Sign in to follow this  
Blair

Lifetime of standard springs?

How long do the standard springs last? I've still got mine on at 102K miles.

I'm just about to do an almost full suspension rebuild but WITHOUT doing the springs (doing the shocks, bump stops & top bearings) as the tail is starting to feel a bit sloppy...!

Are the springs really worth doing at the same time?

And I'm not going to lower it...I've got a good deal on my insurance (£350 fully comp, protected no claims, business use) which depends upon the car remaining standard :)

I wouldnt have thought it would make any difference mate.

You only buy springs to match the damper rates of uprated kit. Standard springs wont 'wear' as such....

If replacing with all new standard kit then they will be fine!!

Cheers

Scott

you dont detail the bushes in the list of replacement parts......this will make a world of difference also.

if they are the origonal itmes they will be soft and flappy......at the very least replace the 6 main ones.

Check that the rear springs extend fully and are not loose when the back wheels are off the ground.

My original(?) rear springs were badly corroded and had lost their elasticity after 85k miles, would not of got through an MOT!

Not sure if they were the original items, but they were standard height and were mounted on the original factory shocks!

Worth checking.

After having worked on numerous Corrado suspensions i will have to differ with the general view as regards the replacement of your springs. Having carried the weight of your Corrado for 12 years and the last 102 K miles i think you will find that they have earnt a rest!! The springs have in my experience an effective life of 70 K miles or 6 years, after this they are on extra time and will require changeing depending upon who gets there first be it the MOT tester or the owner. Supension wear is such a gradual process invariably, that it is often overlooked until such time as it is replaced and the drive is remarkably restored to a new previously unknown standard. If you are restoring the suspension on any Corrado of this age and mileage i would strongly recommend doing the full job including all the bushes, ARB links and rear torsion beam bushes. If you do this you will be the second person in your Corrado's life to enjoy the true handling prerformance of this superb Coupe.

Possibly belated now, but I'm just adding my 2p to what 16VG60 has said. My car was on about 100k when I replaced the shocks/springs. I considered going for sports/shortened matched pairs or even coilovers, but with the state of our roads in the UK, I decided to just replace with standard oem ones. The effect was an immediate improvement in ride quality and handling, and as John rightly says, you get to feel what the car would have been like to drive off the forecourt 8)

DtM.

I'd have to agree with John's view on the springs. They do sag and become fatigued after many years of use. I was fortunate enough to buy my Polol G40 last year off a very anel German Porsche mechanic who had recently replaced all suspention bushes and had brought a brand new set of standerd springs for it from VAG. He showed me a picture of the height difference of the new and old springs, quite eye opening. It is then you come to realise that Corrado's and the cars from this era handle pretty well, even compared to new technology, it is just that many cars have been neglected in tearms of suspention components.

A new set of suspention bushes etc can rejuvinate a car.

beavis,

My C Sits well high and thats on standard springs does that mean there new ones..... :lol: :lol:

Relpacing soon going down 35mm :) As it bonces a bit around the bends at high speeds thinks the shocks are going well its done 130k and no clue of the S&S being changed

I'm going to be replacing my rear disks, pads, bearings, shocks and top spring plates soon. As I'm going to be in there anyway, how many bushes (and where?) are there and any idea how much that lot costs? Which parts are best to get VAG and which ones can I get from GSF without sacraficing performance?

I've already got the disks, pads, bearings, ABS cages, shocks, bump stops and top spring plates. I also have the rear axle bushes that are waiting to go on as/when I can afford the labour.