Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

I hate Ipswich - Now fixed!! :) :)

Jeees - only just saw this!!!

There was a hell of a lot of rain here last nite but if it looks like the road i think it is I'm not sure how you came off there as its pretty straight?? :roll: - are you sure you didn't have some sort of mechanical failure??

I'm pretty sure it would be written off by insurance but someone will be able o fix it privatly, like Kev says it looks pretty superficial damage really (check the sump etc tho) - Hope you get it sorted anyways mate :|

Jeees - only just saw this!!!

There was a hell of a lot of rain here last nite but if it looks like the road i think it is I'm not sure how you came off there as its pretty straight?? :roll: - are you sure you didn't have some sort of mechanical failure??

I'm pretty sure it would be written off by insurance but someone will be able o fix it privatly, like Kev says it looks pretty superficial damage really (check the sump etc tho) - Hope you get it sorted anyways mate :|

I lost it coming off the roundabout outside the Audi dealership :roll: 'twas bloomin slippy and it has cheapo budget tyres on it. Still pretty shocking though cos we really weren't going fast at all. It would have made me feel slightly better about it if I'd been doing 50 or so, but it was more like 20.

I went to get a quote just now and they said they can start work on it Weds next week if I want. They've also done a few Corrado's before, including a Storm that went in twice last year for a full front rebuild! So hopefully they know their stuff, but I gotta see what the cost is going to be.

I had a check under the car, it all looks fine and there's no oil patch under it. There's a small piece of tree lodged under there though lol.

I am a little worried cos when I stopped it after coming back from the bodyshop it made a strange sucking/gurgling noise coming from the passenger footwel type areal... there doesn't appear to be anything leaking out (although the car was soaking wet) any ideas what it could be?

Mate, the only reason I know is that I bought a damaged and written off Corrado VR for salvage last year that needed a quarter and it was worth alot more than 5k. It's the labour involved in doing a quarter "by the book" that causes alot of C's to be written off. The "full" new quarter panel is welded into the strip above the rear quarter glass. If the damage in this case is below the swage line, one way to reduce costs would be to cut the original quarter panel on the swage line directly under the quarter glass and then weld the new panel onto this point. This route is not by the book (as that involves doing the whole panel) but if done by a proper skilled bodyshop would be a ok, especially when considering cost. It may be an option, as long as the bodyshop know what they're doing.

HTH and good luck dinkus

Ah that's good to know. Have you got any idea how much it would have cost to get one 'done by the book' and how much it is to have it done your way?

Sorry mate, I don't have a figure to quote, but suffice to say if it's all cut out and replaced with a new panel it's alot! Hence the write off concerns. Sounds like you're getting somewhere locally. If you're still looking for a good bodyshop let me know as there's a good one I can recommend, but it won't be local for you. Good luck with it all.

:shock: Nasty mate, thats bad.

Sorry to try and make a sale out of your misfortune but

I know of someone with that side rear quarter brand new for sale.

Well if you know of one going cheap, every penny counts and all.

I'm deciding whether I should go through the insurance or not, my dad knows a few good body shops in the area that are used a lot by the insurance companies, so I can probably get a good job done there.

The issue is whether it's a write off or not though... can I ask to claim, then if they say it's a write off just get money out of them instead?

Well my mate has that side Genuine brand new vag panel, by all means ring up vw see what one is, then come back too me make a "sensible" offer and its yours, not a mark on it. If you wearnt happy when u saw it u could by all means walkaway.

Was bought for a Corrado repair but has since bought a shell which is also newer and is going that route. anyway see what happens if u want it, its here.

I have seen corado's with less damage then that be written off. quite borderline i think, but the crazy way things are i think it would be.

Well my mate has that side Genuine brand new vag panel, by all means ring up vw see what one is, then come back too me make a "sensible" offer and its yours, not a mark on it. If you wearnt happy when u saw it u could by all means walkaway.

Was bought for a Corrado repair but has since bought a shell which is also newer and is going that route. anyway see what happens if u want it, its here.

I have seen corado's with less damage then that be written off. quite borderline i think, but the crazy way things are i think it would be.

Aye, it is a bit soul destroying, but I'm not letting it die. I am gonna get it repaired, but it's just a matter of how it's paid for. If the insurance company want to write it off then I'll try and firstly make sure they have the value of the car right, and if that still doesn't work, see if they'll pay for some of the repairs and I pay the rest. We shall see.

I'll almost certainly have that panel off you though. I'll call my friendly $tealer and find out how much they are and make you an offer.

I'd bet that the insurance will write that off... my first Corrado had less damage to the body than that about 4.5 years ago and they wrote that off as soon as they saw it... :(

I wish I'd have repaired it now rather than going thru the insurance and then scrapping it, as the parts to fix it weren't that expensive, it was the "ah! it's an insurance job" labour rates which wrote it off... :( :cry:

I'd bet that the insurance will write that off... my first Corrado had less damage to the body than that about 4.5 years ago and they wrote that off as soon as they saw it... :(

Do you reckon I could get them to pay for maybe the front only damage and I pay for the rest? Rather than them saying it's a write off? It would be better for them as they would end up paying out less money, than giving me the money for a new one.

It shouldn't be *too* bad Asim. I had a rear 1/4 done a MK2, new bumper and new BBS RM (all from VAG) and it came to £1100 all in. The only thing I couldn't work out fully is how they'd blend the new panel to the roof line that spans from the rear to the A frame. Rear 1/4s normally terminate behind the door but it's different on the C.

It's a 5K car so shouldn't be written off imo. Hope not anyway.

K

Mate, the only reason I know is that I bought a damaged and written off Corrado VR for salvage last year that needed a quarter and it was worth alot more than 5k. It's the labour involved in doing a quarter "by the book" that causes alot of C's to be written off. The "full" new quarter panel is welded into the strip above the rear quarter glass. If the damage in this case is below the swage line, one way to reduce costs would be to cut the original quarter panel on the swage line directly under the quarter glass and then weld the new panel onto this point. This route is not by the book (as that involves doing the whole panel) but if done by a proper skilled bodyshop would be a ok, especially when considering cost. It may be an option, as long as the bodyshop know what they're doing.

HTH and good luck dinkus

I am with you there mate - the rear quarter panel is a expensive and difficult job - 2yrs ago my £5k 16V was written off because of the fact it required both sides doing.... :(

I think you guys are being overly pessimistic. Let's just wait and see what Dom's bodyshop has to say on the matter before being prophet's of doom.

As I say, I've had a rear 1/4 done on a MK2 and it posed no difficulty to the bodyshop at all. They repair Ferraris for most of London's prestige dealers, so I think they can handle a Volkswagen!!

The Corrado is built in the same modular fashion as the MK2 Golf so I'm really not expecting this car to be written off. The panels are designed to be easily replaced, just lift the tailgate and check the join lines if you don't believe me. What's that if it isn't modular panel work?

I just feel some of you treat the Corrado like it's a rare, hand built one-off that no bodyshop will want to touch. Well, it isn't I'm afraid..... it's a bunch of pressed steel plates spot welded together, and what can be joined together can unjoined and replaced, simple as that.

K

The body shop knew exactly what was involved in replacing the panels needed. I suggested MoonlightVR's idea of cutting and welding on below the swage line and the guy almost had a fit... he said you *can* do that, but usually you would cut across the smallest possible width area and weld there instead, as you are more likely to be able to get a good finish then. He said cutting across under the swage line would actually involve just as much effort/time/welding as putting in a whole new panel. But we shall see what their quote is first. They're not cheap, I know that, but they do a damn good job.

Yeah you'd be better off replacing the whole panel mate, and only use VW steel as it's much better at resisting rust.

Yeah you'd be better off replacing the whole panel mate, and only use VW steel as it's much better at resisting rust.

Yup, that's what I'm thinking. No point in saving a few quid to get cheapo steel now, only to need it re-done in a couple of years time.

Thats why u want my mates genuine vag rear quarter, came in a box the size of a small house.

Indeed it is ;)

Would you be able to send me some photo's of it?

Probably pie in the sky but here's a suggestion:

My suggestion above is to cut a panel off of a breaker, you cut extra off and then then use a spot weld tool and grinder to gentley take the excess off. It would take a few hours but save hundreds.

I think I'm talking crapola but it might work

If Dom is putting it through the insurance (not sure if he is yet) then he'd be better off going for the full Monty.

I got my MK2 1/4, bumper and wheel done as private work as I know the bodyshop well and they did for £1100. It would have been twice that under insurance as they replace every single little thing and really milk it.

I didn't realise Bodyshops have to pay insurance companies to be in the recommended scheme, so where private work is involved, they can obviously save you that cost and lower the labour rates.

K

I think you guys are being overly pessimistic. Let's just wait and see what Dom's bodyshop has to say on the matter before being prophet's of doom.

As I say, I've had a rear 1/4 done on a MK2 and it posed no difficulty to the bodyshop at all. They repair Ferraris for most of London's prestige dealers, so I think they can handle a Volkswagen!!

The Corrado is built in the same modular fashion as the MK2 Golf so I'm really not expecting this car to be written off. The panels are designed to be easily replaced, just lift the tailgate and check the join lines if you don't believe me. What's that if it isn't modular panel work?

I just feel some of you treat the Corrado like it's a rare, hand built one-off that no bodyshop will want to touch. Well, it isn't I'm afraid..... it's a bunch of pressed steel plates spot welded together, and what can be joined together can unjoined and replaced, simple as that.

K

That's your opinion mate and that's fine. I'm basing my comments on my own experiences of getting quotes for a similar repair. And I wasn't going to back street garages either! The rear quarter on a Corrado costs over double that of a Mk2 Golf. The quarter panel is a VW only item. No aftermarket panels are available. The work is more involved on a Corrado, which pushes the labour time up considerably. Add these together and you end up with an expensive job. At the end of the day this is why the chances of write off are so high with this sort of repair.

With regard to considering the Corrado as a rare expensive car to repair, well it is exactly that! Just look at the insurance grouping and compare it with similar cars and the Corrado is high for what it is. Being a high performance coupe they are never going to be in a low grouping, but clearly the high chances of them being pranged, together with the high cost of putting them right means a high group is the only place for them.

Check the link above for a detailed view on how this is done. Dinkus it appears these are the instructions you need to cut one off another car.

The body shop knew exactly what was involved in replacing the panels needed. I suggested MoonlightVR's idea of cutting and welding on below the swage line and the guy almost had a fit... he said you *can* do that, but usually you would cut across the smallest possible width area and weld there instead, as you are more likely to be able to get a good finish then. He said cutting across under the swage line would actually involve just as much effort/time/welding as putting in a whole new panel. But we shall see what their quote is first. They're not cheap, I know that, but they do a damn good job.

That's fine mate. There's more than one way to skin a cat :lol: It was suggested to me so I passed it on. The main thing is you get it sorted to how it was before without financial ruin. I'm sure you'll get there. Keep us posted.