Roger Chatfield

Talk to me about speakers

Afternoon all,

So Stormy currently has 9x6 Vibe Slick speakers set into the parcel shelf, they are 420 watts peak and 140 watts RMS and tbh sound pretty good to my deaf old ears.

Now, I've got a nice mint uncut shelf in the garage gathering dust and I'd like to fit it. I won't cut and instead will use the stock 6x4's but currently they are the 18 year Nokia speakers so I think I could do with an upgrade.

I don't want to spend too much but I also want something decent.

I've seen these online. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kicker-40CS464-6-x4-Car-Speakers-2-way-150w-1-Pair-/171506048963?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27ee8e9fc3

Would they be suitable? My head unit is 20w per channel.

Opinions please.

Rog.

Yes mate, I ended up getting some that one of the lads on the CRX forum recommended.

They were quite cheap but I'm chuffed to bits with them.

Can't remember the brand but I can dig out the info if you want.

Rog.

if you could mate that would be great, save me starting a new thread, just in your own time, we're they just a pair of tweeters or did it come in a kit with door bass loudspeakers aswel?

Oh, maybe not what you are looking for mate.

All I did was replace the 6x4's in the back as I didn't want the 6x9's that were in the parcel shelf, I managed to get a new shelf and didn't want to cut holes in it.

I havnt changed any of the other speakers.

Rog.

Alpine 6x4 in rear, straight swap, just crimp new connectors on. Kappa infinity 52.9i, 5.25 inch bit of dremel, comes with screw thing for connecting, remove front tweeters and join wires up. Pioneer deh80prs head unit connects to iphone 6 by Bluetooth plays album playlist and hands free. Sounds fantastic compared to old stuff. The head unit is easy to fit in the end, I made a meal of it, as per. Plugs straight in to the old standard vw stereo blocks. Just swapped the 2 wires for constant and ignition live at the head unit on the connectors that came with it, simple once you know. And put a little sub in the boot to help the bass. The best value for money £500 the cars had spent on it.

Both rears on mine finally gave up the other day, completely fell to bits so on the lookout for some more. Think I might save the extra pennies and try upgrade the lot

Alpine 6x4 in rear, straight swap, just crimp new connectors on. Kappa infinity 52.9i, 5.25 inch bit of dremel, comes with screw thing for connecting, remove front tweeters and join wires up. Pioneer deh80prs head unit connects to iphone 6 by Bluetooth plays album playlist and hands free. Sounds fantastic compared to old stuff. The head unit is easy to fit in the end, I made a meal of it, as per. Plugs straight in to the old standard vw stereo blocks. Just swapped the 2 wires for constant and ignition live at the head unit on the connectors that came with it, simple once you know. And put a little sub in the boot to help the bass. The best value for money £500 the cars had spent on it.

Hey you mentioned Dremel to fit the Ifinities - are the not a direct fit/replacement?

Thanks!

The holes on the speakers were in the right place, just a little small. The plastic back plate however needs serious surgery.

Plastic back plate that comes with the speakers that is. You don't need to do anything with the door card. You probably don't need the plate, but I thought it for the best to make it fit. Has any one else fitted these without the plate

Been looking to do this meself. That alpine kit really is one hell of a snip hey, are they really much of an upgrade? Or can anyone recommend anything that'll be similar in terms of ease of installation? Don't mind spending a bit, or doctoring a bit. Just no shelf slicing!

A lot of people say it's a waste of time changing these speakers due to the size. Personally I have just changed mine for the Alpines this evening and I disagree, I'm really impressed with the sound! Previously I had the original Nokias in there which were totally shot, so I guess anything was an improvement and I didn't want to start cutting up my parcel shelf!

The installation was a breeze, two screws underneath and just push the speakers out from underneath. The Alpines were a direct replacement without the need of adjustments, all you need to do is then cut off the original speaker wire connectors and then either solder or use connectors.

All in all a very worthwhile upgrade!

I've got some Infinity Kappa 52.9 speakers to replace the door speakers but think I'll wait until the weekend to do them. I don't fancy taking my door cards off with just my front drive security light going on and off as my only light! :scratch:

Hahaha! Stop it man, I need to do them as well! Both the rear and fronts sound like robocop's bollox slapping together and I seem to have settled on a rather expensive head unit... that said, I'd love to hear your review. Damn it, I'm in! You gonna bother with the dash speakers?

[quote all you need to do is then cut off the original speaker wire connectors and then either solder or use connectors.

You can get adaptors of Ebay that connect to the original loom and end in spade clips for just a few quid, saves cutting any original wires

[quote all you need to do is then cut off the original speaker wire connectors and then either solder or use connectors.

You can get adaptors of Ebay that connect to the original loom and end in spade clips for just a few quid, saves cutting any original wires

Do you have an eBay link... Had a look and no joy... Was thinking about making some up.

Hahaha! Stop it man, I need to do them as well! Both the rear and fronts sound like robocop's bollox slapping together and I seem to have settled on a rather expensive head unit... that said, I'd love to hear your review. Damn it, I'm in! You gonna bother with the dash speakers?

I'm probably going to remove the dash speakers and just place the tweeters that come with the speakers in there. Although I'm no expert - maybe other members can share what they have done, have they upgraded, removed or kept the dash speakers?

Thanks!!