j_s14a

Some advice about selling my 1995 Blackberry VR6

Hey guys, will be selling my Corrado soon, and just want a few pointers :)

To start with, the spec:

1995 manual VR6 in Blackberry pearl

102k miles

huge folder full of service history

I *think* i'm the 4th owner

Rare full black leather Recaro heated electric interior in great condition

full outer respray in factory colour last year, looks amazing

Everything works. Sunroof, spoiler, mirrors, seats (inc heaters)

headlights, fogs, indicators all unmarked and uncracked

Stock speedline wheels refurbished 6 months ago. Perfect condition.

Toyo Proxes 4 tyres all round with loads of life left.

will have brand new underseal next week

only modifications are coilovers and a Milltek exhaust and 6 branch manifold. Stock suspension included.

Shell is excellent. I fitted the interior myself, and had the carpets etc out. all inner wings, floors etc are perfect.

had a new windscreen with the last owner, completely unmarked.

MOT until late October. It had no advisories last time, and has covered 30 miles since! Just brought it out today, and she drives perfectly.

it has wanted for nothing, and I must have spent in excess of £3k and countless hours on it since I bought it 18 months ago. Only selling due to loosing my storage space, and it would be criminal to keep her outside.

The only fault, and i'm being pedantic here, it the roof gutter rubbers. I have refurbished them to the best of my ability, and they look okay, but some brand new ones would just finish the exterior. These are no longer available.

smaller_zpsf370kgju.jpg

DSC_0854_zps84f7c8e6.jpg

So, what I'm wanting advice on:

Is £8k a fair *starting* price?

In addition to here, what sites should I be advertising her on? Definitely here, Car and Classic seems good, and maybe Pistonheads. Any other forums I should also try?

Is it worth returning her to 100% stock? I had intended to fit a stock exhaust, but the sound is intoxicating. not particularly loud.

Any other advice?

Edited by j_s14a

Looks lovely... I'm waiting for the how much ! It's worth what peeps want to pay.. It's about time these cars go for a decent price. Try and test the market.

Does that hand brake need adjusting :)

Edited by delfinis38

It is a nice car with some nice extra's, but I think 8k is a bit ambitious,.

You say you bought it 18months ago and have spent £3k, what do the two amounts add up to?

I'd think £6.5 as a starter would be a reasonable ask

Good luck with the sale. In my view it has got to be worth every penny. Unfortunately there is hardly any evidence of sales at this level simply because hardly any come to the market. As delfinis38 says try the market. Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.

very nice looking car, lovely interior and a good colour IMO. I'd set the price fairly high and hang on to it until you get a very strong offer, 8k seems a lot but there are fewer and fewer good ones around now and for comparison a concours car would be several grand more I think.

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

I think I must have about £6500 in the car in total, always prioritizing the finish over the budget. For example, it needed some paintwork doing last year to address some scratches etc on the wings and doors, and to rectify some poor previous paintwork. So that the panels would all match, instead of spending £600 one the essential work, I paid £1500 for a full exterior respray. And I only got it for that price because I stripped the trim down, removed the interior etc for the paintjob! :D

In addition to the exterior respray, I also had the rear bumper done AGAIN for £250 as I managed to scratch the back of it reversing it into the garage! And the radiator scuttle panel as it was looking a bit tired.

I should probably stop adding up the money I've put into it, as it will probably far exceed the £3k previously stated! :D

If it was me i would hang on for what you want for it . The good ones are worth it , in my opinion .

very nice looking car, lovely interior and a good colour IMO. I'd set the price fairly high and hang on to it until you get a very strong offer, 8k seems a lot but there are fewer and fewer good ones around now and for comparison a concours car would be several grand more I think.

Thanks David. I wouldn't describe it as concourse, but I would say it is very good. It isn't a museum piece, and although I keep it in very good condition, like all my cars I bought it to drive. :)

She is also the best colour, with the best interior available IMO, which have to be strong selling points. Plus, how many Corrados have working sunroofs?! :D I've spent circa £300 on getting that working! :D

Edited by j_s14a

If your confident with the car and think its worth 8.5k then bang it on sale and see if it sells.... in my honest opinion corrado prices are soft again now so not many even selling for half that....paid £1650 for my red one with factory recaros.

I'd agree with C5OEM...

£8k however seems overly ambitious.

I think £5-6k is more realistic however even then I think you maybe left waiting a while.

If you want top dollar for it put it on the CCGB stand at the NEC in November

Yeah, I said £8k as a starting price as I know it is very top of the market, and would allow for some haggling. In my experience, it doesn't matter whether you price your car top end or bottom end, the buyer always tries to negotiate.

I don't think I would accept any less than £6.5k for her, if I wasn't getting a sale for that I think I would look at storing her elsewhere, and just bring her out during summer every couple of years or so.

Yeah, I said £8k as a starting price as I know it is very top of the market, and would allow for some haggling. In my experience, it doesn't matter whether you price your car top end or bottom end, the buyer always tries to negotiate.

I don't think I would accept any less than £6.5k for her, if I wasn't getting a sale for that I think I would look at storing her elsewhere, and just bring her out during summer every couple of years or so.

You tried selling this last year on edition...?

I think I did a half hearted gauging interest thread at some point last year. But loosing my secure, free of charge storage has kind of forced my hand :D

Interesting My VR is very closely matched to yours in lots of ways 100,000 4 owner and very very tidy with full history and electrics working , BlackBerry and full factory leather. Mines stock however. It was priced at £4300 two years ago when I bought it I paid £3,800 which I thought then was top of the market at this time it was on about 84000 miles. It was the only Corrado I looked at so I don't know condition average C,s are in in the less than 3k bracket ? I think prices have fallen away slightly lately so wouldn't know where to place a value on it or yours. Even the conservative £6500 someone's quoted seems a bit high to me . But I,m far from an expert on C,s but a sorted example with non of the niggles you would expect would carry a premium over whatever else is for sale in The Corrado world at the moment.

Interesting My VR is very closely matched to yours in lots of ways 100,000 4 owner and very very tidy with full history and electrics working , BlackBerry and full factory leather. Mines stock however. It was priced at £4300 two years ago when I bought it I paid £3,800 which I thought then was top of the market at this time it was on about 84000 miles. It was the only Corrado I looked at so I don't know condition average C,s are in in the less than 3k bracket ? I think prices have fallen away slightly lately so wouldn't know where to place a value on it or yours. Even the conservative £6500 someone's quoted seems a bit high to me . But I,m far from an expert on C,s but a sorted example with non of the niggles you would expect would carry a premium over whatever else is for sale in The Corrado world at the moment.

Sounds like a nice car :)

It's really hard to gauge prices at the moment, as there are so few VR6s for sale. There are a couple on Pistonheads for £4k, the lowest mileage of those is 136k. Neither are blackberry, and neither have black leather Recaros (which are much nicer and rarer seats than the stock leather ones)

I've never known so few be for sale at any one time. I am confident mine will be the best on the market when I put an advert up in a couple of weeks, but I guess it is all down to who is in the market for one at the time. :)

A high quality advert, with a link to the Top Gear segment on the VR6 as a future classic will surely help though :)

The fact they are thin on the ground will surely help and colour and interior as you say are the most desirable but then I would think that

If you can afford to keep the car in storage, I'd go this route. Shame to get rid of a nice car. It's not like a Ford Focus that you could buy another tomorrow. And you have put a lot of time into it. But I guess there other reasons behind the decision.

Edited by delfinis38

If you want top dollar for it put it on the CCGB stand at the NEC in November

No stand for us at the NEC this year I'm afriad, our request was turned doewn along with a few other clubs.

Ian.

Only this morning on my drive in to work was I wondering what a VR6 would be like to drive, then I log on here and wow, she's lovely.

I've no idea of worth, but if anyone fancied a sorted 2.0 then I'd be interested and much to the disgust of others would run it as a daily as Corrado's are too much fun to lock away until show days.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-CORRADO-VR6-FULL-SERVICE-HISTORY-SUNROOF-IMMACULATE-/331604853447?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d353082c7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1994-VW-VOLKSWAGEN-CORRADO-VR6-/291515153501?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43dfa83c5d

Just as an example these two are both complete useable vr6`s one with a grands worth of recaro trim and look at the prices...not as a comparison but gauges the market i think......

I think £8 k is reasonable for the car - look what you are getting at £4k to £5k - this Is far better than most and has a fairly low mileage - give it a go - if someone want a good one they will pay. And as said earlier we need to stop undervaluing the cars as we ourselves drive the price down

Those two on e-bay the first seems a good car but highish mileage probably a little cheap . The second in the description it says little rust! I wouldn't touch a Corrado with rust ! I think sometimes what hits values with these cars is when they are second cars / weekend toys / projects and someone wants a quick cash injection they price them to sell quickly . I do think they are undervalued but the market is at where's it at . I wasn't looking for the cheapest I was looking for the best there will be guys out there with same mindset

I think £8 k is reasonable for the car - look what you are getting at £4k to £5k - this Is far better than most and has a fairly low mileage - give it a go - if someone want a good one they will pay. And as said earlier we need to stop undervaluing the cars as we ourselves drive the price down

I try and follow the values of our German counterparts. If this was lhd it would make 8k in Germany.