coullstar

Ignition switch.....or is it?

Okay having never had an ignition switch issue any of my previous Corrado's I may have finally had one.

Drove the car to work this morning, no issue etc. In fact Iv never had a problem starting.

Went out at lunch and tried to start but noticed that the dash lights did not come on however all the various relay, cliking noises were apparent as normal. Everything else is fine but car didnt even try to turn over.

I replaced the ecu relay as I carry a spare but still nothing.

So there I am swearing about the switch and tried to activate the alarm however nothing happened. I dont use the alarm but it always works when I hit the button by accident (Cobra original alarm). I have my spare keys so tried that fob and same.

Im now in doubt as to whether its the alarm or ign switch now. Would the lack of dash ignition lights and ABS lights happen with dodgy ign switch or am I looking at alarm?

Either way its stuck and going no where for the first time in my life I may be looking at not being able to fix it and get it home.

Have you checked fuses as my bro had a similar problem with car not starting and turned out to be a blown fuse which was caused by the spolier motor overloading and it being on the same fuse as the stock immobiliser

Not yet, was going to do that when I get time.

Thanks, Ive looked up the bypass thing already, just need to get it home then I can worry about it as have other cars to use.

The alarm wouldn't stop the dash lights coming on. It would just cut the fuel and starter motor circuits and nothing else. Try wiggling the key firmly in the barrel whilst turning the key. If you get signs of life briefly, it's defo the switch.

Tried that, I got very heavy handed and didnt make any difference.

Its just gone from perfectly fine to nothing. I'll try bumping it and if not its flatbed time as Im not arsing about in works carpark trying to fix it.

Mine used to be worse on hot days, I'd have to leave the windows or doors open for a few minutes till it cooled down before it would start.

I fitted a pushbutton start for those days ;)

I'm thinking ignition switch too . My T4 started doing this . Mine would start will a wiggle , I changed it before it broke down . Mabey it has just died instead of playing up first ? . Hope you get it sorted .

I had this happen to me before on my last Corrado, turned out to be a bad earth between block and chassis. I seem to remember that a lot of the instruments earth through the block. Can't remember if start/run power also runs through the block or not?

That earth being bad also stops the starter from working.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks, will have a look when I get time. Ign switch ordered so will tyry that first. Interestingly most other items worked on the car other than the sunroof and rear spoiler and read previous posts about this but the fuse no.16 is fine.

I had this happen to me before on my last Corrado, turned out to be a bad earth between block and chassis.

That earth being bad also stops the starter from working.

Just my 2 cents.

Where is this?

I got the switch out and turned it all the way as if to start the car and the relays are clicking but still the same i.e. no joy and no dash lights.

All electrical items work except the sunroof and rear spoiler so must be linked.

New switch on the way to try but have a feeling its not that now.

Did you try the bypass? My ignition switch just stopped working like yours. I also thought my starter was on the way out as it was really slow for a while, new switch cured that as well.

New ignition switch and.....no joy. Exactly the same. I think its alarm related but to be honest I dont really have a clue. Im useless when it come to this so I may just rip the dash apart, remove the alarm and go from there.

Situation is no lights on dash when ignition is on, immobiliser / alarm fob doesnt do anything and sunroof/rear spoiler dont work. Everything else works fine and has power.

Unusual for the immobiliser to cut the ign power, the immobiliser circuits are normally wired so they cut the starter signal and fuel pump but I guess it depends on who fitted it.

What year and model is yours, I'll have a look through the Bentley manual wiring diagrams and see if I can see anything obvious.

Rog.

93 vr. Thanks. What normally happens is the most of the dash lights come on when turn to position 1 of key turn. I deactivate the immobiliser and the rest of the lights come on then turn to start the car.

I'm sure the alarm is as old as the car. It's a cobra one.

Worth just getting an auto electrician out to have a look? They should be able to diagnose it fairly quickly and maybe even bypass the alarm / immob for you?