robrado974

Back to a non starter , spluttery again !!!!

Thanks Rog , you have been a great help mate thanks , hope i can repay you when you need info or help as long as its not electrical lol. Thought i had it nailed too !. I have just spoken to Devon dub shack , he put me on to the electrician they use , he said , he would always recomend him Vw is his main area , he knows his way round a vr6 too. And he is cheap . I spoke to him tonight and he said all being well he should be able to get here on sunday .

HERES HOPING

Rob

Do not give up , it's just another test of patience , you need to find out if it's fuel or ignition, have you checked compressions? Is the head gasket on the way out? Pm some info and will try and help

Thanks mate ,i will do that ...........test my patience !!! she was headin for the crusher at 4pm lol

Do you have any chance to get to try another ECU ? - as thinking back from when I bought an older Passat VR6 (wich had periodical problems when I bought it) I checked "most" things, and replaced quite a bit, and that would sometime run just fine, some time it would stop by itself, and then sometimes one would have to wait for ages for it to fire up again, sometimes it would fire up again quite fast) etc - it was very random.

In the end it turned out to be a bad ECU, after I replaced that I never had a problem with it again - was actually the most easily starting VR6's I'v ever owned - it just fired imidiatly :)

On that car the damage to the ECU I suspect had been caused by low voltage to ecu time and time again :)

Maybe a thing to check out atleast - as it seem you have checked quite a bit :)

Hi Mawrick , yes this should be checked on sunday

Many thanks

Rob

Sounds good - my Passat was a he*** sorting out - but in the end it served me well for years after the ecu was replaced :) - and in the end I guess it turned out to be the cheapest car I'v ever owned as it just kept running....lol.....

I got p1553d with mine a few weeks back , I thought idd spend a week sorting out the rust on my wing , at the same time found an oil leak coming from the chain caseing , then spotted grease all around the inside of the drivers side wheel! {cv boot split} ah! I wasn't happy!! as the wing repair took a lot longer then expected , plus then had to strip the front end +inlet manilfold to find this oil leak, then order new seals n stuff from vw, then spent a day sorting out cv joint , had to remove the driveshaft as I couldnt get the room to hammer off the cv joint, covered in grease :( wasn't the funnest part of corrado ownership that's for sure!!

Sounds like a right mare ! i wouldnt mind if i just drove it and never looked after it ,but im always replacing stuff and doing bits ,its always been serviced as well .

There's got to be an answer to this issue. Sounds like an auto electrician is the way forward.

Really hope you get it sorted.

Following Mawrick's comments, I notice in your signature you have a superchip fitted; could this be playing up? Might be worth going back to standard just to rule it out...

M.

Following Mawrick's comments, I notice in your signature you have a superchip fitted; could this be playing up? Might be worth going back to standard just to rule it out...

M.

Could be worth a try , we will be checking everything tomorrow .

Rob

Had the auto electrican round today. With all the undertray out he began testing and looking at the wiring .The immobiliser was the first thing tested and found to be suspect ,so that was sorted out . After that it started ,then it would not . so the fuses relay and wiring to the ecu was tested and we found power going to the ecu . But when we tested the ecu there was nothing on the multi meter . So the conclusion was that the ecu is shot . Ive put out a wanted thread for one , when fitted i hope it starts and this will be the end of all .

Rob

Fingers crossed mate. Where was your chip sourced from Rob? I have heard of some killing ECUs but they are usually ebay specials. :scratch:

The chip has been on the car for over 8 years Sean , i have a receipt for it upstairs but the name escapes me at the moment .

The car has been starting first turn of the key for two weeks now . I hope im not tempting fate by writing this !. The auto electrcian i found through a friend of a friend found a dodgy earth near the ignition . I really hope this is sorted now . Im just updating because there is nothing worse than using the search when you have a problem and the thread is left open with no answer .

Rob

We will have to go out when the weather gets better and she is taxed bud , if it stops raining I might be able to fit new parts !

Sounds promising mate. Got my fingers crossed for you! You really need to get out in it for a bit though to rekindle that love affair, I know you've had a torrid time of late and have been contemplating getting rid, but there's nothing like a little play for a few hours to remind yourself why you've gone to such lengths to get it how it is now. 6 months tax costs a couple of tanks of fuel is all, and remember, you can SORN it again in a week and cash in on the rest of the tax anyway! :norty:

Just started my VR up tonight and the spluttery start is coming back . I noticed yesterday it was a bit sketchy on starting and tonight was worse . Tomorrow i will record it and put it on here ,to see what people think . Really thought i had solved this .

Rob

Hi Rob,

This sounds like a possible coil issue or power relay fault or even fuel pump relay problem?

The coil has no diag via vag-com tho!

Not sure, but there may be a ECU power relay, these suffer from dry joints as do the fuel pump relays.

All these sort of faults cause sporadic symptoms like your having.

Regards, Jochen.

Pretty sure all of the above have been replaced.

Not good Rob. Hope you get it sorted once and for all mate.

Jochen , as Sean says all above has been checked although having said that I'm going to have to start again from the top now . Sean defiantly not good news , this car is starting to get me down .

have you had a look at the big wiring harness plug at the right side of the engine? it twist's and then pulls apart, look for corrosion on the pins? or maybe try another set of injectors? blockage? , also it might be a good idea to update this thread with a list of the things that you have tried as its at 10 pages already , hope you get this sorted budd! I remember when I first got my corrado , it ran fine up until I washed the bonnet, after that it was hard to start and when it did the revs went up and down repeatedly then under driving it would just back fire and drive like Crap!!, a previous owner mentioned that it never ran right, basically it turns out that the MAF sensor wiring would allow water to run down into the maf plug!! depending on how wet/damp it got the worse it was, god knows how long previous owners put up with that for, luckily for me it was dry when I brought the thing back home! and thanks to this forum I found out what is was pretty quick..

Hi Vw owner 85 . I have had just about every plug off and cleaned with elecrical contact cleaner . Im sure the maff plug is ok , we have had dry weather for a while so its not got wet . Im going to clean everything again , just because i dont really know what else to do .The list of what i have done is as follows . Checked coil , new leads , new dizzy cap , new plugs , all sensors replaced and are now around three years old . Maff , wiring harness , ecu connections and other plugs cleaned .Imobiliser disconnected but alarm still connected as the auto electrician was not happy with it .Dodgy earth sorted near ignition .New ignition switch .Fuel wise. Second hand fuel pump fitted , new fuel filter , new fuel pressure regulator fitted , new fuel lines from the hard lines and fuel pressure checked . I dont think the injectors are blocked as when its running there is no loss of power at all .The problem started with a spluttery start from cold , sometimes i would have to turn it over around six times to start it . Once the car had started i could switch the ignition off and it would start again straight away with no problems . The longer i left it between starting the harder it was to start it up . This led me to believe it might be the fuel return failing ?. Once the auto electrician had found the dodgy earth it has started fine with no problems . Im now concerned the problem is returning as the last few times i have started the car it fires but struggles to pick up straight away , it splutters and then picks up. Which as i have said is how the problem started .I will keep an eye on how it starts from and see what happeneds .I got home from work today and tried to record the start but it only spluttered for a very short time before picking up .

Rob

replace the temp sender for ecu to rule that out then it cheap enough that its worth a try, or if you got vagcom/vcds you should be able to find coolant temperature in the options , it will tel you the exact temp the sender is giving the ecu , then compare that with the actual temp, best do that from cold , i.e if says the coolant temp is 110 degrees you know its telling porkys!! as the engines cold,

taken from the cooling guide Blue,

2-pin plug. VAG part number 025 906 041 A (about £8, plus O-ring N 903 168 02)

ECU (always there)