Sign in to follow this  
Tekara

What should i buy ?

Hi All

New to the forum, looks like a great place and a wealth of info and advice. Glad i found it.

Im looking for some advice on buying a Corrado, this would be my first car. Ive taken a look at the buyers guide and its got some good points to look out for.

Basically im looking for opinions as to which Corrado is going to be the best buy. The wild child in me says G60 but insurance is fair too steep. Reasonable im considering a 16v either 1.8 or 2.0. Ive had trouble finding details on the net as to performance and such, results see to be conflicting.

Which of the two is going to give the the biggest smile factor?.

Out of the two is there any real running cost difference?.

Finally are Corrados on the whole a reliable car, or do they require a good amount of TLC ?

Just looking for a fun every day car that i can tinker with, but wont require my weekends to be taken up with maintenance

Thanks in advance

If you want to tinker wirh your car, a Corrado could be the one for you...

Bear in mind that they're all getting on a bit, so while no worse than any other car of the same age, the cost of Corrado specific parts (bodywork and trim) means that it's vital you get one in good cosmetic condition.

Mechanically, the 16v cars are mostly Mk2/3 Golf, so easy to find parts and fix.

i think im right in saying that both the 1.8 and the 2.0 have 136bhp as standard. Reason is the cat on the 2.0. theres a bit of info on performance etc HERE. Again as you say tho results are different on different sites.

Consensus is that the 2.0 is a torquey-er engine than the 1.8, so despite the same power output it's a bit more satisfying to drive. The 2.0 also benefits from being the late exterior and interior (though some of the parts are less reliable for that) and also it's younger - you're rather more likely to find a 1995 2.0 16v in good shape than even the last of the 1.8 cars.

However, no Corrado is going to be a "good investment" - it's a massmarket car after all. I don't think any of us are under the mistaken impression that one day any of our cars will be worth more than we paid for them. The best we can hope for is that the market stays steady and we don't lose too much.

My 2p. :)

i think im right in saying that both the 1.8 and the 2.0 have 136bhp as standard. Reason is the cat on the 2.0. theres a bit of info on performance etc HERE. Again as you say tho results are different on different sites.

Not just the CAT, inlet cam is milder.

Consensus is that the 2.0 is a torquey-er engine than the 1.8, so despite the same power output it's a bit more satisfying to drive. The 2.0 also benefits from being the late exterior and interior (though some of the parts are less reliable for that) and also it's younger - you're rather more likely to find a 1995 2.0 16v in good shape than even the last of the 1.8 cars.

However, no Corrado is going to be a "good investment" - it's a massmarket car after all. I don't think any of us are under the mistaken impression that one day any of our cars will be worth more than we paid for them. The best we can hope for is that the market stays steady and we don't lose too much.

My 2p. :)

i wouldnt call the corrado a mass market car :?

Tekara, - Welcome to the forum m8 8)

IMO - which car you get will depend on what you want from it. I wouldn't call any car an "investment" as you will need to spend money on it. More important than wether you get a 1.8-16v or a 2.0-16v is the condition & history of the car. Find a good one that's been looked after. Be sure to get a HPI check done before you buy - regardless of how good the car looks.

All Corrado's need a bit of TLC & if they are given this, they will hold their value much better.

Thanks for the advice so far, Dr Mat I wasnt refering the purchase of a Corrado to be a money making investment, mearly a personal one. I hadnt even thought of making money, just want a nice car, and something uncommon.

Looking at what you've all said its probably best going with the 2.0.

I have a further question just regarding buying a Corrado. Is there a certain level of millage i should avoid ?. Normally id walk away from a car if its done over a 100k

However, no Corrado is going to be a "good investment" - it's a massmarket car after all. I don't think any of us are under the mistaken impression that one day any of our cars will be worth more than we paid for them.

Hmm, perhaps i am. I only paid £2000 for mine, and i rekon its worth more than that....... :wink: but then im prolly the exception that proves the rule! :D

Normally id walk away from a car if its done over a 100k

Personally, i dont understand why people would do that? EG. Fords Zetec engine has been proven to be better once its over 100k, than ever before!

My g60's done 155k and its running superb, with a charger thats kicking strong!

I have a further question just regarding buying a Corrado. Is there a certain level of millage i should avoid ?. Normally id walk away from a car if its done over a 100k

Corrado's with less than 100k (like mine :wink: ) are very few & far between. Be prepared to pay higher prices for very low mileage !!

Beware also of "clocked" cars - HPI check is a must.

1.8 16v is group 15 insurance whereas 2.016v is group 17 (same as G60). So, if you're worried about insurance the 1.8 is the one to go for. Personally though, I'd pay a few quid more and get a late 2.016v with late interior.

However, no Corrado is going to be a "good investment" - it's a massmarket car after all. I don't think any of us are under the mistaken impression that one day any of our cars will be worth more than we paid for them.

Hmm, perhaps i am. I only paid £2000 for mine, and i rekon its worth more than that....... :wink: but then im prolly the exception that proves the rule! :D

You can always make money by buying low from people who don't know the value of what they're selling - no matter whether it's cars, houses, cabbages or antique urns!!

Those who didn't get a bargain won't be in the same position I'll bet...

I did say massarket - VW only played off the "exclusivity" of the Corrado when it turned out they weren't going to be able to sell many of them!

Oh and no-one has so far mentioned the 2.0 8v - the cheapest Corrado to run by a long mile. It's got the looks, the handling plus a good dose of fuel economy and MUCH better reliability than any of the others. Plus it's a few insurance groups down on any of the other cars. It's also less likely to have been thrashed to death!!

Ok, at 115bhp it's not going to set your world on fire, but it'll move nicely and if budget dictates it's well worth looking at.

(Let's face it, if money were no object we'd all have VR6s with VWM VSRs and super/turbo chargers... :) )

Didnt realise the 2.0 8v was in a different insurance group, quick quotes online i did seemed to show any difference in price compared to the 16v. Will call some insurers and see what turns up.

Sorry to sound dumb but why are the 8v more reliable ? Could understand if they havent been trashed but is there any other reasons

why are the 8v more reliable ?

I'd be surprised if they were. I think all Corrados are fairly reliable - what you have to remember is that they're virtually all 10yrs old. Nothing lasts forever & parts will need replacing - regardless of which model you buy.

May be slightly cheaper on fuel but only if the engine is setup correctly

Less to go wrong on a 2.0 8v engine than a VR6, G60 or even a 16V. Plus the engine's torquey delivery means there's simply no need to rev them hard to make progress .. which goes back to the way they're driven I suppose.

But yeah, it's a Corrado after all so no doubt it will need replacement door handles and headlight switches before too long, no matter which one you go for.

:(

1.8 16v is group 15 insurance whereas 2.016v is group 17 (same as G60). So, if you're worried about insurance the 1.8 is the one to go for. Personally though, I'd pay a few quid more and get a late 2.016v with late interior.

When I insured mine last year I was told that it was group 16 for a 2.0 16V...

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/insur ... 1=&spare2=

Hope this link works... If not, set the following to be

for me, someone:

[code]
Volkswagen Corrado (1989-1996)

Derivative Insurance Group
1.8 16V 3d 15
2.0 8V 3d 16
2.0 8V 3d Auto 16
1.8 G60 3d 17
2.0 16V 3d 17
2.9 VR6 3d 18
2.9 VR6 3d Auto 18
2.9 VR6 Storm 3d 18
2.9 VR6 Storm 3d Auto 18
[/code]

Note that I've seen Storms listed as group 19, and I'm surprised that there's no reduction for the 2.0 8v - I was under the impression the top two were the wrong way round!

Thanks again guys, been a big help so far. Just need to read up on common faults, and go searching for one. Oh and of course how could i forget :mad: hand over my wallet to the insurers.