seanl82

Seanl82's ringer Storm

As said above and before, your car is very lucky to have found you!

CHRISTINE ??????????

Looking forward to seeing the updates Sean .

Cheers all, I'm off on my hols on the 3rd so that'll take some of the wait off. He said it'll take 2-4 weeks. James, staying the original colour cos its a uuuummmmmm Storm..................... :rolleyes:

Get some fine glitter in it I don't mean chavvy glitter just a small amount :thumbleft:

I know what you mean James. I know some people hate green cars, but I love this colour so I don't wanna mess with it tbh. I know it's probably not gonna be exact, but it should be close enough.

When is your being painted Matt? You've got the jump on me with stripping it all down, but I think your sanding as well aren't you?

Yea im doing most of the prep mate will be starting it this weekend , still been cleaning all the chassis legs and need to clean all the Arches , once most of it has been done and iv got the car fully prepped its going to paint shop for primer and then im gonna leave it with them so they can roll the arches and skim them all , then paint and back to my garage to re assemble , im probably gonna leave it two or three weeks before i re assemble to let the paint fully harden off and make sure theres no reactions with the paint

I went with ERB who you recommended actually Martin. The other place was Airport bodyshop in Fareham. Not much in it, but instinct told me to go with ERB.

Mines coming off the road this weekend Matt. MOT is due Monday but I want to put my 288mm brakes on first and then begin prep in plenty of time so I know what other things I need to order. I'll get the Mot done on completion. I've already got a list for close to £500 between Heritage and ARZ tuning though! :eek:

The expansion tank problem you have is a faulty sensor mine kept coming on first thing in the morning mine was brand new too. Got another brand new one and has been fine since

The expansion tank problem you have is a faulty sensor mine kept coming on first thing in the morning mine was brand new too. Got another brand new one and has been fine since

Faulty sansor, is that within the expansion tank?

The expansion tank is just two prongs. The water obviously completes the circuit. When the water drops below the level of the prongs, it becomes open circuit and triggers the dash illumination. I think there must just be a batch of poorly made tanks by the sound of it. Mine didn't do it straight away, it only started happening last weekend. I looked at the connector you suggested today Chris, but my pins are both the same length. I think it must be the connection between the pins and prongs that are at fault. Mine is also intermittent. It seems to either come straight on at switch on, or not at all. I'll take it out next weekend when it comes off the road, and get tps to replace it.

What you got on your list to get it to 500 quid mate

How far are you going with it ? Seeing as though where both just about doing the same thing with thee respray I though I might aswell ask , I've got mine up to 193 euros but the main part of that is the scraper seals , and the screen seals I'll buy later on of my screen guy when he puts all the glass back in , did you find any rear glass window seals on arz aswell I know there a sealed unit but didn't know if you could some how change it over , mine are pretty **** and I'm not paying 500 baz for two bits of small glass lol

I think those are second hand glass with seals they're selling for that price Matt. Mine are in decent shape so hoping that doesn't need doing. My list from heritage includes scrapers, door aperture seals for both sides, and tailgate seal. ARZ I've got Mirror base seals, sunroof seal, emblem grommets, and a few other bits and bobs for the interior like fuse cover clips and little bits like that. Heritage comes in at £360, and ARZ is 140 euros plus shipping which is 30 euros. Think I may leave the tailgate trim though at £105, as its not really essential. I do need a drivers outer door seal though but may have to get a used one as I can't find any new. Mine is split a little on the verticle part. Anything you think I may have missed or that you have? I've already got replacement Corrado and VR6 badges to go on the back in good condition, and the roof aerial seal was replaced not long ago so that should be fine. Only thing I'm worried about is the rear number plate tub. Mines been painted in the past so its obviously already been off the car, and I don't know what state it'll be in when I take it off this time. Think I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.........

Car now off the road and strip down has begun. Back on the Solitudes ready for the RXs to go off for powdercoating next week.

DSC_0294_zpsbgmr6qsr.jpg

Need some fishing line to get the rear Vr6 and Storm badge off, and I'm having an utter mare with the boot hinge trims, and rear number plate tub. The tub has obviously been off in the past as its been painted body colour, and I think it's been bonded back on with God knows what.

Got a few bits to go off for powdercoating too. The rear bumper iron is in a pretty sorry state tbh, and one of the support bracket bolts sheared. Hopefully it's salvageable though.

DSC_0296_zps5qtjxuza.jpg

Ordered a few bits from Heritage last week. Got both scrapers and both door aperture seals along with a few other little bits. I'll put my ARZ order in next week.

The couple of reasons for taking it off the road a little early were to preempt any problems I may find during stripping it down, and also the MOT was about to expire. A couple of little bits that need doing were an outer cv boot, and finally trying to get to the bottom of my ABS problem. I couldn't be bothered to just change the boot knowing the front subframe will be dropped probably over winter, so I just bought a whole aftermarket drive shaft with CVs already on as it was only £31 to my door. I'll refurb the originals when I do the rest and put it all back together then.

DSC_0288_zpsv1c56vsz.jpg

More updates soon. :o

Yeah sorry thanks Matt. I've had to inner boot trim off, bit all thats coming through those holes are oozes of what looks like mastic! Think I'll just have to bite the bullet and rip it off, then get a wanted ad up for a replacement. Door seals aren't cheap at £77.30 each but I do need them as mine have both split along the bottom. There are alternatives if you do a search that are much cheaper, but they aren't exactly the same, and don't overlap the rear door card which I think would really bug me.

Ooooh shiney driveshafts!

Where was that from?

I'm just about to strip down the front end and replace all the track rod ends etc, May swell do the driveshafts too at that price!

It was an eBay seller called vwolbay. Think he has a couple of cv joints still for sale at the moment. I'm not sure of the quality tbh, which is why I'll put the originals back on once refurbished. I'll get the shafts powdercoated and all new inner and outer joints and boots. These will do for now though.

Received my order from ARZ tuning today. Only ordered it Sunday night so very impressed with the service!. Did cost a fair old whack postage though, and I know what I ordered, I just suppose you expect a bit more when it cost so much! :(

DSC_0418_zpsh25tybs8.jpg

In other news, wheels are now in with the refurbishers. Another shock at how much it cost me! :crazyeyes: Its the only place I could find in the county with a good reputation though, even if it is a major franchise. :rolleyes:

It does indeed Rob. Still waiting on my fairly big order from Heritage too. :rolleyes:

Just a few bits to go off for powdercoating then should be pretty much done.......apart from the brake upgrade I want to do. I was gonna buy a mk3 Golf breaker for the Teves20 ABS system as well, but I'm having second thoughts now, so may just try to source a few parts and try to get mine working properly.