Sean_Jaymo

Dash cams and insurance?

I've just renewed my insurance and a thread I saw on another forum got me thinking, how far away are mainstream insurance companies from offering discounts on their premiums by having one of these installed?

They are getting cheaper and cheaper and the quality is ever increasing including night time recording. One of the cameras I've seen is the Mini 0806 (google it!) which can be had for around the £100 mark. No doubt that there are better or alternative options on the market.

The youtube quality seems to make details like number plates a bit blurry but I'm sure that native quality and for use in general viewing would provide 99% of the information needed by somebody who maybe was investigating an accident or incident.

What do people think? Would a discount in policy cost sway you into buying one or would you buy one anyway for a bit of self preservation in the future? Or would you simply not want to incriminate your own driving?! Would having widespread deployment of these cameras change peoples attitudes knowing that they are being watched?

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

If there was a substantial price adjustment for having one fitted, I'd give it serious consideration.. however knowing insurers, premiums only really go one way!

I have certainly been considering one for a fair while now to use as ammunition if needed in an insurance claim!

Difficult to say whether I would or not. I've certainly been considering getting one, but as far as insurance goes, it would probably be GPS tracked and speeds logged, so if you were travelling just a couple of mph over the limit (which I never do, honestly guv!) then you can guarantee you'd get bummed even if you weren't to blame, and they would refuse to pay out, and leave you to answer for voiding your insurance and be prosecuted for it!

Ok, So Insurance aside, would you get one for peace of mind? I'd assume if you had one and it wasn't for insurance purposes, the police would still seize it in the event of a serious accident in the same way in which they seize mobile phones.

Yeah ^^ If you had one supplied for the purposes of Insurance Premium reduction they'd definitely find a get out by either tracking you or reviewing driving footage outside of the accident itself.

Personally I've been looking at getting one for personal protection. I use the gopro a lot now but that only has a limited battery life. When I had my motorbike I'd never leave home without a camera purely for my protection in the event of an accident.

Yeah I'd definitely get one. I don't think many log your speed though so I'd get one of those. Don't get me wrong, I don't drive like a complete dikc, and if I did and the police seized it in the event of an accident, I'd accept I'd be bang to rights.

I just refuse to allow these bottom feeders of insurance companies to do everything in their power to see you off, as well as to dictate their own premiums however it suits them.

I have one on corrado. Miwitness front and rear cameras with a parking mode as well.

Meant to be a 10% discount with it fitted. I told hic but not sure if i got a discount or not. Tbh i got it because of all the idiots i meet down the back roads on my way to work.

It's an interesting one. For example, what's to stop a driver producing the footage when the accident is a non-fault but claiming "it wasn't recording/switched on/didn't capture anything useful/has been recorded over" after a clear fault accident? The benefit to the insurer is that it might help your claim against a third party but not that it necessarily helps them if a third party is claiming from you. Two different sides of the same coin that mean a discount might not become mainstream.

None of the insurers we use have yet offered a discount for having one fitted.

I have one in my truck , it's my own I paid 40 quid with the memory chip . It's bang on , it's the the point of insurances going down , I got one as there is that many dick head drivers out there I had a bloke go into the side of me two weeks ago , he was 86 a bit senile , honestly should not of been on the road . All captured on camera his son rung me after the knock shouting ranting etc etc , I emailed him the footage , haven't heard from him since as he knows his dad was in the wrong . I will be getting one in the wife's raddo , as well she's a woman and can't drive for toffee !! Lol awaits the abuse

I've been on about getting one for ages and I end up going a bit mad when researching stuff so I decided to go for a Road Hawk HD camera and to be honest it's great with an amazing picture quality. I also brought the hard wired kit for it so there's no messing plugging it in all the time.

It was only about 6 months after buying it that while sitting stationary in traffic I was run into from behind of which the guy who hit me tried to make out I'd rolled back into him!!! Yeah right... I let him tell his little story then showed him the camera in the front of my car, funnily enough he went all quiet give me his details and drove off.

Now you might say "well he run into you while stationery so it's his fault" but as we all know it's who's got the proof and knowing the luck I have the insurance would have portioned the blame 50/50 meaning a hit on my insurance so having this camera has already paid for itself.

I hear what many of you are saying about if your slightly over the speed limit etc on cameras that record speed and location just as my Road Hawk does but when you down load it to send it etc you can pick what information you want to include or not as the case might be and as there's no legal requirement or standard that footage has to have its not a problem.

I'm my case I gave the insurance everything as it showed my exact location via GPS, my speed which was 0 and of course the footage. Got him bang to rights.

Got a transcend pro dashcam in my daily passat. Great product and totally agree with the above. Too many lying scumbags about to risk it

Got the Transcend as well and had it for 3 years now. My son has the new transcend in his car for his peace of mind being a new driver.

Only £80 ish and tops the Auto Express cam test.

I have one in my Corrado, but only because it was cheap. £20 off amazon. I wouldn't pay much more for one. Hard wired it into an ignition feed behind the dash so it records automatically. Supposed to be 1080p but it performs better at 720p. Youtube kind of butchers the quality somewhat and the audio is now out of sync, but it is much better hooked up to the tv or laptop with an HDMI. Car number plates are clear.