southerner88

Aaron's VR6 - is now R32'd - that sweet, sweet noise! (Page 20)

OK, so been on here a while and thought it time to start a thread with the progress of what I'm doing, any help along the way will be much appreciated...I'm not mechanically.minded, fortunately my friends are, but I'm learning!

I've got a aqua blue 93 vr6 with cloth interior. Had some issues with starting her up and revs dropping etc just after I got her so we ended up stripping the fusebox down and completely re-wiring, also took the bodged immobiliser out whilst we were there.. Dash came out so we could do the wiring and whilst its out I'm planning to change the dash lights as they are pretty dim and replace the heater controls with a working set I bought. Also have one of the uprated head light looms to pop in.

Just purchased an obd2 turbo'd vr6 to put in too, work is starting on that shortly. Ive started to clean the new engine up, all the pipes have been cleaned up and made a nice pile in the corner of the front room, other half not massively impressed. Also the intake manifold is off getting cleaned up ready for spraying and putting back on. will update with pictures of progress as we go along...any help or suggestions are more than welcome!

Edited by southerner88

Cleaning up the manifold, its a bit messy but has 4 layers of paint I'm trying to get through, slowly getting it back to silver ready for me to paint

u3e8amy9.jpg

That nitromors and some wire wool is amazing stuff! Got it all cleaned up and back to bare metal plus the first coat of black on...

esyvatez.jpg

Also started getting the front end off ready for the engine swap, struggling to get the bonnet release cable off though...

2eja2e3y.jpg

Sadly got to pack up for the day now, night shifts here we go

Nice work mate ,hope you put some etch primer on there wouldn't want it to peal,,will pop round when I get time and your not at work mate,,

Just found the spec of the engine I bought....

2.8 obd2

t3/t4 turbo

external wastegate and screamer pipe

walbro 255 inline fuel pump

10mm ht leads

engine was refreshed by vulcan engineering, have receipt for £3175.64

Timing chain kit was replaced, coated rod bearings, arp head and rod bolts, 9:1 low comp metal head spacer etc.

replaced oil pressure and temperature switch, coolant housing and coolant, spark plugs, used 10w 60 oil recommended by stealth, coolant sensor, oil return pipe to turbo, all boost pipes.

manifold is arp but doesnt have stamp on it?

has oil cooler

dump valve

4" maf

at stealth for dyno run last year for there dyno day and it made 300.6 bhp and 300.0 lbs torque at 7 psi

what do you think of it?

Got the first coat of the new manifold colour, LC5U to match the car, not sure how long or if it will last but it will also be getting a high temp lacquer of some sort over the top...any recommendations?? Also completely stumped with the bonnet release cable, the clamp on the passenger side is rusted shut. Gt85'd it, cleaned it, repeated several times and still no give...please help! yguvy8an.jpg3esetapu.jpg5umyne5a.jpgyqupy2e7.jpg

Looking good. The only thing I'd mention is that Screamer pipes are illegal in the UK, which is a shame as they sound awesome!

Well I guess you'd get caught at the MOT as it'd be un-catalysed exhaust.

There's some great vids on youtube of people in the states running them and the noise is fantastic IMO

The bonnet release clamp is literally a shaped rod of metal that clips into the slam panel, you do know it pushes the opposite way to the other side.

I think they both move inwards towards centre of car.

Just had a look mic, sound amazing! I may leave it on as I get on well with my MOT garage ;-)

Jim, this is where I'm at on the passenger side..

e7asuja2.jpg

I may have to invest!

There will be a 2.9 vr6 engine up for sale shortly, just got the engine hoist so will have it out soon hopefully...let me know if your interested!

Made some progress today, firstly my Corrado decided eat one of my mates who's helping me, spat him back out after though, then we got the original engine out, and started cleaning the bay..

3yjava3u.jpg

yvy6u2ed.jpg

My temporary turbo engine, not sure of the bhp on it though...

eja4y8uz.jpg

And I am amazingly stumped with sorting the loom out, I've got the OBD1 OBD2 looms, trying to go through the guide thread but really struggling, any one got one already done??

4etepa4e.jpgazu7u6ab.jpg

Edited by southerner88

Starting to build the engine up with the turbo etc, hopefully won't be long until its in, working is a different matter as I'm not fully sure what I'm doing, but I have hope! Swapped the gearbox over from the old engine to the new one last night too. The loom is starting to take shape now, think its about ready to go in.

7ajymubu.jpg

Any one any experience with the turbo gauge? Is it best to run the cables for it through the bulkhead with the loom?

So a few bits attached to the back of the engine and tightened up now, turbo, wastegate and exhaust manifold

mugyqy5u.jpg

aqa2ypap.jpg

And now the engine is back in the car, not fitted yet, waiting for some extra muscle to come round and help fine tune its positioning. Not much space at the back now, going to have to squeeze some boost pipes and a downpipe in there somewhere

7avudy9y.jpg