Alty

Sound Proofing.....

Got the back stripped out and plan on building a false floor etc. but has anyone found a just a good but cheaper alternative to dynamat ?

Apparently flashing tape works well and is cheaper. Available at B&Q etc...

If you use it, let me know how you get on. Sound proofing is on my never ending list of things to do!

don't use it, its not nearly as good as the proper stuff - also you'll need twice as much to get a similar effect and its heavier. I tried both(although I used Damplifier) so that's my own experience/error!

Incidentally it does also depend what you want to do - this only reduces panel vibration and wont really stop road noise. For that you need a sound blocker (for low frequencies) which is that heavy bitumen black layer with the padding behind it. You then need to separate that from the floor itself and you can use something like Cloud 9 underlay. That will stop the bulk of the road noise, assuming that's what you're looking to do?

I've got about 10 sheets of damplifier left over if you're interested?

The more I read on this the more I think I should just get my wallet out and pay for some dynamat!

Thanks for the offer though.

Are you sound proofing for audio reasons or just trying to make the car quieter?

I dynamatted mine years ago (including the roof to stop that vibrating from the bass) and it made little difference to overal refinement, but it did work well on thinner panels near speakers to stop them flapping about.

To make the car quieter, I recommend this fire and water resistant foam. http://www.efoam.co.uk/fireseal-foam.php

I used the 12mm thick stuff and stuck it to every panel on my MK4 over the summer and it made a huge difference :)

I'm doing this to reduce road noise + the Fing exhaust noise! I'm getting old! a false floor will be going in anyway but I thought it would be a good idea to put something onto the metal work first.

Use silent coat mate!

£90 for 40 sheets, we use it all the time at Oxford Car Audio. what i have used on the rado.

If you were in the oxford area i could sort you a better price, due to the weight there isnt much point in me posting it as its cost silly amounts to send!

I used dynamat,and then put dynaliner over the top of it.

I've used fatmat,but not as good as dynamat/dynamat lite

To stop excessive exhaust drone,I found the best mod was to soundproof the underside of the parcel shelf

Looks good thanks for the help.

I used dynamat,and then put dynaliner over the top of it.

I've used fatmat,but not as good as dynamat/dynamat lite

To stop excessive exhaust drone,I found the best mod was to soundproof the underside of the parcel shelf

Back is completely stripped out :D

Alty can you post up some photos or send me some of the process and the end result as im currently designing mine to do the same.

Another vote for Silentcoat.

Even though the boot of mine had already been covered in an unknown type(2mm) I recently add some 4mm silentcoat over the top of it in the boot. It made a huge difference and drastically reduced the drone from the exhaust. If your exhaust isn't too loud you will get away with the 2mm stuff otherwise you will need to either double layer it or buy some 4mm just for the boot area.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76617[/ATTACH]

Will be on this at the weekend I'll send pictures when I'm finished!

headlining felt from scrapped large cars and vans was always my favourite, don't use in damp locations like the inside of doors but great for rear quarters, centre tunnel, under dash and floor and anywhere you can stuff and glue it out of sight, it's light compared to the thin sheet high mass stuff which I only use in certain locations it's more suited to.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76617[/ATTACH]

Will be on this at the weekend I'll send pictures when I'm finished!

thats the stuff!! :afro:

headlining felt from scrapped large cars and vans was always my favourite, don't use in damp locations like the inside of doors but great for rear quarters, centre tunnel, under dash and floor and anywhere you can stuff and glue it out of sight, it's light compared to the thin sheet high mass stuff which I only use in certain locations it's more suited to.

cheap skate :shades: