Chuggs1

Replacememt roof aerial

Hi All

My roof aerial looks tired so I want to replace it.

Can you take a look the base here on ebay and tell me if this looks like the correct connection im likely to find on a 1995 M Reg VR6 please? It says it is but them said I should check first don't want to pull headlining down until im ready to fit - if anyone here knows - otherwise I guess I will have too lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Beetle-Corrado-Golf-Passat-Polo-Roof-Aerial-Antenna-Base-/360780236977?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item54002d88b1

Seen plenty of masts but not a lot of bases and VAG want £75 quid for one!!!

Thanks

Mines an m reg and looks the same. You might be able to pull the plastic cover off at the rear of the headlining and pull it down to check

VW sold me the screw-in antenna aerial and the rubber gasket separately which was all mine needed. Think it was about £20 in total for the approved parts. I don't have part numbers as it was a year ago. Tip for getting the rubber gasket over the antenna base is plenty of Vaseline! No need to remove headlining this way

I have the same fitting on my 1995 car. I purchased a new base for my aerial from these people and they were excellent. The base they provided was slightly smaller than the original, but this is only noticeable if they are side by side.

It was very easy to install. It was simply a matter of up clipping the plastic trim above the hatch opening and carefully releasing the headlining from the trim above the rear side windows.

Cool sounds like I can go ahead and order one ..if it's smaller... Does it leave a mark on the paint... Suppose I can polish it out though

If it's just the roof gasket that needs replacing. It can be done without removing the aerial or roof lining. Just cut it off. Put the new one in a mug of hot water to make it flexible then squeeze it over the bee sting and fit.

Do you need to put a little greese under the gasket to get a good seal or is the gasket good enough

Do you need to put a little greese under the gasket to get a good seal or is the gasket good enough

Dunno. However I put a small bead of clear bathroom sealant round mine.

You shouldn't need sealant, in addition to the large outer seal there's a smaller one where the thread is before you bolt it on.

Ah great. Thought it possibly would be good enough just thinking cautiously lol. Thanks

Hi - OK don't want to break anything...... so how do I get to the roof aerial? Had a quick look and there is a strip of plastic trim - how is this held on and how do I get it off so I can get to the headlining to pull down to get to the aerial? - do the side pieces have to come off first? Are there some hidden screws - any photos of this being done as im sure I don't just pull it! Lol!

Also - its too cold to be outside - roll on spring!

Thanks

Just pull it down carefully. Its held on by about 12 push clips but they pull out if you're careful. Theres enough flex in it to bend from the middle, and pull each end out from the side trims without damaging it.

Is it best done when it's warmer.... Just concerned that plastic gets brittle when cold.

Anyone know where to get the gasket from ? (Local dealer could not find it in their systems....:( ) - Pnly seal needed for mine I think.

I bought one off ebay... Well actually I bought a couple, first one was a little out of shape so got sent another

I bought one off ebay... Well actually I bought a couple, first one was a little out of shape so got sent another

Happen to know if this "kit" (vw part number):

3B0051751

is compatible - as this one refer to it: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-BORA-VENTO-LUPO-POLO-CORRADO-Roof-Aerial-Antenna-Gasket-Seal-Nut-REPAIR-KIT-/291308063177?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43d35049c9

Seem to be same used on several newer models - and thought I'd check with VW if they still have these in store.....