robrado974

Adhesive for scuttle advice

I take it the clip retainers have snapped off yours then?

Most screen fitters just stick them down with a big glob of the urethane glue they bond the screen in with.

Fairly sure these are held on with white square clips which are just below the bottom of the windscreen Rob. Are these still there on yours?

Mmmmm going to check when I get home . They won't stop the water that runs down the screen though . If I lift it up you can see the bottom of the screen , am I right in saying that because it's bonded the water runs off ?

Rob

There are clips, two parts to the clip, i tried to get some from the dealers but they only had one part of it.

I ended up buying some velcro dots and was going to use them but totally forget i had them and ended up using tiger seal.

If the scuttle panels are fitted correctly with the clips, you can't lift them up at all (without breaking them). We are talking about the 3 panels under the wiper arms aren't we?

Yes that's the ones Kev . Will have a look when I get home , I had clips before it went in for paint ! . There are two screws at either end as well. I thought the top had to be sealed to the screen ? . Is tiger seal ready available Jim ?

Rob

if the clips have been butchered (seems to happen with any screen change) then I'd just look for some windscreen adhesive on ebay as Kev says, not the easiest stuff to source from local places though and I don't think screen fitting companies will sell it to you directly

Ah I see what you mean now Rob, no, those trims are not designed to form a water tight seal against the glass. They are purely decorative :)

I sprayed all the metal underneath with some of that sprayable wax stuff that dries hard. Think it was a Dintronol product, (spelt that wrong)

Dinitrol

If you have a Wurth outlet nearby, their cavity wax smells exactly like the stuff they used at the factory. Same colour too.

Ah I see what you mean now Rob, no, those trims are not designed to form a water tight seal against the glass. They are purely decorative :)

Thanks for all the replys guys. Kev , so the water will run Dow between and escape through the wings ?

yep, the scuttle area is what catches and drains the water not the trims above, I suppose they help stop spray running straight onto the ECU etc,

on the scuttle trims it's also annoying that the end securing screw sits in a little recess, water just sits on top of it

Thanks Dragon , i have metal retaining clips to hold them on at the moment . Really sorry but im getting a bit confused . At the moment as said i have retaining clips on the front and screws at each end to hold the scuttle . My concern is that you can lift it off the screen and see the water in the channel where the sreen stops , this seems like a rot and rust trap to me , so i was going to seal it to the screen ,so the water will run off the screen and onto the scuttle ,not underneath it .

Rob

Hi mate,

I have just bought (in the last month) a few of these clips from VW heritage.(As I am about to change the foliage cover seal) They took about two weeks to come from da vaterland though. I will look out the part number for you when I get home.

Dougie

aqu5e6yg.jpg

The white clips, metal clips and 2 screws hold the covers down, but not firm to the windscreen. I know what you're saying about the water sitting though. It's not a great design!

Thanks Dougie , very kind of you . Diarmaid , that explains it now , I thought the plastic ones were replacement ones for the front , having never had any on the top I didn't know . Thankyou so much for your help everyone

Rob

Part numbers for white plastic clips and rubber inserts as below. Clips from your dealer, inserts from Classic Parts in Germany, ordered through VW Heritage.

Clip, 535 853 832 A 03C x 10 required, still available from the main dealer, around 70p each inc VAT.

Insert sleeve to sit in the windscreen lower framework, 535 853 837, classic part as of 01 Feb 12.