, thinking to myself that I would definitely have walked away from that car! You have turned it around and it will be one of the best out there by the time you've finished. Very impressive. If the Club gave out awards for saving doomed cars, you Sir would be definitely getting one. I look forward to seeing it at a show sometime

Gents, very kind words thank you. It's certainly never going to be concourse, or even a show winner, I do however see a light at the end of the tunnel albeit very dim still.

Rob, you have nothing to worry about mate, all that's done so far will be interior and out of sight under the bonnet. It's still a bit tatty on the exterior, which is where you'll show mine what it's all about! I'll be booking the full body respray in the next two months though hopefully, so maybe by the end of the year I'll have a good un' on the outside too! Over next winter will be head rebuild/replacement, and front and rear axle and underside refirb, and then it's replacing the chopped up wiring looms for uncut ones hopefully. All good plans get scuppered but something unaccounted for though as we know, so I'm not sticking to that plan fastideously. That seems like a massive and expensive list, but most of that is already budgeted for which helps. It's kind of strange that I'll then be in a position (provided I don't have any major snags) where things really don't need doing, and it be just finicky little jobs that are mostly personal preference................

Maybe it'll be time to sell up and start again with a new one but go forced induction then! :nuts::norty::cuckoo:

Snatched another hour at lunch today. front end all off now and I've started labelling wiring.

Its not a great deal, but sticking it here is ideal to document whats going on and a little reference.

20140212_130706_zpsroihkmz7.jpg

Happy to say every nut and bolt has come out without any trouble at all, although there are one or two missing screw around the fan shround and plastic supports at the front which I'll replace. Its all very solid so far, though there are a few small rust scabs on the cross member but nothing at all to worry about. Anyone know how much powdercoating costs roughly for each of the valance, cross member, fan shroud, Front mount bracket etc? Never had anything done so just curious if its worth doing if its not too expensive!

Going to look an awful lot different to this picture!

I remember reading your post when you bought it, thinking to myself that I would definitely have walked away from that car! You have turned it around and it will be one of the best out there by the time you've finished. Very impressive. If the Club gave out awards for saving doomed cars, you Sir would be definitely getting one. I look forward to seeing it at a show sometime

This sums it up perfectly for me, I've just looked back at your first few posts and never thought it would end up like this. I was lucky that I started with a great base car that wasnt that bad. So if you look at the before and after pictures you have achieved far more then me. Very well done, the engine and gearbox is great.

Having seen your car in the flesh today, I can only say that the amount of time and effort which you have invested so far to date is paying dividends. Many would have given up a long time ago. I am really looking forward to seeing the final product.

A really big thanks for sorting my Corrado out today. It's now running as VW intended, well almost apart from the PAS leak. I owe you a drink or two :)

Having seen your car in the flesh today, I can only say that the amount of time and effort which you have invested so far to date is paying dividends. Many would have given up a long time ago. I am really looking forward to seeing the final product.

A really big thanks for sorting my Corrado out today. It's now running as VW intended, well almost apart from the PAS leak. I owe you a drink or two :)

Is that you fixing other people's car's now too Sean?? You are a good un and a credit to the Forum :salute:

Don't mention it Martin, glad I could help and it was good to see your very nice one too! :thumbleft:

Finished the prep work in the bay now. Had to wrap a couple of small parts where there had been some chafing, but luckily none had gone through any of the wiring insulation. All existing looms and plugs have had a good clean, and cross member is in with all mounts in place ready to accept the engine. Replaced the washer pipes as they were very discoloured and brittle, just need some in the correct size for charcoal canister now.

Interior has now been fully prepped ready for paint from the furniture clinic kit. Don't have any photos though sorry. Forgot in my "high" state from breathing in the fumes from the prep solution! :scatter:

Where do people get their spark plugs from? I'm loath to pay for 8 from Halfords, even with trade discount!

Couple of pics but not much.

DSC_0075_zps0eiabdsb.jpg

Old vs new

DSC_0074_zpsrjysmmyr.jpg

Lump in on Monday if I'm allowed out to play!

looking good sean...

plugs.... I bought from ebay.. you can buy them individually NGK BKR 5EKU but do check... less than £20 delivered a few months ago.

Edited by delfinis38

Sean, in all my excitement yesterday I should have checked where the PAS pipe were routed on yours without the engine in. Any chance of a couple of pics to assist me in the search for my leak?

Cheers.

Sean, in all my excitement yesterday I should have checked where the PAS pipe were routed on yours without the engine in. Any chance of a couple of pics to assist me in the search for my leak?

Cheers.

Martin, just had a look through my photos but don't have any clearer than already in this thread. The pipework comes from the reservoir and bends 90° down to a T piece, then runs forward and aft down the chassis leg. Aft to the rack, and forward to the hard pipe across the crossmember that you saw yesterday. Nothing more to it than that mate, just a case of chasing it back, and seeing if the sleeve will shift up to expose the splice between rubber and metal pipe where is obviously a typical weak point.

Martin, just had a look through my photos but don't have any clearer than already in this thread. The pipework comes from the reservoir and bends 90° down to a T piece, then runs forward and aft down the chassis leg. Aft to the rack, and forward to the hard pipe across the crossmember that you saw yesterday. Nothing more to it than that mate, just a case of chasing it back, and seeing if the sleeve will shift up to expose the splice between rubber and metal pipe where is obviously a typical weak point.

Cheers Sean. I think that the leak is from the higher part of the system. I'll take a better look when I get five minutes to spare. After a good clean my ISV is now working perfectly. I'll return yours next week.

Looking good Sean, what diameter and where did you get the washer pipe from please? was something I was meant to do along with the canister tubing.

Halfords Chris, £1.99 or £1.49 with trade card. I can't remember the diameter sorry. There were two in stock, and it was the smaller of them. It should be obvious when you see it though, the other is much too large. One pack is plenty enough as well mate.

Looking great Sean, this brings back memories of last winter for me! It's gonna be great when it's done.

Did you do anything with that engine? I hope it was ok for you.

Looking great Sean, this brings back memories of last winter for me! It's gonna be great when it's done.

Did you do anything with that engine? I hope it was ok for you.

Thanks Theo!

Not done anything with it yet, I'm gonna strip it down in a couple of months and get the head refurbed, then swap it with my current one. I've pinched a few bits and Bob's of it too.

It's a little thing and cheap as chips, but it's very noticeable when in. Speaking of in.........

DSC_0085_zpskiwxjrzv.jpg

Ah mate how much better does that look !! you must be very happy with that .Super clean , it looks great .

just had a good read through this and there is some amazing work gone in here, wish i could have as much patients to do it as well.