Bullfinch

Heyday of the Corrado

Having recently returned to the Corrado I feel that I prefer driving this, due to the theatre of actually driving it, than my wife's boring '09 Honda. And as great the corrado is I wouldn't say it was particularly rapid in modern company due to the torque gained from modern diesel and turbo technology.... but surely anyone buying one isn't think 'I'm going to be ruling the road with this' as even the youngest ones are at least 17 years old now so times have moved on.

I often think about what I could get but given I went on a 'spirited' drive a few days ago and just the evening traffic meant I averaged less than 40mph over a 25 mile run it seems pointless to get anything more powerful. Maybe it's coming back from 2 wheels but honestly if I wanted to get from A to B as quick as possible on todays road it'd have to be a motorbike.... and that comes with its own obvious downsides.

We're clearly a bunch of people with exceptionally good taste so just enjoy these cars for what they are now, sod racing everything you see and just reap the satisfaction of all the chufties as a lot of people still love a bit of Corrado action

But an MX5 isn't crashy and harsh on Britain's shyte roads though. A car can quickly lose it's appeal if you cringe at the state of the road ahead of you.

yeah I see what you mean, my 16v is on standard 195 tyres but the eibach springs does make you clench for the road surface ahead, but the 8v on new shocks and standard springs is not bad at all.

But an MX5 isn't crashy and harsh on Britain's shyte roads though. A car can quickly lose it's appeal if you cringe at the state of the road ahead of you.

I think that's fair point.

Of my cars, the best ride for the state of our local roads is probably the Dolly, then the Rocco, the GT6 and finally the Corrado!

But get the Rado on a decent road and it's a lovely drive.

Cheers

Jeff

I love my Corrado, but it needs to be seen as a product of the 80's and 90's. I once owned a MGB, which was completely outclassed by nearly every modern car. It was still a hoot to drive and made a refreshing change from a modern.

Come back when you've got more experience and can put across a more balanced argument.

Did the mk4 comment hit a nerve chicken? :fondle: hahaha

I think that's fair point.

Of my cars, the best ride for the state of our local roads is probably the Dolly, then the Rocco, the GT6 and finally the Corrado!

But get the Rado on a decent road and it's a lovely drive.

I never could fathom why though. I mean, taking a late VR6 for example, it has monumentally long springs (we need to dig out that picture of Dinkus' after his rebuild!), nice comfy 50 profile 15" tyres, reasonable suspension travel and yet, it just seems to lose the plot over broken surfaces!

"on a decent road", yeah that's the problem. I kind of like cars that aren't a one trick pony now, but then I am getting on a bit now.

Anyway, I think my old Corrado's ears are burning and I've offended him enough :D

Did the mk4 comment hit a nerve chicken? :fondle: hahaha

I can take it....and give it, so it's all good. Just watch your back E Gay :D

My mate sells new VW's and my VR6 honestly could not shake his mk6 1.4tsi Golf. I drove the mk7 GTI back from Goodwood and it is a stormer, it would annhilate a Corrado but who here would spend £30k on a Golf? My mk2 8v is slower than dripping treacle but it's fun, cheap and I love it.

Anyway aren't we a bit off topic? Surely the heyday was when they were winning all those group tests?

My mate sells new VW's and my VR6 honestly could not shake his mk6 1.4tsi Golf. I drove the mk7 GTI back from Goodwood and it is a stormer, it would annhilate a Corrado but who here would spend £30k on a Golf? My mk2 8v is slower than dripping treacle but it's fun, cheap and I love it.

Exactly mate why £30k on a golf just buy a very nice condition corrado vr6 (like your's) throw £10k at it and the role's will be reversed plus you will have a car that look's 10x cooler than a golf result.

Exactly mate why £30k on a golf just buy a very nice condition corrado vr6 (like your's) throw £10k at it and the role's will be reversed plus you will have a car that look's 10x cooler than a golf result.

Or you can just do both like I have :)

Oh sorry meant nothing by it guv'nor honest :) I tell a lie actually because I would quite happily buy a mk7 GTI if I could comfortably afford it.

Right Ron there is always an exception you are a lucky chap :) Can't wait to see your figure's from the rr day might persuade me to get a charger :D

I miss corrado's. There's just a certain appeal. I could stare at mine for a good 5-10 mins every time I went for a smoke or clean it for 3 days straight. Now a days I don't even clean my cars for months on end let alone look at them lol.

Regarding the handling, most modern hot hatches will kill a Rado but they'll never be as fun and that's what owning a corrado is all about! If you want something comfortable with ace handling and 0 crashiness buy a new hatch but if you want a car you'll look forward to hooning in buy a corrado. :)

I miss corrado's. There's just a certain appeal. I could stare at mine for a good 5-10 mins every time I went for a smoke or clean it for 3 days straight. Now a days I don't even clean my cars for months on end let alone look at them lol.

Regarding the handling, most modern hot hatches will kill a Rado but they'll never be as fun and that's what owning a corrado is all about! If you want something comfortable with ace handling and 0 crashiness buy a new hatch but if you want a car you'll look forward to hooning in buy a corrado. :)

You could always buy your old car back if you miss them that much.

Oh sorry meant nothing by it guv'nor honest :) I tell a lie actually because I would quite happily buy a mk7 GTI if I could comfortably afford it.

Yeah that's the thing, when it was a new golf and a £3k corrado then I could comfortably afford it.....now that it's a £7k corrado that does 25mpg I'm feeling it :)

You could always buy your old car back if you miss them that much.

Wrong engine in it now and even then I think it's a romance that's had it's time; I've had 4! I have looked for a nice car in the right colour for a while with little luck.

Bigger and better things now.

Edited by Abdul

Yeah that's the thing, when it was a new golf and a £3k corrado then I could comfortably afford it.....now that it's a £7k corrado that does 25mpg I'm feeling it :)

25 mpg , wat u got feather feet ? Haha get your led foot out you'l soon see 19mpg

I hope this isn't building up to a for sale thread Ron :nono:

I agree with the better handling more power comments but how often do you drive your car at the limits on the road? I don't very often but then I'm in my forties:( I'd rather drive Rams or kipvr or kips cars than many of the more modern vehicles. Plus it still has that rarity factor that makes me smile. Same reason I would prefer an 8 series beamer to one of their newer cars.