coullstar

Ignition switch.....or is it?

Ive pulled them all and checked.

Havent checked with a meter, do you mean each fuse or the fuse slot? Ive moved fuses around but nothings changed.

Edited by coullstar

Ive pulled them all and checked.

Havent checked with a meter, do you mean each fuse or the fuse slot? Ive moved fuses around but nothings changed.

Fuses can sometimes look OK but you can never be sure unless you either get a consumer on the circuit to work or you carry out a continuity check on both pins of the fuse.

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

Tried 3 different fuses in the slot 16 which from reading other posts is the shared one and still no change. I'll check them properly though.

Ok, out of interest, do the head lights work? With the ign switch in position two (normal running) are the lights on full?

They don't actually as I checked that as well. They are still as if ign is not on.

Fuel gauge not working. Lights work as per normal i.e. full on when ignition is on. No communication from Vacgom, doesnt read anything.

I'm thinking that either, the alarm has been wired incorrectly and is cutting the supply to the ecu, the ecu itself is buggered, or another wiring issue.

I had a quick look at the wiring diagrams and appears that the ecu powers up the dash warning lights so maybe the problem lies there.

Maybe pull the ecu plug and have a look.

Rog.

Ive got a spare ECU so I could swap them out and see what that does. At least as a process of elimination. I still think its alarm somehow. Thanks for the help.

Any other suggestions to check. I've not had time to look at it but could so this weekend.

I'm thinking if tracing back the alarm and immob and removing them, will the alarm unit be the main thing or will there be a seperate immob unit. It's a cobra one, looks as old as the car.

I'm away from home at the moment so can't give exact info sorry, but if it makes you suspect the alarm, my car exhibits these exact symptoms if I try and start it if I forget to disarm the alarm/immo. My alarm is a toad alarm though. Can you find the wiring diagram or installation booklet for your alarm, that will tell you what wire does what.

Do you have a status light for the alarm?

There is and it is still on. Im all for ripping it out to be honest as I hate alarms etc. More hassle than there worth to me.

So, 5 pages long, a few weeks later and loads of help from you guys and I was no further forward. One minute on google and its fixed lol.

Did a quick search and its brings up the vid in this link -

I quickly grab the keys, go out to the car in the ****ing rain and yep that right it, it works. Quickly throw the seat back in the car and assmeble enough of the dash to take it for a run. Alls good.

So there you go, something simple afterall. Maybe Ill treat it to some bits now.