fla

cigarette lighter supply voltage?

Just replaced the cigarette lighter socket with a usb charging socket (acknowledgement to KipVR) However, the two leads to the socket are a continuous live rather than a switched live. I've also linked the heater panel inverter to this so its constantly on. Could anyone suggest a switched live for both the usb and centre panel lighting? Thanks

Edited by fla

Has the USB got a light or something that will drain power? I would have thought you would just use the existing live to the heater control light for the inverter or did you want the light on constantly?

Yes the led on the usb port is constantly on.

Sorry my post is a bit confusing - these are two separate issues.

I guess teh illumination is easy to solve, like you say i'll connect to the heater panel lighting. I'll put an ammeter between the power and the usb to see the current drain. If its just for the led it'll be mA so not an issue i guess.If its 10s of mA then i'll have to reroute the power source.

^ This is what I use. Runs the satnav and charges the phone when required. Maybe not as neat as having a dedicated one hidden somewhere, but easily removed when not in use.

Its more cosmetic I guess. Kips solution is very flush and looks OEM. I also used a plug in USB before but thought that this would be a good updated alternative.

The switched 12v for the radio shouldn't be far away from the cigarette lighter.

So you can swop the yellow here for the brown to the USB? Thanks

If you delete the cig lighter socket what if you need to use a tyre inflator or similar?

Would the USB sockets fit in a switch blank?

:)

I've got an extension socket wired in, just trying to work out a good location. There's also the voltmeter there which i had wired to the cig socket but will be re-routed to perhaps the glovebox light or other low current switched circuit.

The other reason not to use an adapter is that the socket is quite a loose fit and they keep falling out - at least on my car. Been considering doing this for a while - didn't know it'd been done already! Will have to have a look around.

Stone

When I get around to it I'm going to convert the coin holders in front of the gear lever to USB sockets

Yeah plenty of room. I don't have a diagnostic socket but even if there was, I reckon there'd be space

The other reason not to use an adapter is that the socket is quite a loose fit and they keep falling out - at least on my car. Been considering doing this for a while - didn't know it'd been done already! Will have to have a look around.

Stone

I thought mine was the only one that was like this! Hugely annoying - plugs would fall out all the time!

My holder kept falling out. I drilled a small hole in the bracket bit that sits behind the ashtray and put a small interior screw in it to secure. Can't see the additional screw as that's hidden behind the ashtray case too.

well the additional socket (fitted in the passenger side under dash) will take its power from the feed to the crossover. Will this affect the performance of the audio at all and is this a safe source?

I cant see this one being used much but its there just in case.

Why not take it from the glove box light? Definitely no issues with audio then. But then USB takes such a tiny current that I'm sure only the best ears would pick that out in a Corrado.

Thanks sean. I'll take the power for the voltmeter from there but the charging socket is rated at 2 amps so perhaps the glove box wiring may be undersized for that. What do you think?

2 amps at 12v is pretty much nothing really. That wiring will be fine unless you are running motors or heaters from your USB. I think USB works at 5v as well so even less of a draw.

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

A quick Google comes up with this;

A device may draw a maximum of 5 unit loads (500*mA) from a port in USB 2.0; 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0. As power is equal to current times voltage, all you have to do is multiply*5V*per the current your device is drawing from the port. This is true, however, for the regular USB standard.