8vMatt

Another car most folks don't know what it is!

Hi all,

I know its not Corrado related but thought it might interest a few.

I've been mad and bought a VW Karmann Ghia. Even a week ago I had no thoughts of doing so but just went for it! Won the ebay auction and travelled upto London on the overnight coach with my partner. A little rusty in patches but a good interior and engine.

Well it turns out the seller hadn't done regular oil changes as he only did a small mileage. Anyone who knows about aircooled, knows about regular oil changes to keep things cool. So we overheat and breakdown 138 miles from home! Had to get recovered and cost loads in the process. Now its back home and cooled down, started first time, yay!

Nothing too much is planned at the moment for it, just a clean and tidy up. We want to learn about them as we go.

20130914_110254_zps16ef3642.jpg

20130914_181528_zps24c9ca99.jpg

Wow - good luck with your adventure! Lovely, classic car :)

If you need some advice, try PM'ing DEL VR6 on here - he's a former Corrado owner (or may well still have it I don't know) and also has a Karmann Ghia :)

Nice cars, and iconic I think. Love an aircooled motor as well, had a few myself. As with any of these old vw's I'd concentrate on the bodywork first if needed as that will be the killer. The engines are all fairly interchangeable and pretty reliable if maintained well, and parts are still very much available.

Good luck with it.

Your very lucky id love one but funds just wont allow , i may let myself have a beetle one day wen the times right

Good luck with it mate keep some updates on here so we know what your doing with it

Wow, cheers for the great response! Its going to be either a long term project to get nice or if the rusty blisters are a bit more involved, then we will just keep it to learn about the car.

A couple shots from the seller, I guess a while ago as its not as good as the pics suggest!

IMG-20130912-WA0003_zps7575b714.jpg

IMG-20130912-WA0004_zps001a11b1.jpg

A couple shots from the seller, I guess a while ago as its not as good as the pics suggest!

Isn't that usually the way with ebay! But a cool purchase, and not cheap these days I think. I've always liked these, and did consider one quite a few years back. Hope it doesn't cost you much to get it how you want. Good luck!

Isn't that usually the way with ebay! But a cool purchase, and not cheap these days I think. I've always liked these, and did consider one quite a few years back. Hope it doesn't cost you much to get it how you want. Good luck!

Haha, yep you're right but at least I can see the car could look nice and tidy.

I have always liked those, bit of a forerunner to our Corrados really, an early part of a long relationship with VW. Think Karmann built about four times as many as they did of the Corrado. Air cooled has its ups and downs too!

Yes a real classic really nice are these the VW Karmann Ghia.

Another classic vw saved, nice one.

My brother bought a 1967 T1 camper from America,

he works on it at the weekends,

so I'm sure it will look quite good when he's completed the restoration on it.

Your VW Karmann Ghia looks in good condition, unlike my brothers camper, :lol:

Si :salute: :thumbleft:

Lovely car,

Not sure oil would be the cause of the overheating

check

The cooling flap bellows is functioning, located under right hand cylinders, Common fault

Check the firewall board hasn't detatched and is being sucked up against the rear of the fan housing, happened to me

fan belt not slipping

the rubber seal around the engine is intact, it separates the "hot" bottom of the engine from the "cool" top half

timing too far advanced

I'm loving the love here guys, awesome response!

Thanks for the advice J.C., I'll check those bits out. Not sure I will get time to do much for a couple of weeks.

Cheers everyone.