nipper09

car want start after being garaged?

Hi all, my 95 storm was fine when I garaged it 6 myths ago

I've charged battery which is fine, placed key in ignition turned over and started strait away, stalled after 20secs now will just keep turning over and not fire. All help much appreciated as I need to get it moted ready for sale. Cheers paul

How much fuel is in it, and is it fresh? 6 months isn't a long time, but the fuel will start to go stale. Can you hear the fuel pump priming at second turn of the ignition? Relays are a common problem. Also check you have a spark by earthing the plugs on the block and turning it over. Worth doing a search for non starting problems, it's a pretty common question.

Hi

Cheers for quick response, think that as it initially started it has a spark.

Not a lot of fuel in it shall I put a fresh gallon in?

Also when I actually reconnect battery there is a noise under the bonnet is this the fuel pump?

I can't do a second turn because if I stop turning it over and try again alarm/immobilized kicks in?

Cheers Paul.

Hi

Cheers for quick response, think that as it initially started it has a spark.

Not a lot of fuel in it shall I put a fresh gallon in?

Also when I actually reconnect battery there is a noise under the bonnet is this the fuel pump?

I can't do a second turn because if I stop turning it over and try again alarm/immobilized kicks in?

Cheers Paul.

are you sure the alarm is not the problem ?ive had fuel go off but a good rock of the car remixes so to speak and it runs but not well ??

I wouldn't have a clue about the alarm.

Who is the best to call? Auto electrician?

Any pointers will be gratefully.

Cheers paul

For an engine to run it needs;

To be timed correctly (crank and cam(s)in there relevant positions)

A spark at the plugs?

Fuel in the cylinders? (Remove the spark plugs after cranking, are they wet with petrol? Does the exhaust smell of petrol?)

Compression in the cylinders?

What's missing?

Probably the idle air valve stuck wide open.

You should be able to hear the fuel pump running for a couple of secs after the ign is turned on and the aux water pump running all the time as VAG-hag says.

Probably the idle air valve stuck wide open.

You should be able to hear the fuel pump running for a couple of secs after the ign is turned on and the aux water pump running all the time as VAG-hag says.

How do I locate and shut this valve?

Cheers paul

Isv is behind the throttle body , cylinder shaped part with hoses coming off of it . If you remove the hoses it will pull off it's holder (there's a rubber sleeve holding it on ). Simply place the isv in a jar of carb cleaner and leave over night to clean it . You can gently move the opening flap with a screw driver , to make sure it's got free movement . Do not attempt to open it any more than it is , they are set to leave a certain gap . Post a pic up of the way it is now so people can see what size the appature is .

Rob

Cheers pal

Will have a go at that. As for a photo I've only got a kindle and 1980s phone.

Dark ages I know. Can get my daughter to take a pic. And e mail?

Cheers paul

Cheers pal

Will have a go at that. As for a photo I've only got a kindle and 1980s phone.

Dark ages I know. Can get my daughter to take a pic. And e mail?

Cheers paul

Is it the idle air control valve your talking about?

Found that in my Bentley book! Can I soak in something else like petrol?

Cheers paul

I don't see why not , obviously leave the plug end dry . If you have the manual it will tell you the size of the opening , I think it's a quarter of the hole showing ?

Rob

I don't see why not , obviously leave the plug end dry . If you have the manual it will tell you the size of the opening , I think it's a quarter of the hole showing ?

Rob

have taken the part off

Can't see any opening! There's 2 ways o looking into it via the hose apertures which aperture do I look into and move with screwdriver?

Cheers paul

On the top of it , there should be a metal flap type part ? . It's on a spring so it should be able to open further then, retract back to its setting .

On the top of it , there should be a metal flap type part ? . It's on a spring so it should be able to open further then, retract back to its setting .

Hi again mate.

Just checked the valve again no flap. Just two hose apertures and throttle position harness connector!!

I've taken off the idle air control valve? It's item no18 page 24-380-1 in Bentleys book?

am I soaking wrong part?

Cheers paul

Yes , the isv , my manual is with a friend so I can't Check the part no , but isv is right , can you put a pic up so I can see it .

Rob

Yes , the isv , my manual is with a friend so I can't Check the part no , but isv is right , can you put a pic up so I can see it .

Rob

We've tried uploading photos no luck can u send me ur email or fone no.?

Cheers paul