eugopnosaj

Wheel poke and arch rolling

So went to fit my new alloys, I say new, ebay 2nd hand and need a refurb but after fitting realised the offset of the rears is too much and the tread sticks past the arch, fronts are ok. Its not by much but enough for a bored cop to pull me over, I'd say 5mm max maybe? (pic attached).

If I got the rears rolled slightly would this be enough to cover them? Ie can they be rolled far enough without damage and does anyone know a company in the Milton Keynes area? I've seen a few further up north and its only around £25/£30 per corner which I didn't think was too bad?

Let me know, thanks!

20141003_075138_zpsqgxtu1mu.jpg

I tried to get the photo so the top of the rim lines up with the bottom, not sure if that is correct?

20141003_075119_zpspvk00owp.jpg

ET is 15, 16inch 9J, not sure what the ET is on my standard speedlines?

Rolling the arch won't help. To make those fit you'll need to pull the arches and I'd be very surprised if that wouldn't also mean a bit of bodywork and paint. Sorry.

Its definitely doable! What size tyres are you currently running? You will need to get the arches rolled though and possibly pulled. The previous owner rolled and pulled mine but it means I can my current wheels of 16x9 et-2 :)

Rolling the arch won't help. To make those fit you'll need to pull the arches and I'd be very surprised if that wouldn't also mean a bit of bodywork and paint. Sorry.

Yeah that's what I thought, I've emailed a couple of companies with some photos to see what they say :(

Can I not get the lip rolled out a bit further? Or would that ruin the lines?

Its definitely doable! What size tyres are you currently running? You will need to get the arches rolled though and possibly pulled. The previous owner rolled and pulled mine but it means I can my current wheels of 16x9 et-2 :)

Tyres on the wider alloys are 225, 16inch, 9J. Was running standard 15inch 205 Speedlines before.

Edited by eugopnosaj

If you get the arches pulled you will lose the flat edge on the arch - mine are completely round. When I had my borbets on (same specs as your wheels, 16x9 et 15) I ran 215/40s which was perfect. I will post some pics up later when I get back from work.

On thise specs id say run a 195 45

Arches will need to be rolled and pulled id say , paint will most likely crack as your pulling them aswell , if you dont roll the lips the tyre will rub the paint of pretty quick and the metal will cut your tyres everytime you hit a big bump as you slam down on the tyres

Its also worth noting that running nines all round can in some cases cause wear on wheel bearings faster than normal

Should have pointed out they're 7.5j at the front and 9j at the rears. The fronts sit neatly within the arch so no issues there.

Wouldn't 195 be a big stretch for a 9 inch wheel, not really knowledgeable over this so don't know? The current gap is about 40mm between the wheel and the arch and the overall wheel diameter isn't any bigger than the Speedlines as they were 50 and the Kerschers are 40 so shouldn't rub any more than normal surely, or is it because the tyre pokes out you mean?

their are various options you have here.

arches rolled and pulled, will most likely crack paint

slender tyres as mentioned above, use http://www.tyrestretch.com/ pick your specs to see the stretch a excellent web site I use all the time

you may even be able to machine off the face of the rear wheel creating different et, but you must calculate the distance from the springs/dampner it may not be possible

Thanks, didn't realise there was a website like that, not sure if 195 looks like too much of a stretch to be safe? I know lots of 'scene' cars use them but that's not interesting to me. 205 or 215 look ok to me

http://www.tyrestretch.com/9.0_215_40_R16/9.0_215_40_R16_Toyo_T1R/

http://www.tyrestretch.com/9.0_215_40_R16/9.0_215_40_R16_Toyo_T1R_4/

That is actually the same alloy as mine; Kerscher Carmona fitted with the 215 on a Golf MK2 and looks alright to me? What do you think? I'd rather fit different wheels than go to the hassle of rolling and pulling the arches. Would be cheaper too.

Is there room under the arch / around the axle to machine a new hub mating surface on the wheel to give less poke?

ill say it.......camber shims?

:lol: knew someone would

Is there room under the arch / around the axle to machine a new hub mating surface on the wheel to give less poke?

Not sure, will have to look when I get home

I had 9j et15 with 215/40 on my 16v the stretch was fine not to much and the tread was under the arch but they still rubbed a bit over large bumps or with people in the back and my arches were half rolled if you get them rolled be very careful as corrado arches are very easy to ripple hope that helps thanks Ross

Also you cant machine The back face of the wheel to make it tuck more because if its anything like mine were it will already be very very close to the trailing arm thanks

I had 9j et15 with 215/40 on my 16v the stretch was fine not to much and the tread was under the arch but they still rubbed a bit over large bumps or with people in the back and my arches were half rolled if you get them rolled be very careful as corrado arches are very easy to ripple hope that helps thanks Ross

Thanks, although I hardly have people in the back, was yours lowered?

Yeh lowered quite alot ill see if i can find a picture when i get home

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

For this to work:

You need 205/45 tyres. 195 will be too much, 215 not enough.

You need to roll, but not necessarily flare the arches.

For this to look good:

You need to be running much lower. Stretched tyres and arch gap just looks ridiculous. Wheel poke and arch gap looks ridiculous. Unless you're prepared to lower the car by another 3cm plus I'd sell the wheels and find something else.

For this to work:

You need 205/45 tyres. 195 will be too much, 215 not enough.

You need to roll, but not necessarily flare the arches.

For this to look good:

You need to be running much lower. Stretched tyres and arch gap just looks ridiculous. Wheel poke and arch gap looks ridiculous. Unless you're prepared to lower the car by another 3cm plus I'd sell the wheels and find something else.

I've got another set of shocks that'll lower the rear much more which i was planning on fitting as they look odd as they are at the moment. I'm happy to do some changes to make them fit as i've been looking for Borbet A's and they're hard to find in 5 x 100 fitment so the Kerschers are as close as I can get so would like to keep the wheels.

If 205/45 is what it'll take then that's what I'll do. I'd rather not flare the arches if I can get away with it but will look at getting them rolled. Thanks.

To fit 17x8 ET20 with 235/45/16 on my race car I'm having custom arches built, not quite as wide as "berg Cup" arches, but not far off it. Depends if you want form over function.

I intend to get moulds made up of the arches so I can produce a GRP arch that would be a direct fit for the Corrado, perfect for situations like this.