KIPVW

Chris Gaskell (RW1) Gathering at 1pm at Stanford Hall to Honour Him

It is with immense regret that I have recently learned the very sad news that our Dear Friend, Enthusiast & Honoury Member

Chris Gaskell has passed away earlier this month.

I'm really quite unsure of the details surrounding his death but will update if i get to know.

To say Chris was an enthusiast is an absolute understatement, if there was anything he did not know about both Corrado's & Scirocco's it really wasn't worth knowing.

He will indeed be sadly missed by Judith & I at events throughout the year and his continual if only to wind us both up negative comments :lol:

The membership will no doubt miss his very informative and correct information regarding literally anything Corrado related.

RIP Chris.

You will be Missed by All.

There is a thread on the Corrado Club Forum should anyone want to leave any messages.

http://www.corradoclub.org/ccgb16/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=4&id=5482&Itemid=190#5482

Please also feel free to make a donation to Chris's other passion as he was also involved with BAE Systems for many years and this would be a very fitting tribute to the great man of all things mechanical.

http://www.justgiving.com/ChrisRW1Gaskell

Paul

Edited by KIPVW

Bloody hell, terrible news.

I met Chris at a National day two years ago. What a gent. As said above, so knowledgeable and helpful. We spoke at length and many times when he helped me with setting up the switches buy. A very clever man.

Chris will certainly be missed!

Gutted,,,, he helped me out and came to my house a few times, when you got to know him and his sense of humour he was a great guy.

Oh my god - I'm absolutely mortified to hear this :( I wouldn't say I was a good friend of Chris's but used to make a point of chatting to him at shows whenever I saw him. He was a font of knowledge for all things Corrado and Scirocco, and a very nice guy. This is a terrible loss for the community. And 53 is no age at all. Absolutely terrible news :(

Chris's knowledge was second to none, to the point of almost being intimidating. I remember speaking to him at a North West meet back in 2000. He was one of the first people I spoke with in the club. I the nervy newby asking about stiff handles. He being the man of "best practice", talking about oiling and being sure not to tarnish the paintwork, left me feeling in awe of his knowledge. But he always had a dry quip to add in, so as to break the anorak based tension. I too wish to reitterate the sentiments already made. And if I know half of what Chris knew when I reach 53, then I'll class myself a learned man.

Peace be with you Chris.

Edited by James.

Only met Chris once,at 2003 National day.Very knowledgeable guy,sad news

And that's where I first met him to and have chatted to him since at many shows over the last 10 years.

Great guy with a great sense of humour and huge passion for VW / Karmann cars with a technical knowledge that was second to none.

Really sad news, especially for someone who'd not even reached retirement - a great loss to the Corrado / Scirocco scene and of course his family and friends.

RIP Chris...Last spoke to Chris at Tatton Park last year...very friendly and knowledgeable guy.

Very sad news and a terrible loss. Always came across as a really nice guy. Deepest condolences to his family.

He was older than 53 by the way, I think more like 60. Still no age :-(

So sad to hear this news. Hats off to you Chris, knowledgeable and happy with sharing it too- cheers and god bless.

Edited by VAG-hag

He was older than 53 by the way, I think more like 60. Still no age :-(

Kip - yeah I was sure he was late 50's but as you say, not old enough :-(

Let me know if you here any more...

No way, that's such a shock, took me quite a while to get to chat with him over the years but a very friendly and sound chap and one those 'pillars' of the shows, ccgb and a fountain of knowledge, what sad news.

Very sad news , i never knew chris and as already said ,there was nothing he didnt know , he helped me with plenty of advice on fault finding when i had problems with my car and what he said got it sorted . I always used to say when someone had an electrical problem rw1 will see this and sort it for you !