Chuggs1

Underseal and Rust proofing

Hi

When I bough the car a few weeks ago - I had a good look underneath (as best I could withought ramp) and all looks solid - what's the thoughts on getting it waxoiled and undersealed?

What's the best products and processes

Does anyone know of a good company not far from Swindon?

Thanks

If you're only doing limited mileage in the car, then the VW standard underseal which should already be in place (and in good condition if the previous owners are anything to go by!) will hold up very well.. it's extremely durable. I'd personally just inspect it annually and buy some rust treatment / VW underseal / paint to touch it up on any areas where it becomes damaged.

Iv been rust proofing the car of late , i used dinitrol to spray in the sills and chassis legs and holes behind the rear bumper , then iv used hammerite waxoil on the other body bits that hide under the bumpers and arches , plus the chassis legs as ther all just covered in factory primer and need protection !

Also the back of the wings iv sealed them with a non setting rubber type stuff that you put in a silicone gun then ill use the waxoil on the backs to fully protect them ( they are rolled arches by the way )

I used Pro15 sealant in the past. You get it in clear and just brush it on. Seems to work well.

Note wear gloves and an old top when putting it on and the only way of getting it off skin is to literally sand it off as I found out.

Not going to be doing a huge mileage as I only work 2.5 miles from home but she will be a daily drive so want to protect her from the elements. don't think I will get chance before the spring but can then get a really good chassis steam clean to get rid of the grime and salt and have a good look at her underneath.

Then decide on the way forward if not to bad will probably just do it myself - but equally may pay out the £2-300 it will cost to have it done by someone who knows what they are dong - found a couple of companies on line not too far away - but cant find any reviews.

I will then do the top (detailing myself) - get her gleaming for the spring!

Starting to build up a little list of niggles - that I want to sort - I am starting to save up now LOL!

Thanks All

Being lazy and not having anywhere to do the work I will probably have to get someone else to do it for me - its probably worth doing just to be on the safe side and keep it looking good.

Once spring comes I don't mind doing minor mechanical and body work

Thanks all for advice

Underseal is a big no no in my book. Best way to devalue a car is to underseal it as it gives the impression it's hiding something. But if you do use something like that then make sure it's all bone dry beforehand as trapping moisture will accelerate corrosion. I'd simply have the underside cleaned regularly and any problem areas treated and sealed.

To be honest that sounds like a good option as I do agree re covering the underside with sealant - just I want to keep the car looking as good as it does now and am getting paranoid Lol! Especially as its out on a road all the time and a daily drive and even more so now as we go into salt on the road time!

So your saying - maybe just get a steam clean after the winter, check over and rust treat cover seal any areas where there is rust?

Yeah basically mate, i'd leave it until the worst of the weathers gone. What i'd do is spray the underside with a strong detergent like Autosmart G101 and then have it steam cleaned but a normal pressure washer would do the job used with the detergent. As for rusty areas you can treat them and cover them with some seam sealer and paint over it or even just touched in with waxoyl. Depends how far you want to go. I have a giant trolley jack and axle stands so can get my cars pretty high to work under. I'll hopefully be going to town on my underside after the winters gone as mine is used most days regardless of weather.

May seem like a daft question, but I'm thinking of getting the UPOL Grey Stripe to do a few spot repairs on my underside. I want it as close a match to the original stuff as possible, and rather than just get the VW stuff that requires an air line and gun, the brushable stuff is much thicker and dries quicker apparently. But............ Is it actually Grey!?

I think that is what the VW stuff is, or is it just the wax on the surface that gives it the grey/beige appearance?

Thanks all!

I think the UPOL grey stripe is a seam sealer that you put between joints / seams of panels and not an underseal.

Dinitrol do one which is supposed to be the same as the VW stuff but not sure if it's grey, I'll have to check the part number.

It's Dinitrol 447 and it says it's grey.

Edited by ChrisL

You can actually paint on the VW stuff no problems - doesn't need to be done with an airgun!

Chris, Jim, thanks gents.

Chris, I think the dinitrol is spray on only though isn't it? I know the grey stripe is seam sealer, but isn't it pretty much the same as the underseal?

Jim, I'll look a bit more into it. I want to be able to feather it into the existing stuff, so thin may be better, but I need it a bit thicker for coverage where any is removed. Good to know its brushable though. I think I'll enquire into how much it is from VW first though! Do you know if its grey/beige or is that the wax on top?

I believe the VW stuff is obsolete now but would certainly like to know if it's still available?

The Dinitrol stuff can be brushed on but you'd need to try and texture it when applying (same as you would with anything). I really wouldn't think the seam sealer would be the same though.

Chris, Jim, thanks gents.

Chris, I think the dinitrol is spray on only though isn't it? I know the grey stripe is seam sealer, but isn't it pretty much the same as the underseal?

Jim, I'll look a bit more into it. I want to be able to feather it into the existing stuff, so thin may be better, but I need it a bit thicker for coverage where any is removed. Good to know its brushable though. I think I'll enquire into how much it is from VW first though! Do you know if its grey/beige or is that the wax on top?

I'm interested to know how you get on as I've got some areas on the underside of mine where the underseal has ripped and is hanging off and I want to treat the rust and get it patched back up again. However I know about the VW stuff as I was helping apply it at a friends house on his Corrado when he had stripped off the rear beam and fuel tank, as he was doing some more in depth body protection. It's a very flat grey colour out of the bottle and is actually a little runny but if you decant it into a jar and let it go off / cure a bit in the air it starts to thicken up and becomes much easier to not only apply but layer up in such a way as to match the OE finish. I believe it's also kind of pricey. I'm really not sure on the availability of it though. I'll have to check ETKA and see if I can find the part number for confirmation but I think it's "D 003 500" - can ring up my local stealers and enquire about availbility tomorrow?

I've just had a little look online Jim, thats the correct original part number but I've read a thread on Club GTI that its been discontinued. Its apparently been superseded by PN# D314 D36 M2 which is grey. A little more digging uncovered that there are also D37 (satin black), and D38 (White) which are all now water based. I'm not sure if grey or white would be best now........

By all means give em a ring tomorrow if you like Jim. Just let us all know how you get on! :thumbleft:

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

I done several areas of my car during the summer with vw underseal and the new stuff is nothing like the original totally different in texture and finish and is expensive. I put it on with an underseal spray gun and was initially disappointed with it but once it was dry it is tough and I now believe it is far superior to the original!. and the dealer confirmed that it is all paintable

How much was the 1L tub then? I'm quite concerned about aesthetics, hence the reason I keep banging on about the colour, so what is it like compared to the original grey/beige?

I'm at the dealership tomorrow so I can ask about price then, but don't want to get it if its nothing like the original stuff as its just for a few (quite a few actually) spot repairs. If its good, I can decant a bit, leave it to thicken up then brush it on. Thats the idea anyway.........

Just rang up the local parts dept.. the old part number is obsolete ("That doesn't look like a VW part number") (sigh) but the replacement part number is available, and is an eye watering £54! Would be tempted to see if it was available from TPS though as it might come down to a slightly more reasonable price.