borachris

Cone filters

Ok guys I'm not bothered about which company makes the boldest claims or which company the local chavs prefer at the moment, but to put it simply who makes the best quality cone filter?

I want a good quality item that isn't going to fall apart and is actually going to do the job it's meant to do, stop crap getting sucked into my engine!

Ram air, k&n, green, pipercross?

It's going to be fitted on the drivers side with a heat shield so hopefully heatsoak will be kept to a minimum.

A lot of the 1.8t guys rave about these Honda S2000 paper cones but I just don't know if I'd want a Honda part on my corrado lol

I can vouch for the S2000 filters. I put one on mine last week and for around £14, it can be done on a whim :)

Excellent tip. Cheap as chips, a paper filter, and should be a near enough direct fit. Had never heard of these S2000 cone filters before.

A lot of the S3 guys use these. Only thing is, they're pricy for an annual filter.

AEM dryflow.

Oiled ones can cause maf issues.

True if you use too much oil, go steady and they are not a problem

Lol, what's the benefit of the S2000 filter then? Is anyone claiming big power increases from it, or is it just people getting excited by open filters making more noise than stock?

I suspect probably just noise and good filtration wit a lower risk of damaging the MAF.

It's only over-oiled filters that wreck MAFs. Reoiling with the correct amount is an art few people have mastered :D

Oiled filters clog up very quickly and become less effective than paper anyway, so I can totally see why Honda went with paper, even though they don't use MAFs. Function over form. Good stuff Rhonda. The Bacon approves.

I stuck a brand new K&N induction kit on my VR6 a few years ago to give it a try.

Made too much induction noise and did absolutely zilch to increase performance, so I took it off and sold it.

Now running a standard airbox with an annually changed OE paper filter.

Result is excellent filtration and a nice sounding VR6 which is no slower than one running a loud induction kit!

ill get back on this in a few weeks once I pick mine up from the paint shop,

I purchased it with a cone k&n filter with no heat shield whatsoever.....does make a good noise

once I get it back I have a bmc cda filter with cold air feed ready to go in so I will report back the difference if any

initial hopes are that I retain the sound but maybe help the engine out a bit

I stuck a brand new K&N induction kit on my VR6 a few years ago to give it a try.

Made too much induction noise and did absolutely zilch to increase performance, so I took it off and sold it.

Result is excellent filtration and a nice sounding VR6 which is no slower than one running a loud induction kit!

I've stuck with the standard airbox & paper filter, and just tapped out the snorkel. Gives a little more growl under acceleration but otherwise sounds fairly standard :)

Not VR, but shows how good paper filters are

ill get back on this in a few weeks once I pick mine up from the paint shop,

I purchased it with a cone k&n filter with no heat shield whatsoever.....does make a good noise

once I get it back I have a bmc cda filter with cold air feed ready to go in so I will report back the difference if any

initial hopes are that I retain the sound but maybe help the engine out a bit

My VR came with a K&N and I changed to a BMC CDA

I thought the BMC was quieter generally especially when just pootling about-the K&N was just too intrusive for my liking

My VR came with a K&N and I changed to a BMC CDA

I thought the BMC was quieter generally especially when just pootling about-the K&N was just too intrusive for my liking

can I ask if that was direct cold fed or open in the bay

Couldn't have put it better myself :D

10 years ago I was proper into binning off all the OEM stuff, thinking VW deliberately shoved a load of old paper into the tiniest airbox possible to restrict power, but as the years pile on, you realise they do things properly!

can I ask if that was direct cold fed or open in the bay

The K&N had a flimsy corrugated pipe cable tied to direct air from the lower valance area. The BMC is just in the bay as close to the original snorkel feed as possible

Hmmmm I'm undecided what to do lol

I have the airbox from the A3 that the engine came from but it's massive so I don't think that would fit, I could try and find a VR one I suppose but I kinda like things noisy lol

Not overly keen on the BMC's and I really can't justify the price tbh

Just thought I chip in and say that my 2.8 24v doesn't have the awsome induction sound that the 12v does, the noise dissipates( almost dissapears) around 3000rpm instead of roaring up to redline, I ended up converting the airbox back to stock,

I've stuck with the standard airbox & paper filter, and just tapped out the snorkel. Gives a little more growl under acceleration but otherwise sounds fairly standard :)

+1 :cool: