TanVr6

Advice needed to stop shredding my rear tyres

Don't think the stretch is the issue. I'm running 17x8's with a 205 tyre and it's completely fine even though it's a fair bit of stretch. It's the cutting done by the arch. One particularly big bump and it'll cut through.

If you're worried about getting the arches pulled or rolled, you can always get a decent bodyshop to cut off the excess lip and reseal the arch. That's what I've got on mine. I'll get a pic for you later if I get chance.

Exactly, not that I think that stretching is particularly safe having spent 2 weeks of my life studying tyre construction, but you would be amazed how quickly the tyre would be cut through with a big bump on a dual carriageway.

Exactly, not that I think that stretching is particularly safe having spent 2 weeks of my life studying tyre construction, but you would be amazed how quickly the tyre would be cut through with a big bump on a dual carriageway.

Completely agree. I'm in no way advocating loads of stretch, I'm happy with mine as a compromise for the looks.

But looking at the OP's pics in the first post, and thinking about this further, the cutting is occurring on the edge of the actual tread rather than the sidewall. Reducing the tyre to a 205 section is going to move that cutting into the sidewall itself and he's going to an even worse (read dangerous) effect.

I'm going to say the only option is to change the wheels for something with less poke or sort the arches.

Update:

After visiting a few tyre places.

They have suggested rolling the arches 1st as cheapest option.

One option is better suspension with adjustable damper.(a reason to upgrade to KW or H&R)

Last option go back to original dishes and repair and polish?

Update:

After visiting a few tyre places.

They have suggested rolling the arches 1st as cheapest option.

One option is better suspension with adjustable damper.(a reason to upgrade to KW or H&R)

Last option go back to original dishes and repair and polish?

Just be careful

My previous owner tried to roll the arches .....what a mess :eek: :shocked!:

Yea Wayne yours look like they have been done with a bat

Tan just make sure whoever rolls the arches removes the stone chip and sealer from behind the lip , that will let the arches sit back flat properly

I don't think harder suspension is really an option plus you don't want an uncomfy ride or you might stop enjoying it as much as you do

I'd seriously look in to milling the disk mounting face on the rear , that will be one of your cheapest options and won't effect your car body / arches , it's been done before on other builds if read and I bet a local machine shop would only charge 20 quid or so to do it

Only other thing to do is bang some stretch on , as much as people debate on it and personally I'm not a fan it will work and you never really hear much about people having disasters with it

One more thing would be to try some camber shims on the rear that would probs do it aswell

What's the width of the wheels?

I'm currently running 205/40s on 9s et-2, I'm pretty low too, so I am sure you can make it work :

image.jpg1_zpsokk6vpok.jpg

Edit: it doesn't scrub either!

Whoever said flaring the rear arches was the easiest option obviously hasn't done Corrado arches before. The rear arches are pigs to roll as they are double skinned, it takes a fair bit of work and I'd be amazed if you didn't need paint work done after it.

Something doesn't seem quite right, I don't think ET33 on a 17x7.5 should stick out that much. I ran 16x7.5 ET 35 with 10mm spacers and the wheel was well within the arch. I now run 17x8 ET20 with 20mm spacers, so 0 offset and my wheels are about as far out as yours.

Are you sure there's no rear axle spacers being used?

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed it's a 5-stud, my offset comments are only really applicable to 4 stud.

Edited by HummuH

I'll go for rollin the arches first.

Anyone recommend a place in the West Midlands?

I have been searching and heard a few good opinions about archenemy.

Anyone experienced them?

Are you sure those rear wheels are legal thought they had to be flush with bodywork like fronts.

The tread of the tyre has to be under the arch (which it is, just) the wheel can then protrude from the arch by a maximum of 30mm (I think). I havent had any issues with the police though.

the wheels have obviously widened, if they were the original size assuming rs301 they would be 7.5x17 et33. This size is tried and tested on the vr6. If your shell is good i would not touch the arches and would suggest narrower dishes with 205/40/17 tyres.

the wheels have obviously widened, if they were the original size assuming rs301 they would be 7.5x17 et33. This size is tried and tested on the vr6. If your shell is good i would not touch the arches and would suggest narrower dishes with 205/40/17 tyres.

Hi Tan.I agree with Zak, I dont know how much wider your new rear dishes are but starting with ET 33 on a 7.5 the tyre size 205/40 fit perfect with no issues, to work out et divide by 2 any additional mm in width and subtract that number from 33. Thats academic though as with the new wider dishes you are catching the arches, cheapest option is refit 205/40s and see how you get on, or replace stock 0.5 dish?

Gareth

Are stock dishes available and does anyone know where from?

I am in the process of getting the stock dishes repaired? Hopefully they can, as it was a small knock from a large pothole! (&£@?!!:')

Thanks Zak!!!

Just popping to A1 wheels with the original lips, see if they can repair them

They said the original lip can be repaired but ideally needs to be on the rest of the rim for the machine to do the repair with a better success rate!

5d55ec290153887ec052ae37e34c9c71.jpg

b1750aacfb6a35b100fdaecf5228bee6.jpg

Great stuff tanvr6. Did he also do rhe front of the rear arches, the bit down at the bottom?

I don't think he did, I wasn't there at the time.

My brother was over seeing the job.

I will be taking her to the meet at Stanford hall.

Get some expert opinions from more experienced and knowledgeable owners!

Can't wait! Will be detailing her from tomorrow till Sunday morning!