robrado974

My turn for wet carpets ....again and again

I thought I'd solved this , but after the heavy rain we've had it's wet by the door again . Am I right in thinking if it was the foliage or the sunroof tube the glove box would be wet and the sunroof panel if it was the tube ? . I will have to check the membrane again . It's right on the lip of the carpet where the door shuts and going into the middle . I will get it sorted on Sunday .

Kind regards

Rob

Edited by robrado974

Not too sure about the first two options Rob but would make sure the membrane is sealed properly first. Had leaks twice before and new membrane sorted both of them.

Rob what seal did you use . i did mine and used silicon first and it was a big fail. I got some of this and has done the job spot on, the flexi stuff and can be pulled off and re-stuck its what the manufacture uses when new i believe.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221224948406?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by Ray1965

I used duct tape too , I will have to check it again . I'm sure it's coming through there . If it was foliage it would be around where the passenger feet would be and in the glove box and shelf . If it was the tube the panel would be wet and the seat too . Thanks for the replies gents .

Yeah your first post seems correct Rob. I'd bank on it being the door membranes too. I used Tiger seal on mine which worked well, but tbh its not pretty and I wish I'd used something else. That butyl tape would probably be much better.

its a nightmare Rob, i dont envy you this. I also used the butyl tape but i have made up separate strips to cover the holes in the door rather than one big piece over it.

Put some newspaper around the doorframe in the inner seal, but away from the outside. Close the door from inside so you know that the paper is correctly placed. Use a hosepipe and then examine the paper from the other door. Hopefully you'll be able to identify it from there. If its not leaking from there at least it will eliminate the frame seal as a source.

I've put some neoprene tape around my door frame as it was leaking from the top. Doesn't look nice but its better than a leaking door!

Also, if possible try it with the car pointing both uphill and downhill.

Thanks for the info Hasan , I will do this first , good idea . I was going to pull up the carpet and sprinkle talc on the floor , but your idea will be quicker .

Oh bloody troubles Rob!

You sure it's the membrane leaking? When I had mine, it didn't have any plastic sheet behind the doorcards. It was also dry.

What about leaking door rubbers? Is it in that location? Hope you sort it quick.

Well I can see where it's leaking in . First of all I noticed the tiny rubber seal on the plastic triangle on the exterior was squashed inside the triangle . This was pushing the corner below the wing mirror out . So I sorted that . Then I checked the membrane , there was dribbles of Water coming out of the bottom . So I re sealed it and it still leaks ! . I'm off to purchase some more tomorrow and try again .

How can it be so important to have the plastic membrane on the doors when mine had nothing and the doorcards were always bone dry?

Rob what seal did you use . i did mine and used silicon first and it was a big fail. I got some of this and has done the job spot on, the flexi stuff and can be pulled off and re-stuck its what the manufacture uses when new i believe.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221224948406?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That looks quite close to the proper VW stuff

This is what I'll be using for alot of the sealing on mine, its amazing stuff for sealing and for holding bits in place and stopping squeaks and rattles

VW part number is AKD-497-010-04-R10

DSCF7310_zpsca2a61e0.jpg

Yep thats virtualy the same stuff i use at work and what i used to do mine . I returned to the car on saterday to find a round shaped mist on the passenger side of the windscreen . Sure enough its leaking again !! . I will have a look over the xmas period . I sealed this nice n tight , i cant understand why ive got water coming in again .

I think mines still letting a little bit of water in somewhere,I've not got a screw holding the plastic triangle in supper that don't help

I've got a very wet rear passenger side carpet, but only in the footwell itself. The carpet around the door and seat is dry, as is the front. I can't see how it is getting down there, when everything above is dry... has anyone got any ideas? It is usually parked facing uphill.

Could be the door seal. Water will find the entry point and run over the sill and into the back. Put some newspaper between the door and the seal and also on the inner sill. Close the door on the paper and hose down from the outside. You'll see immediately the exact point of entry.

Thanks for the replies! The Scuttle panel over the foliage cover was out of place so *seems* like an easy fix.. I have replaced it after a clean up. It's amazing how much crap was around the rubber seals. Now to dry it off and see..