graham1971

VR6 Automatic gear shift surround

I have one here , it's in good condition but it has a hole where an alarm led was fitted

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

Thanks for that but it's a late model VR6 Auto, its a different shape to that one and has no sport/eco switch. Looks like the one in a MK3 Golf but it's a slightly different size.

Annoyingly VW Classic Parts list these, but seemingly only for the style with the switch as well - the same as what easypops has.

Hi, don't mean to bomb your post but do you mean the entire unit or the piece plastic which displays the gear selection? If so, that's what I need too... I.e. not the entire surround but the piece which displays the gears (P/R/N/1/2/)... something has dropped on mine and knocked a small hope where 2nd gear is displayed. If anyone knows how to repair/replace would be interested to know!

I was looking at getting a vinyl sticker printed but should the gear selection illuminate? Mine doesn't currently but wondering whether it should and hence whether I need to get the vinyl sticker to be transparent.

there is s small bulb with a rigid green filter which provides illumination. I replaced mine with a red led which imho looked much nicer!

Seems I have more to do than just replacing the trim! how do you replace the bulb? Any help appreciated!

I've got one in the garage but not sure if its off a golf so wouldn't fit a corrado. It has a crack in it anyway, I wanted it for the strip which I think is in good nick but could not work out how to get it off in one piece. I can get a picture if anyone is interested.

I've tried a MK3 Golf one, it was the wrong size unfortunately and the number strip has different gaps so that can't be salvaged either!

Have you tried heritage?

They only have the one for the early model like the one pictured above with the eco/sport switch.

Anyone had any luck with either repairing or sourcing one of these. I have been struggling with this for over a year.

I don't need the entire surround but the piece which displays the gears (P/R/N/1/2/)...

some of the numbers have cracks in the surface and so looking a bit tatty.

I'm currently trying to source a printed vinyl type version as I've also been looking (with no luck) problem is the transparency for it to illuminate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the material that different to the material used , when people have changed the colour on the heater illumination?.

Illumination is changed by the diffuser on the bulb inside, I think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone share what type of bulb is required for the auto box please? Keep struggling now it's winter and can't what gear to select!

The bulb is unfortunately a VW special - you can plug a standard bulb into the socket on the 'wrong' side (for LHD cars) but on the RHD version there's a small plastic cross piece that contains two wires with crimped-on contacts which are soldered to a small 12V bulb. I gave away my last spare but it's the same as automatic Mk3 Golfs so you may get lucky in a scrapyard. Worst-case you can solder a new bulb onto your adapter wires, although they do run hot and replacing it with an LED might be a better option.

I did once dismantle a Mk3's shifter plate and scan it so I have a PDF of the correct font somewhere. Might be useful for someone to make a decal if you spaced it out correctly?

Stone

Thanks Stone, useful information... I was thinking of speaking to an auto electrician and seeing whether they could do that for me, although the breakers yard is worth a shot.

What type of LED do you think it would require? Any ideas?

Thanks!

I just used a 5mm red led with a resistor on mine when it was an auto, although it did have the clipol-on diffuser on top.

Thats the easiest and simplest/ cheapest solution. Plus the light is nice and bright.so you can clearly see which gear you're selecting

The LHD drive bulb can be made to fit - I did just this earlier in the year, it was surprisingly straightforward. I think I had to get the bulb from the USA if I recall correctly.