Sean_Jaymo

Corrado Part Duex - 24V Aqua Blue - She's gone.

It's the gear that's the obstacle mate in my work a mig plant to buy £5k a Tig plant £7.5k. I weld tank's with "Tip Tig" which is a wire fed Tig plant so £7.5k for the Tig plant and another £7.5k for the "Hotwire" feed. That is nothing though in comparison to the Laser's the £1,000,000 has been mentioned and we have a few....

I hope so mate! There are a few names from on here that I would like to put faces to....

You might regret that, some of us are a right ropey bunch! ;)

Just read your thread and if I could get my manifold off for you to use as a guide I would. Top work so far.

I'm not too worried about that Mic, you should see the people I work with!

I've tried to persuade Pete at dubpower in the past to do a simple downpipe for the 24v conversion that bolts up to the manifolds and the stock/twin cat back system but he was having none of it.

Bit strange really as he does replacement down pipes for normal 4motions and r32's. He must be able to make up a jig based on all of the exhausts he has to make a version for those who don't wish to fit a 6 branch for whatever reason. For me, I'm trying to make mine into a European GT tourer that drives well, looks a bit classy but remains quiet and handle long distance motoring. Last thing I want is a loud 6 branch that becomes a huge heat source in the back of the engine bay.

Don't get me wrong, 6 branches have their uses, but for me, on this project, I'm not sold on the idea :-)

So an exhaust for a homebrew Corrado 24v is simple stuff then!

judging by what you have already done then you can do it, and I highly recommend you try you only need a cheap mig, have a look in my thread I use the bottom half of the 12v and the top flanges and flexys of the 24v and merge them together and im no pro, probably had 5-8 hours of weld time prior to that, welding is like hand writing but obviously theres a bit more to it but give a couple of hours on scrap metal and your easily be able to tac stuff together and get things lined up, from there you could hand it over to a welder or keep practising until your comfortable doing it, cars looking sick btw!

Any suggestions on cheap migs then? I'm more than willing to give it a go, I tried to book myself into a local college evening good class to give myself a grounding as to what I was doing! I just don't have the equipment!

Lucky for me that I kept both front halves of each exhaust as I had a feeling I may need them!

Sick is the word! You should see the lacquer peel and dents on her!

Nice thread, full of have a go spirit with a pleasing result!

haha "have ago spirit" that's me alright! jack of all trades master of none lol,

heres the exact welder I used although theres a ton out there which are of the same quality for around the same price , sealey for example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIEGEN-S0771-PORTABLE-MINI-MIG-WELDER-130AMP-230V-/291001435066?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43c10983ba

iv used ones without gas and using flux core wire but for something like this you want to use gas as it produces less splatter and a cleaner weld ,I was a tad scared/nervous when I first started learning and that really has an effect on the weld because you tend not to hold it down long enough for decent penetration, it took me awhile to get rid of that nervous feeling , don't know why I had it but its like a "holly crap I shouldn't be doing this" type of feeling! it soon goes away though, and not much can go wrong other then stuff catching fire so be prepared to make sure that cant happen,

your need one of these , it skews down on to the small mig gas bottles and then the hose from the mig welder push fits straight into it,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Disposable-mini-gas-bottle-regulator-Argon-CO2-for-mig-welding-/170856399400?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27c7d5c228

and gas , probably best to source locally , if you really get into it though you can get the bigger pub style bottles from a gas bottle place ,you just need a regulator adaptor for the mig hose, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Argon-CO2-Disposable-Mig-Welding-Gas-Cylinder-Bottle-/170839043595?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27c6ccee0b

welding mask http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTO-DARKENING-WELDING-HELMET-Welders-Mask-Solar-Powered-FLAMING-Black-/200841883214?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item2ec31bee4e

and a nice pair of leather gloves! and that's pretty much what you need to start welding, you need to make sure the metals clean! if theres any rust it will splatter making it hard to produce a nice weld, for tacking just point and shoot for 2secs for doing a beed {not on sheet/panels as beads will blow through and add to heat distortion} I go from side to side doing ccccccccccccccccccc think of it as hand writing, your just dragging the molten metal from one side to the other and back at the same time the mig is also automatically adding metal for you, theres a few more things like wire speed and heat settings which are the only two settings on these, oh your also need a nice grinder and cutting discs + flap disc's for cleaning up metal , if you want any more info from a diy pov then hit me up :) probably worth checking out youtube for mig videos aswell..

I do like the idea of being able to get a welder and teach myself. The only issue I have is funds at the moment with a potential house purchase later this year, so justifying a few hundred quid on welding equipment is difficult. Once the house has been bought, then that's a different matter :)

Thanks for all of the input though, it's hugely appreciated and it does provide me with a little bed time reading, which i'm sure to enjoy!

Another day goes by and in between the showers I managed to fit some new suspension! I managed to get hold of some Weitec Ultra TX's which are a shock and spring 40mm combo. Looks good and lowers the car to a height that I think works for every day use. No pictures as it went dark, so I'll try and get some tomorrow!

Well, it rained, rained and rained some more but luckily the sun eventually came out and I managed to have a test fit of my CH's.

20140126_154519_zps071edf08.jpg

Not bad for what is supposed to be a 40mm drop! There isn't much room in the front arch, I will have to see how it drives and go from there! Either way, I'm happy with the looks!

Looks good. You'd better keep them!

My weitecs were meant to be 40mm drop but it was definitely more like 60mm. Never had any issues unless I had people in the back.

Cheers Mic, It's ok, they're not going anywhere! If they do rub, then I have an excuse to expedite the trip to the bodyshop! If that doesn't work, I think I know of someone who is after them!

I'm looking forward to actually being able to drive this thing to see how a freshly rebuilt C24 drives!

Thanks Goldie! They're CH's though :p