Hofmiester

Changing heater matrix without removing dash?

Its not that bad tbh, Did it on the old valver. Certainly easier than removing the whole dash. Its a tight fit so there is more chance of breaking something, especially the heater ducts as its a tw@t to remove the clips at the back! That guide although isn't comprehensive, covers everything really. You'll see what you need to do as you go along mate. Just set aside a good few hours to do it if you've never done it before.

as above, fine to do with dash in, I had to replace the air distribution unit as a lever snapped, it's not really that bad too remove the whole thing in one go, just make sure all the fixings that go through into the engine bay are free and not siezed before you start taking anything apart.

Go for it Ron all the other work you have done so far wasn't all easy plus you can say you've done it :thumbleft:

Does anyone know of a more comprehensive guide to replacing the heater matrix without removing the dash? I just bought a vr6 yesterday with the matrix broken. Little did I know how much work was involved. Everyone on here has been incredibly helpful in detailing how to remove the dashboard. But if I can do without, (not through laziness, more so wariness) then I would rather do that. Thanks in advance for any replies. I did find another guide on the Internet here: http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19713 what do you think??

I'm currently stuck on mine. Something seems to be holding the dash in round the back and I can't seem to find what it is? Taking the dash out of my 1.8 16v as want to replace the foams etc.. Do I need to take the blower Moter and housing off is there fixings holding the dash at the back? I can't seem to work it out :-( any light would be wicked. Thank you.

guys ive compiled a word document with the majority of the pics that are missing from the kris guide on the wiki here

it is dash out but has lots of pictures with all screws etc specified

PM me your email address if you would like a copy or PM Jim on here as he has a pdf version

Hi g0ldf1ng3r, do you mind sending your word doc across to me to share? I am weighing up if I can do this myself and really want to ensure I can do it without breaking anything else. My email is [email protected] if you would prefer to msg me privately. Thanks in advance, jon