Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

I hate Ipswich - Now fixed!! :) :)

Ipswich roundabouts + lots of rain + idiot driver + cheapo budget tyres = Arse.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

That doesn't look good mate! :cry:

Hopefully just superficial panel damage...

Yeah it seems to just be panel damage, it was only at 20mph or so. But that rear quater aint gonna be cheap to fix :cry: :cry:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ........ouch!!!........gutted for ya matey :cry: :cry: :( ............like VR6 says .....i hope its only panel damage

Well at least it means I can get the scuff in the bumper fixed on the cheap... just a shame it's going to involve about £2k of panel work to do so :(:(:(:(

Ouch mate. I really sympathise... you've only had your C for a week or two!! :(

Good luck getting it sorted!!

Yeah a sour end to an otherwise good evening. The car looks worse than the pictures portray for some reason though!

I'm prettry sure the damage is superficial although the rear quarter being double skinned is structural and not an easy/cheap panel to replace. I've had a rear 1/4 done on a MK2 before, so any competent bodyshop will cope with that no probs.

I reckon you hit a patch of diesel mate because my front tyres went a bit light for a fraction of a second, so there was clearly something slippery on that roundabout.

Ouch mate. I really sympathise... you've only had your C for a week or two!! :(

Yeah tell me about it. I blame Kev, I was following him at the time... :shock:

Oh well, it's only money.

On the plus side I do have a nice shiney new bearing for my serpentine tensioner :D

Oh I forgot to mention. Have a look under the car tomorrow in the daylight for any damage done to the underneath from going up the kerb (sump etc) and flattening that poor tree!

Yeah will do, I'll be making the embarrasing phone call to a few body shops too.

Thanks for all your help Kev, you were fab, even if I am a nonce.

Yeah tell me about it. I blame Kev, I was following him at the time... :shock:

Yeah that was quite bizarre....one second you were behind me, then I looked again and you were going sideways!

Oh well, it's only money.

That's the spirit..... it happens ! As a lot of us can testify!

No worries mate. Other than that little mishap, it's a lovely car and I'm jealous of all the extra goodies yours has got that mine hasn't!

lol also notice my unintentional humour when naming those files. Well I guess you gotta laugh, otherwise you'll cry...

Gutted for you mate, that really is bad luck.

I hate to sound a pessimist but that rear quarter is gonna be the pricey part. Alot of Corrados get written off due to the cost involved in replacing a quarter panel :(

Might be worth not going thru the insurance to protect your car from being classed a Cat D?

Sorry mate.

LOL... oh yeah! Good that you can laugh about it now though.....

"I can't believe I've just done that to a Corrado" LOL, that should be your new signature :wink:

It shouldn't be *too* bad Asim. I had a rear 1/4 done a MK2, new bumper and new BBS RM (all from VAG) and it came to £1100 all in. The only thing I couldn't work out fully is how they'd blend the new panel to the roof line that spans from the rear to the A frame. Rear 1/4s normally terminate behind the door but it's different on the C.

It's a 5K car so shouldn't be written off imo. Hope not anyway.

K

I hate to sound a pessimist but that rear quarter is gonna be the pricey part. Alot of Corrados get written off due to the cost involved in replacing a quarter panel :(

Might be worth not going thru the insurance to protect your car from being classed a Cat D?

Sorry mate.

Yeah I know it's gonna be mucho money, which is why it's going nowhere near my insurance. My premiums are high enough as it is and if I get it done myself I can choose where it goes. I've also still got my *cough* Corsa to get me to work :roll:

"I can't believe I've just done that to a Corrado" LOL, that should be your new signature :wink:

't has already been changed :)

It shouldn't be *too* bad Asim. I had a rear 1/4 done a MK2, new bumper and new BBS RM (all from VAG) and it came to £1100 all in. The only thing I couldn't work out fully is how they'd blend the new panel to the roof line that spans from the rear to the A frame. Rear 1/4s normally terminate behind the door but it's different on the C.

It's a 5K car so shouldn't be written off imo. Hope not anyway.

K

Mate, the only reason I know is that I bought a damaged and written off Corrado VR for salvage last year that needed a quarter and it was worth alot more than 5k. It's the labour involved in doing a quarter "by the book" that causes alot of C's to be written off. The "full" new quarter panel is welded into the strip above the rear quarter glass. If the damage in this case is below the swage line, one way to reduce costs would be to cut the original quarter panel on the swage line directly under the quarter glass and then weld the new panel onto this point. This route is not by the book (as that involves doing the whole panel) but if done by a proper skilled bodyshop would be a ok, especially when considering cost. It may be an option, as long as the bodyshop know what they're doing.

HTH and good luck dinkus

Mate, the only reason I know is that I bought a damaged and written off Corrado VR for salvage last year that needed a quarter and it was worth alot more than 5k. It's the labour involved in doing a quarter "by the book" that causes alot of C's to be written off. The "full" new quarter panel is welded into the strip above the rear quarter glass. If the damage in this case is below the swage line, one way to reduce costs would be to cut the original quarter panel on the swage line directly under the quarter glass and then weld the new panel onto this point. This route is not by the book (as that involves doing the whole panel) but if done by a proper skilled bodyshop would be a ok, especially when considering cost. It may be an option, as long as the bodyshop know what they're doing.

HTH and good luck dinkus

Ah that's good to know. Have you got any idea how much it would have cost to get one 'done by the book' and how much it is to have it done your way?

Dinkus, thats really bad luck :( , if your going to do this yourself, find a breaker and start cutting. Here is a shot from ETKA of the rear quarter.

Dinkus, thats really bad luck :( , if your going to do this yourself, find a breaker and start cutting. Here is a shot from ETKA of the rear quarter.

Nah I don't mind doing mechanical stuff, but I'm not touching bodywork. Mechanics either works or it doesn't, bodywork is an art form!

I'll see what the damage is at the local bodyshop...

Thanks for the diagram though, should come in useful

If it helps, I know exactly how you must feel surveying the damage to your C. Take a peek at what happened to mine, [ http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight= ] and if it helps, all of my damage was repaired by panel beating (no new panels required).

The de-ja-vous I had looking at your pics made me shudder :(

Hope you get it all sorted mate, fingers crossed for ya :thumb right:

LvP.

Well it's nice to see that your C made a full recovery. And it sounds like the highly recommended local body shop could start on the work next week. Just need to get a wallet damage estimate now.

Thanks for the support guys and sorry to expose you to such a horrid sight. That rear quater had quite a few parking dings in it anyway, so it's not the end of the world that it's going to get replaced.

Hopefully it'll be good as new soon. I'll get the rear bumper and spoiler re-sprayed so I can get rid of the scratches on there as well.