Thursdave

Reshelling - possible on driveway?

Howdy folks. Spotted a corrado shell on Ebay which would be ideal for my '91 G60 - no rust, limited dings, and looks to be in very good nick.

It's not a rolling shell, sadly, but i'm happy enough moving the interior etc over. However, where I live atm doesn't have any cover, and although I work at a garage it's not likely they'd let me jam up two ramps for a week or so while I change it all over.

Is changing engine/gearbox front subframe and suspension something that it would be advisable to do on my own (with mates help) on my driveway?

Or should I ask one of you lovely people if anybody has the mechanical know how and capability to do it!

Cheers,

Dave

I've just done my front suspension and subframe on my vr6. That seemed relatively simple with research on here. Don't know about the engine gearbox bit as that would need more than axle stands and trolley jacks.

Nothing is impossible with the right tools.

Is a good time to have things cleaned and powder coated b4 putting them back on tho.

Take lots and lots of photos. From different angles. .. I hate forgetting how something should fit

I suppose it's possible. Keep in mind to get as much height as you can when lifting the car . Nuts and bolts that have been on a car for twenty five years can be a pig to shift . If you need a bar on a spanner you need room . I intended to do my underside myself , but the weather is shocking . I'm getting nowhere fast .

I suppose it all weather dependent really. The corrado is pretty easy to work on. The front end comes off easily and the entire engine and running gear can be slid out the front in one piece.

Hmm. sounds like it's possible but probably not something to undertake over the winter! I'll let this one pass for the moment, but someone else might appreciate it, ebay item number is: 391350932518

I love a bit of driveway mechanics so I'd say go for it. The physical swap could easily done in a weekend but the finishing touches would take that extra time.

If you've got the room you could get a marquee, to give you a bit of waterproof.

To remove the full engine, subframe and suspension in 1 big go is about 8 big bolts, obviously you have screws etc but you can undo all the non structural stuff in preparation, rear end is 6 bolts. Then you have brakes, exhaust etc. I'm only across bridge so could lend a hand if I have the time

Didn't realise the engine assembly would be that simple, tbh...

It's tempting but at the same time it's something I'd rather attempt with a paved driveway and proper garage, which hopefully i'll have this time next year!

Will be a lot easier with a garage agreed!

Yea, you have all the water pipes, loom etc but easiest way when reshelling is to unbolt suspension (2 bolts), front cross member (2 + 4 bumper bolts) and subframe (4 bolts) and the whole lot just wheels out.

Did a vr6 conversion on my mates cabby a few years back and that's what we did, parked donor car next to his and just unbolted, wheeled it out and rolled it under his

The other thing to consider is security. You don't want some pond life helping themselves as the shell probably won't have any security. As for doing it on the drive why not!

Yeah I'd wait if I were you, although there's certainly an argument for both sides. Certainly do-able, but this time of year breeds a severe lack of motivation, which may carry over into spring and it may lose the appeal. That said, it's an ideal time to take it slow, spread the cost of a load of nice new shiny bits (which I'm sure you'll be able to get without a problem!) and really go to town on every part of the car aside from bodywork.

Yeah, it would be nice to build into a known good body shell, really take my time on it.

However, I'm attempting to make it back to the Nurburgring in April, and so time is not on my side.

Just had message back from the seller and it's got ABS too, which would mean swapping my existing loom over also, as i've not got ABS. Someone should buy it, store it, then sell it to me in a year and a half! :D

I (with a mate) reshelled a mk2 Rocco... Single garage (more of a hindrance than a help .. Forever running out of space to stand, couldn't open a door fully etc) and a sloping driveway. We wheeled the dead shell out into the street strapped to some kind of bread pallet on wheels .... Neighbours loved us (!) Everything except the loom was swapped (sound deadening, headlining, the lot) in a week, but that was in the summer... Not sure I'd start anything that serious at this time of year though.