Rathion

Rathions Red Rado...Turbo.

Hi. I'm Ian long time Corrado owner but recently acquired one of the more well known ones on this forum. James's VRT build L898 KVT.

After nearly buying it when it was for sale the last time when it was still quite local to me, I waited too long and it went all the way down to Exeter.

So me being me and doing things the hard way I went all the way to Exeter to bring it back!

I drove it home (Aberdeenshire) from Exeter and it was fine for approx 550 miles. Then suddenly whilst driving along the revs just died straight to zero.

Pulled over, car re-started straight off. Didn't miss a beat the rest of the journey home (over 100 miles).

Went out to start car couple of days later. It started but cut out fairly quickly. Wouldn't really idle for any length of time at all and wouldn't really run even with throttle applied. It just died abruptly after varying amounts of time. Things appeared to improve after a little heat got into the car although I'm not sure if this was just coincidental or not.

Anyway managed to drive it for 10 miles or so and it seemed ok.

Next morning same thing, and the same again the day after that.

Thought it was maybe a crank sensor or ignition switch problem so tried replacements. No change. Swapped out all relays. No change. So It's pretty much got me beat.

I went poking around and had the fusebox hanging down and it seemed to run ok. Figured bingo bad connection in the back of the fusebox. Left it another day and tried again. Back to same problem.

Seems to me like something is sending a "kill" message to the ECU. As when it dies it dies almost instantaneously, whether on throttle or not.

Hopefully I'll get it running properly this week sometime. If anyone has any idea then I'm open to suggestion!.

Anyway not to let a car that won't run hold me back I set about swapping the interior for a standard leather one I had on the way for my old Corrado that I was just starting to put back on the road (separate thread to come some day)

Will update thread with pics soon and hopefully more goodies as soon as time and funds allow.

Thanks for reading

Ian

Glad this has stayed within the forum ,gutted for you tho that it's playing up already ,,the joy of vrt and corrados!

Is this running on obd2 now?

Could be immobiliser?

Also mine did the same thing with a duff maf ,started and then cut out straight away ,

Hope you sort it soon,good luck.

Thanks. As far as I'm aware it runs OBD2 with custom C2 Motorsport software and the immobiliser has been deleted.

Going to make it slightly harder to diagnose I think though as it's a custom build.

Probably something simple that I've overlooked.

Looking forward to it though as it was brilliant on the drive home.

Thanks. As far as I'm aware it runs OBD2 with custom C2 Motorsport software and the immobiliser has been deleted.

Going to make it slightly harder to diagnose I think though as it's a custom build.

Probably something simple that I've overlooked.

Looking forward to it though as it was brilliant on the drive home.

Not looking to dampen your high spirit's but I was exactly the same with mine after the drive home and having a play with an Audi R8 then the sensible what's going on kick's in after a couple of issue's and having to end up getting it re mapped. I really hope you get a quick and easy fix to this mate.

Cheers clumpy. I know what these things are like. It's most likely to be a very frustrating car but hopefully always worth it in the long run. I've read all the threads about it on here and all 3 owners seemed to have a love/hate relationship with it. Hopefully i can stick it out for a while yet.

Good luck matey I've Had a couple of issue's with mine I'm not saying it is the case with your car but it seem's issue's/prob's get passed on alot probably alot due to cost and recouping cost's when coming to sell. Way of the world these day's unfortunately.

Nice car. One of my favourite. Have you had the chance to scan it for faults? Maybe a few hundred quid spent with a reputable auto electrician might be well spent to diagnose any current or potential problems.

But as before, lovely car.

Ian, I've got full Vagcom if you need it done. Would be good to see the car again as well.

Not sure on the running issues, never happened with me. I did have an issue once with an inline fuse connection that was under the rear seats driver side. Work checking. That.

Cheers Graeme. I'll see how this week goes and if I'm struggling I'll maybe give the Vag-com a go. I'll def pop past with it soon though either way. I think it's linked to the intermittent problem Gareth had. Will suss it one way or another. Wish it would just not start all together though as it would be much easier to diagnose.

First chance to try and fix it tonight and result!!

A chip (I suspect the C2 motor sports chip) inside the ECU was slightly dislodged. Luckily car wasn't starting at all and not speaking to scanner so we went straight to ECU to check for power and when we moved it things sparked into life. Got it started and could make it cutout just by tapping ECU. Stripped it down and there's a large chip inside but it looks like it's on an adapter plate thing. Tapped it and it seated properly. Seems fine now.

Very happy chappy.

As mentioned before I managed to get hold of a leather interior for it and fitted it last week.

Few before and after pics.

Gareths seats, Nice, and perfect for the ahem thinner gentleman!

554B4600-5515-43FF-A518-6086260481D8.jpg

Standard rears and door cards

D71E7AF2-DC83-4584-B69C-16455DC888B9.jpg24EA2C09-67CF-447B-BDBA-5F22F40A6E10.jpg

New leather all round.

C0E7E0C9-DE99-4072-8942-BF8E7200E2EA.jpg27465E1B-8FA8-41AB-9F03-2A5D26B5371F.jpg

Still using the cloth armrest at the moment as most will know it's a custom job as the battery lives there. Still to decide how to proceed here.

30DEECE1-A708-48D0-9974-A4FD468D36C7.jpg98BB3F32-0CE0-49D2-AC2D-AD126DD84452.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Lots more to come I hope.

Great result Ian, recon it must have been the pot hole I hit back in December that dislodged it. Random how it fixed itself for 7 months but as you said that is Corrados for you.

Looking good with the leather, I was planning the same and was going to remove the leather from an armrest and fit it over the cloth then bond with tigerseal or similar.

Shame the Konigs are a bit snug for you but I am sure someone on here would snap them up.

If it cuts out again, check for a dry joint on the decryptor board that C2 will have soldered onto ECU motherboard. It's the 44 pin chip socket.

If it cuts out again, check for a dry joint on the decryptor board that C2 will have soldered onto ECU motherboard. It's the 44 pin chip socket.

....How do you know these things?! Lol :)

Cheers Kevin. I'll keep that in mind. Chip was definitely not seated properly though so hopefully thats that. At least for the moment.

If it managed to dislodge once then it could easily do it again, might be an idea to tie the chip in, some cotton will do it, just thread it under the chip carrier and over the top of the chip.

Tieing in chips used to be common practice when in a carrier before surface mount components became common place

A small blob of nail varnish on the knot will ensure it doesnt come out again

Remember to ground yourself when opening an ECU just in case of static

Good idea.

Or maybe a pea sized blob of butyl to hold the chip down.

When I had my OBD2 rechipped, I had issues with poor quality chip holders and dry joints. The only time my Corrado broke down in 9 years was because of a dry joint on a rechip!

Unfortunately alot of these tuners have never been taught how to solder properly

I had an APR chip on my Bora that was absolutly awful