KeVR

Getting to know my BB VR

New thread to document the ups and downs with my 1st VR.

I had been after a BB VR for sometime and when I seen a member on here advertising that he wanted to swap one for a 4x4 via facebook, I offered him my Discovery in a deal, no doubt I could have sold the TD5 and bought a VR but this took all the hassle of timewasters out the frame:

received_10153640545227678_zpsy2tajaji.jpeg

A little background on me:

Name is Kev Reilly and I'm located in sunny Gateshead Tyne and Wear, I have a real soft spot for everything that is VW (though not keen on the new generation).

Few of my more recent dubs:

42k Clipper

cabbyst.jpg

Oak Green 20v Royal Blue 16v

9e51c8dc-64fd-4726-8380-868d85f1c4ed_zpsfe253b68.jpg

Tornado 16v and mega low mileage auto destined for 20v but sold to fund VR resto.

gti16v_zps463dba88.jpg

20131123_152056_zpsddb12fd5.jpg

20150208_120552_zpsz4v9yupg.jpg

So my current crop as it stands:

The daily

20150307_112825_zps0ik4mcea.jpg

VR

2015-03-30 11.55.16_zpsmgh1aupv.jpg

So that's me, I've already been fortunate to have met a couple members in person who have helped me out no end, regardless if it's been for a part or to rack their brains.

Every post here on in will be to document my experience of VR ownership.

The C I ended up with had very little in the way of documented history (in fact it had none) the car was a raffle prize at Ed38:

On Display at Ed38:

e39543c49f4c739f571a6a6d32507e2c_zpsbebe8046.jpg

SamC the lucky winner pictured with the car:

e7740ad221be114c19dff3ec688c19e2_zpsa2a5bfe0.jpg

He didn't have it long before someone decided to nock the shine off his new car (literally):

f76bdaedfca9ce0893c27b0d1dde4df3_zpsec485115.jpg

1ca89e4a9f1c2fd57463985d4c32fe92_zps2ce14021.jpg

80a255e6962fb9c87cf14d842802307b_zps134d8ba1.jpg

I don't know if it was jealousy or if it was personal but someone seen fit to drown the car in Nitromours, all I can assume is that Sam sold it not long after.

The VR was purchased by a member on here though he never really progressed to fixing the issues it had and basically I acquired it in much the same state as Sam sold it albeit a few more miles.

So after taking ownership of the car it was pretty apparent that it had been driven and pretty much un cherished, the heater didn't function due to a trapped cable resulting in a damaged control panel, the paint is in a bad way which is a real shame as it was painted by Stylehause for ed38 and he done a fantastic job.

The Recaro trim was minging at best, headlight surrounds damaged by an eye brow spoiler being glued to them, grill badly painted gloss black, wing mirrors not working, old ICE inop, same for the bonnet release, various trim bits broken or missing and engine bay in dire need of renovation, basically just unloved.

The question my mates and wife have asked is "Why did you buy it"

The answer was simple..... I love it and it has the makings to be a sound example, the body shell is pretty sorted and straight and it has a strong engine.. What more does a man need.

20150303_170353_zps5m9i5zto.jpg

20150306_162258_zps7ivxpqah.jpg

Credit to Chris on here for hooking me up with a heater box...

I managed to strip two control panels and make 1 good one... Happy days.

Nice collection of wheels u had Kev :thumb right:

And still have a nice set ref Corrado :clap:

Read your previous thread ref finding history of your Corrado but without much luck :(

Shame really how a really nice almost mint car from the raffle days has come to this :( :( :(

But at least sounds like the car is in very good hands now :)

Cant wait to see your restoration and turn the car back to its former glory :clap:

Nice collection of wheels u had Kev :thumb right:

And still have a nice set ref Corrado :clap:

Read your previous thread ref finding history of your Corrado but without much luck :(

Shame really how a really nice almost mint car from the raffle days has come to this :( :( :(

But at least sounds like the car is in very good hands now :)

Cant wait to see your restoration and turn the car back to its former glory :clap:

This year I'm just gonna harvest all the parts I need and tidy her up so I can actually enjoy VR ownership.

I've managed to source quite a lot from some great lads, but there are far too many people banging stupid amounts of scene tax on parts more so the later cars.

Had one breaker ask for £50 for the 2 little screw covers on the instrument binnacle, anything over £15 and I can live with seeing the screws for now lol for a laugh I asked how much a wing was... Cringed when he brought out a green late wing and said £160 with straight face, his comment was "had this ages so minimal rust" guess he will have it a while yet lol

Gonna keep my eyes peeled for a cheap donor to break and just store the spares on a shelf to save the hassle and anger speaking to fools like him trying to rob us enthusiasts blind.

Dash back in, new instrument surround, centre dash surround, heater control panel, New stereo, Glovebox hinge cover, drivers kick plate panel and pedal rubbers, Momo ones binned (need accelerator rubber),

Carbon Italvolanti gear knob binned in favour of a standard one.

280mm Momo to go once I decide what will replace it.

20150403_112104_zpsp8jlml0d.jpg

20150403_112047_zpsdwpbyog2.jpg

20150403_112040_zpskdldqnse.jpg

20150403_112112_zpsdpmasg5e.jpg

Bonnet release modified so I'm no longer worrying about a broken clip:

20150330_120834_zps2uy7bxws.jpg

20150330_120811_zpspcu4hpxx.jpg

Recaros Steam cleaned to remove Stains and white mould residue.

20150403_112124_zpsyv2kqw1u.jpg

Moving on to exterior:

New number plate plinth as original was damaged by nitromours, new wiper motor cover, headlight covers, nos grille with black badge, and de tangoed indicators:

20150403_112406_zpsf19x6qci.jpg

Don't think I'm keen on the covers but we'll see although the front end looks better than it did:

c902ec12aa35dbc8908dc4258183139c_zpseabad58f.jpg

20150403_112423_zpstsidnljr.jpg

I've got the bits to replace this unsightly catch can, don't understand the benefit of it being there:

20150403_112352_zpsxsv4gozl.jpg

Couple bits I'm yet to fit:

cb5770da265d32dfc980376cf7323c50_zpseatopiii.jpg

17" BBS RX-504 Splits just had them refurbed in ivory ready to polish the lips.

20150308_205922_zpsciyus43q.jpg

Figured I might need a starter motor but not too worried at the minute.

Dash back in, new instrument surround, centre dash surround, heater control panel, New stereo, Glovebox hinge cover, drivers kick plate panel and pedal rubbers, Momo ones binned (need accelerator rubber)

The accelerator pedal never had a rubber as standard, however a MK1 Golf one will fit. If you do end up replacing the Starter Motor, a V5 MK4 Golf one is worth fitting instead.

Ian.

The gear knob doesn't look correct, should be leather......

Just the camera, it is leather. I think the the VR one should have had silver gear decal though, this one is off my old sportline cabby.

20150404_155457_zpseo0lcl4d.jpg

Dropped it off down the unit, thinking off pulling the engine out to repair battery tray area and paint the bay so I can drop the bonnet and forget about it, also need to swap the suspension for Eibach whilst sending the Konis off for rebuild.

Loads of stuff to do but don't want to go too deep into it until winter, need to enjoy my purchase over the summer months.

Toying on 10" rears and 9" fronts but may be sometime away yet.

Nice!

I enquired about this when I saw it advertised on swapz. The seller got back to me, and then ignored me for weeks as if they had changed their mind. Then finally after me pestering them, they replied to say it was sold. How very strange.

Good to see your returning it to former glory - I was at the show and pretty sure I had a ticket for the raffle. It looked immaculate then, which was part of the reason I wanted to buy it!

I contacted Alan (member on here) as soon as he posted the ad looking for a deal on a 4x4, but he had forgotten about the MOT running out, hence the delay in the deal.

It also took a little while to organise a date that best suited the pair of us so we could be happy that both vehicles were what we wanted.

I think he just played it safe in case a deal fell through.

He had priced the car quite well considering the interior etc, the paint was damaged and the new MOT, isn't "should way say" above board (checked VOSA site) failed on a couple things and a failure sheet was issued though the car came with a full test issued two hours later with no advisories and none of the failure work completed lol.

Not fussed though as I just wanted the deal done as it was dragging on and I was having second thoughts... As was he.

Hence why it's in the shop now having rear wheel bearings, brake pipes and lower front balljoints.. Not to mention the battery tray and front passenger jacking point replaced.

I contacted Alan (member on here) as soon as he posted the ad looking for a deal on a 4x4, but he had forgotten about the MOT running out, hence the delay in the deal.

It also took a little while to organise a date that best suited the pair of us so we could be happy that both vehicles were what we wanted.

I think he just played it safe in case a deal fell through.

He had priced the car quite well considering the interior etc, the paint was damaged and the new MOT, isn't "should way say" above board (checked VOSA site) failed on a couple things and a failure sheet was issued though the car came with a full test issued two hours later with no advisories and none of the failure work completed lol.

Not fussed though as I just wanted the deal done as it was dragging on and I was having second thoughts... As was he.

Hence why it's in the shop now having rear wheel bearings, brake pipes and lower front balljoints.. Not to mention the battery tray and front passenger jacking point replaced.

Ahh, thats probably why then. If you got a good deal, crack on with it. I'd have thought the Recaro's alone are worth close to £1000, which is one of the reasons I was interested (plus the colour)

Good luck with it. I'll keep an eye on this thread for progress :)

Bonus.... Goodridge braided hoses all round, EBC green stuff pads and grooved discs:

20150406_152524_zpsmnnjxm1y.jpg

Stripped front end off today in preparation for engine removal and engine bay paint, bit the bullet and sorned it today for the next 16 weeks or so... Gonna replace all brake lines, get some stuff powder coated whilst it's solid, cut out any corrosion (though it seems there is very little) and finally paint it for summer..

Enjoying getting my hands dirty on this little beaut.

20150406_161004_zpssknqu0pd.jpg

Back down tomorrow to get the engine out, all going well.

Sorry about the constant update but kinda keeps me motivated if that makes sense..

Few more hours put in today, drive shafts to loosen tomorrow then out it comes...

20150407_214620_zpsirdwnmog.jpg

20150407_214652_zpsobaq5al0.jpg

Inner wings look fantastic though the N/S does need a little fettling under the seam sealer (was well hidden but I really don't want to miss any.

Looks like a solid car mate. Will be watching this thread as it looks like you are going for it :)

It's out, now to start moving the wiring out the way, brake lines to replace, all the running gear (subframe etc.) to go and get blasted and powder coated.

20150408_165237_zpshgttk8g8.jpg

How much old Waxoyl.... Heat gun, solvent cleaner and a cloth is making light work of it:

20150408_165218_zpsxpsp2mjy.jpg

Looking very sorry for itself:

20150408_165204_zpscjhzsq1a.jpg

Wrapped up for tonight:

20150408_170414_zpsoxg2pamj.jpg

To do:

Front:

Everything that can be removed to be sent to powder coaters

Battery tray requires work

Small hole in inner wing behind washer bottle.

New bushes all round (not keen on poly as I hated the ride in my mk2)

Lower Ball joints

Track rod ends

Bearings

Drop links.

Brake lines

Paint the engine bay and refit everything.

Engine:

Providing on funds I'll either give it a good service incl. chain and tensioners, head rebuild, gaskets and oil seals..

If I have extra cash then it might be new cams and an engine build, though I really want to have it back on the road for June.

Best bet might be to paint this one up after refreshing it and putting it back in and finding a spare to have rebuilt ready for its winter hibernation.

Rear will get the beam out and powder coated, brakes sorted, hubs rebuilt and just tidied up.

I do plan to paint it in May so should all be quite fresh for June.

Even had the missus mucking in yesterday Chris, the car is slowly winning a place in my heart just gonna have to remortgage to finish it lol..

Seriously if it wasn't for blokes like yourself breaking these little motors then rebuilding the good ones just wouldn't be possible bud.